Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

Star Wars Games

Ok, so I thought it fitting to discuss what SW games we're all playing. Or perhaps I should say still playing as not many have been released lately.

I've been meaning to reinstall XW Alliance and start modding it up as I've not played the game in probably 6 years! I have played Battlefront 1 and 2, and still have 2 installed, as at least there's some fighters in it. The infantry combat is also pretty good, but the Jedis are a joke.

For great lightsaber combat, I have Jedi Academy still installed. There are tons of mods for this as well. It maybe 3.5 yrs old, but it still rocks. :ok:

On the RPG front, KOTOR 1 and 2 are great games. K2 is of course that grand disappointment, starting out to be far better than 1 and finishing up as far less. Still, it's possible to see what K2 could've been and I like it for that.

For RTS fans, SW: Empire at War and the Forces of Corruption addon are excellent games. Really looks like massive battles from the films at times! The older Galactic Battlegrounds I still enjoy, even though it's purely land-based and has some issues as the thing is more or less a giant Age of Kings mod.

The other game I have right now is Lego Star Wars 2, and I'll tell you this thing is FUN. :grin:

I actually like the little Lego people...yes i play it and enjoy it.

I always stuck to the 'flight' simulators...I just like the idea of being behind the controls of a X-Wing or TIE.

As for missions, there's like 500-700 mission files, in many sets, converted from the old DOS XW or TF for use with XvT on my site. Got three mission sets for XWA that I've never uploaded. Mostly XWA upgrades of the XvT sets.

Guess I'll have to upload them...

Wrench

Kevin Stein

I actually like the little Lego people...yes i play it and enjoy it.

Yes get them uploaded...and tell all your friends to come here and get them,I want this place to grow and become known as much for these forums as the Thirdwire ones.

I have the stand alone for SW X-wing and Tie Figter, and I have X-wing Alliance. I can't get them to work on my new computer (bought in Sept 06) with Win XP

I have the stand alone for SW X-wing and Tie Figter, and I have X-wing Alliance. I can't get them to work on my new computer (bought in Sept 06) with Win XP

Try a program called DOSBox.....It's a DOS emulator.

I use it to run XWing, TIE Fighter and the original Dark Forces.

Try a program called DOSBox.....It's a DOS emulator.

I use it to run XWing, TIE Fighter and the original Dark Forces.

Thanks for the info but I still have my old computer so I'll be putting X-Wing and TIE Fightter on that. Will DOSBox work on a computer running Windows XP? so I can play X-Wing Alliance? if so, where can I get it

When I got this machine in Dec 04, when I loaded XvT and XWA, I just used the 'compatabiility' thingy...think I set it Win98.

haven't flown either in a while...guess I'll have to test and make sure they're still working!

What's good about XvT, is you don't have to worry about time lines fouling.

As for the mission sets, they're other folks work from the DOS series (XW, TF), I just did the conversion/editing to make the playable in XvT. Some of them need the Draconis Ship Patch, especially the ones converted from TF. Never could get the dos batch file to work in XP; had to use an old 98 machine to run it, then transfer the ENTIRE game over to the new machine (that was fun ...NOT!!!)

Not sure about copywrites; for personal site like me don't seem to be a problem. For for a big one like this...well, most of the missions sets have original dates from 1994 and up!

Take a browse over there, and let me know if you want any of them uploaded. Some are pretty good (if I say so myself; after major editing!!) One of the best is "Battle in the Outer Rim Territorties". Orignially, it replaced the 5 campaigns in XW. Another major rebuild, of good missions to star, is "Headhunter TOD". That one, historically, is one of the first sets EVER built for XW -- in the Dark Days of DOS.

I like it, what can I say????

Wrench

Kevin Stein

IMHO X-Wing Alliance still rocks, especially with the improved 3D models made by modders for almost all the ships and objects appearing in the game. BTW, hasn't anyone tried the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Pack for X-Wing Alliance?

And some interesting stuff: X-Wing graphics through time.

Yes, that site has a link to the site I was thinking of, xwaupgrade!

I WILL get to do that someday.

Too bad the only SW games on the horizon now are announced for consoles only. :sad:

i actually collect all starwars and have X-wing,alliance,battle fronts,battle grounds,knights of the old republic 1-2,jedi knight darkfoces,rebal assalt,jedi knight outcast,jedi knight jedi acadamy,

i actually collect all starwars and have X-wing,alliance,battle fronts,battle grounds,knights of the old republic 1-2,jedi knight darkfoces,rebal assalt,jedi knight outcast,jedi knight jedi acadamy,

I started my Star Wars Gaming with X-Wing on floppy disk, then TIE Fighter and Darkforces were a big deal when they came out on CDs. Over the years i have collected alot of star wars games like Rebel Assault 1&2,Jedi Knight,MOTS,Jedi Outcast,Jedi Academy,Kotor 1&2,XWA,Clone Wars for the X-Box and several others i cant think of offhand.

Most of these games have been mentioned but no one has said anything about Star Wars Galaxies. I know it got a bad rep when the Major Changes were made, but i came along after that happened and i love SWG. The game is so deep, You can go almost anywhere on the ground and the Space part reminds me of a Upgraded XWA.

If you have not tried it yet i would recommend it. If your are new to the game the whole issue of Pre-CU and other changes will not be missed and if you are a veteran who left during that whole mess, give it another shot during one of the free weekends that is offered every so often.

I have so many great memorys from this game of everything from slapping Vader and getting Choked out, to Running smuggling missions across Tatooine, To decorating my house which sits just outside Mos Eisley. For real SW Fans this game is paradise IMO!

I played SWG for a time.....now i play Vangaurd. iu just got so board of no rebs comming out to fight that i finaly just said screw it. i was in DxE on the bloodfin server THE PVP sever and no Rebs would come out and play it was so sad....

I played all those old SW games on the PC.

Rebel Assault, first that required a CDROM, a hint of the console-type games to come.

Dark Forces, first official SW FPS game (there were Doom mods out first).

X Wing, a game doing officially what Wing Commander had already done unofficially.

One of the must fun SW games ever made really didn't need to be in the SW universe at all, Ep I Pod Racer. It was just a fun racing game with upgrades and all.

Thanks for the info but I still have my old computer so I'll be putting X-Wing and TIE Fightter on that. Will DOSBox work on a computer running Windows XP? so I can play X-Wing Alliance? if so, where can I get it

Yes, DOSBox runs just fine on XP...in fact, it was built for XP.

MS took DOS out when they made XP, hence the need for a DOS emulator.

If I recall, X-Wing Alliance does not require DOS. It will run just fine on it's own.

XWA and XvT were both Windows-native. So was the XW Collector's series or whatever it was called.

Wow, I remember those games. Hours of fun and frustration.

I never got XWA because I was rather disapointed by XvT, but looking into it now, it looks more like the xwing and tie fighter that I loved...the graphics could be better now, but they're servicable

One thing I've had my eye on recently is this star wars mod for a recent space sim "starshatter: the gathering storm" The game itself looks decent, a very modable independantly developed game. It's supposed to have a good dynamic campaign system and being able to go from space to planets/systems. With a star wars TC and more star wars ships than I knew existed, it fits my craving for a fly everything space combat game with modern graphics. I haven't bought it yet, but as soon as that mod is done, I certainly am.

Yeah, too bad as XWA was like another X Wing with XvT-type graphics, better actually!

It wasn't as good as TIE Fighter, but it was on a par with the original.

I have been playing Empire at War on PC and have SW Battlefront 1 and 2 on the X-box, though I often often play them with some of the 3rd party maps on my friends LAN. I also own Knights of the Old Republic 2, Republic Commando and SW Obi-Wan, but rarely play those.

I never got to play Obi Wan as I never had an Xbox. I remember the day they dumped PC and went Xbox-only for it...a dark day indeed.

A dark day?

A lucky day, as us PC guys were able to avoid a steaming pile of ****!

That game was god awful....worse than the Jango Fett game.

Well, in an ideal world the game would've come out for PC and been as good as the Jedi Knight games. :grin:

As it was, its failure to come out did make LA go back and revive the JK games, but in the event we only got 2 games--JK2 and JA--before LA seemed to give it up in favor of more console-only games, the KOTOR RPG pair, and the Battlefront pair.

In every case, though, they've let the franchise die. The 2 new JK games came out, people loved them, they stopped. The 2 KOTOR games came out, people loved them (although despised the short stick they gave KOTOR 2), they stopped. SWB1 and 2 came out, they did very well, and now nothing almost 2 years after SWB2's release.

The only thing they've done recently was Empire at War and its addon, and of course the sad story that is SW Galaxies.

I find the Lego games to be better than half the stuff Lucasarts puts out. The production value is absolutely amazing and the game play is nicely paced.

Oops, forgot about the Lego games! Yeah, those are an example of how to do it. Don't know why LA has had such trouble figuring that out.