Sign in to follow this  
Revvin

Oh good grief!

Its sad I know but I'm starting to feel the hype over Halo 3. I've not completed the other two yet so I've started to play the first one through to complete the single player campaign. I got Halo bundled with my original XBOX but bought Halo 2 for multiplay as I do most games so never cared for the single play but now I feel I may be missing out if I buy Halo 3 and don't have the full single play experience. I'm 33 yrs old and yes I feel ashamed for feeling the hype :biggrin:

Reviews so far are coming out very well for it, as with most stuff I buy it for the multiplayer aspect and that does look good in Halo 3 although I never got a chance to play the BETA, in some ways I'm kinda glad as it won't spoil it for me. I'm playing through the original Halo I had bundled with my original Xbox and its aged quite well which was a surprise as I remember playing through Half-Life again just before Half-Life 2 arrived and it seemed far more dated.

Less distance. HL2 came out 6 years after HL1. Halo 3 is I think 4 years after Halo, and 2 after Halo 2?

never been very impressed by the Halo series.

As a PC gamer who cut his teeth on Wolfenstien, Doom, Rise of the Triad, etc I might be a little jaded.....

everything I saw in Halo was a feature from FPS x or FPS y.

The outdoor stuff was awesome. But then once you went down into the underground bases and stuff, everything tended to look the same.

never been very impressed by the Halo series.

As a PC gamer who cut his teeth on Wolfenstien, Doom, Rise of the Triad, etc I might be a little jaded.....

everything I saw in Halo was a feature from FPS x or FPS y.

Yes I started out with Wolfenstein and played just about every FPS going and they all lend features from one another, there has been no massive evolutions unless you count game styles such as the original CTF mod for Quake perhaps or game styles brought into Unreal Tournament.

The outdoor stuff was awesome. But then once you went down into the underground bases and stuff, everything tended to look the same.

Yes underground inside bases does give you deja vu that is one dissapointing aspect. I bought Halo 3 yesterday but don't want to play single play until I've played through the others, fortunately the multiplayer aspect is great fun. It has really grabbed my attention after getting a little burnt out with the FPS genre, fortunately Halo 3 and Team Fortress 2 has got me playing again though. Some gamers have criticised the graphics, one Sony fnaboy site has dubbed it Halo 2.5 and I think thats a little unfair. I think the graphics are definately next gen and the maps have nice detail to them especially the forest type outdoors maps which feel very organic.

I still plaay FPS, but my focus has shifted from run and gun to tactical....I have always been a Rainbow 6 fan, but I started playing SWAT 4, and Raven Shield again. And I have always been a huge Ghost Recon fan

I think far too many people get blinded by the real world locations and weapons and think of it as being more tactical than a futuristic enviroment. All of those games you mention can be played as run and gun it just depends on the group you play with. I'm not saying you run and gun because you might find a group of friends who will play it tacticaly but you can also play any other FPS tactically if you so wish such as Halo 3 as I found last night planning attacks with players over the built in voice comms.

Edited by Revvin

I find myself working on the planning screens of games like R6 more than anything.

I just love the sneaking around with a MP5 more than blasting into a room with a BFG

Personal preference.

That said....there is something fun about the BFG....especially when your buddy is on the receiving end of it

I find myself working on the planning screens of games like R6 more than anything.

I just love the sneaking around with a MP5 more than blasting into a room with a BFG

Personal preference.

That said....there is something fun about the BFG....especially when your buddy is on the receiving end of it

There is much good fun to be had in games like R6 thats for sure, I'm sorry I meant no offense to you Paul in my comments and they were not really directed at you I just got fed up at another forum where users would tend to be a little snooty and look down on you if you didn't like the latest FPS with a real world location. They seemed to think they were somehow superior because they thought they played tactically when in reality a lot of them did not. The multiplayer aspect is very strong in Halo, I'd like to have seen maybe more than 16 players but then for a while I got fed up with the games that boasted 32 and 64 players because quite often it stopped being a game of skill and just a matter of running and gunning to hit as many targets as possible. There is something a little more 'gladitorial' about a smaller group of players fighting it out. Deathmatch is good fun but I do tend to choose the team based game variants such as VIP, Team Slayer, CTF etc.

None taken.

I was just saying I prefer the tactical, sneaking around type action.

I hate those fanboys who diss on everything that isn't "their game"....

"Oh....you are so gay cause you don't like Halo."

I work with that guy....I want to lock him in the bathroom and turn off the lights

I don't mind when people say they don't care for more realistic games and prefer the run-n-gun. That's fine.

I DO mind when that's how they play but they SAY they're not, and they bash the realistic games and hype the unrealistic ones as if they were realistic! I mean, really.

Don't tell me LOMAC is unrealistic but BF2's planes are!!

None taken.

I was just saying I prefer the tactical, sneaking around type action.

I hate those fanboys who diss on everything that isn't "their game"....

"Oh....you are so gay cause you don't like Halo."

I work with that guy....I want to lock him in the bathroom and turn off the lights

Yes the fanboys can be just as irritating as those who would look down on anyone who likes to play both real world location and futuristic FPS games just because they are not seen as 'hardcore' enough :rolleyes: Then you get those who will look down on you because you like to play FPS games on a console - oh the humanity! :biggrin: I've been playing FPS games for years of all varieties, if its entertaining then I'll play it :good:

Don't tell me LOMAC is unrealistic but BF2's planes are!!

Oh yeah....that is a fun conversation.

A guy recently started that conversation in the Helo section....he was looking for a good helo sim and listed OFP as a helo sim....Huh?