Gunrunner

Your first combat flight sim...

has anyone ever figured out how ot run Strike Commander on windows xp?

My video game days started way back in the 80's. For fictional stuff, it would have been After Burner on the Sega Master System and the arcade version. For the PC (on an ancient 8386), it would have been Microprose's Gunship.

Aces of the Pacific by Dynamix and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe by Lucasarts back in '93 or '94 I think. Loved those two games. Played them mostly on a friends' 386. Finally came up with enough to build my own and I was on my way... :smile:

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, back in '94. Man I loved that sim! And also 1942: The Pacific Air War. Both are timeless classics to me.

SVGA Air Warrior. I am pretty sure I got this at CompUSA around the '92 time frame. You played on-line using the GENIE service. It cost about $3.00/hour to play. It was so addictive you could rack up a mortgage payment in a month EASY.

You flew in a virtual arena with as many as 75-100 other people. There would be 3 countries, and each pilot belonged to one country. You would fly wing with your buddies, and patrol the enemy countries for victims. It was the greatest team sport any adult could participate in. There were no collisions, and a slight to moderate network lag, so the main tactic was to approach an unaware enemy aircraft from the rear and "fly through him shooting". Once past, you could look in your rear view mirror and watch the enemy plane explode, for conformation of your kill, or "keel", as we called them then.

think mine was Strike Commander ans far as with vids,but my very first was

B-1 Nuclear Bomber

B-1 Nuclear Bomber was coded entirely in BASIC. But unlike classic BASIC games such as Dan Bunten�s amazing Cartel$ & Cutthroat$ that push the envelope of the language, B-1 Nuclear Bomber is one of the worst of the bunch. As M. Evan Brooks observes in his synopsis, �its play mechanics are embarrassing in the contemporary market; in fact, its play mechanics were embarrassing when it was initially released. A virtual X-Y axis game of nuclear "bombs bursting in air".� Worth a look only if you are a nostalgic wargaming fan.

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/javascript.html

to see how bad it was check it out it was all text only one pic in the opening .

I played that! On my Atari 400! It had a cockpit with nothing really moving in it and no outside view, just white. The worst part was the kamikaze nuclear MiGs! They'd scramble, get closer and closer, and then NUCLEAR DETONATION! :dntknw:

My first flight sim is Yeager by EA in school comp 286 . First kill - I fly with Fw-190 and kill one B-29 in what if mission. I played this sim in 1992. Next old sims I played : Red Baron,Knights of the sky,Retaliator,Microprose F-15,Aces of Europe&Pacific,Dogfight...

First contact with teh virtual skies was Microprose's F-15 Strike Eagle 2, followed closely by F-19 Stealth Fighter and Dynamix's A-10 Thunderbolt. They were closely followed by first Aces over the Pacific and then Aces over Europe. Dang, I wish they'd done the X-Sequel they had planned... Dynamix ROCKED!!! :sorry:

After those came Jane's Fighters Anthology, and now WoE... And after you got hooked with TK's sims, what do you need more? :ok:

Hello everyone...

I think everybody remembers the famous TOPGUN Movie and game back in the mid 80's on Nintendo loool, I know it sounds rediculous but at least u can fire Phonex, sparrows, and sidewinders out of ur Mighty TomCat, I remember that it has carriers takeoffs, landings, and air-refuling as well !!!!!!!! pretty advanced old game huh....

Hello everyone...

I think everybody remembers the famous TOPGUN Movie and game back in the mid 80's on Nintendo loool, I know it sounds rediculous but at least u can fire Phonex, sparrows, and sidewinders out of ur Mighty TomCat, I remember that it has carriers takeoffs, landings, and air-refuling as well !!!!!!!! pretty advanced old game huh....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ofM11nPzFo0

We remember allright. This good fellah helped us.

lets see I think it was strike eagle on a commodor 64

and one that was on the apple IIe flying a bi plane that shot 3 round bursts and you had a total of 3 planes to shoot down

in the 90's i had a turbo graphics and played falcon

then 20 years later when i finnaly got my own pc there was mig alley and strike fighters ,woe,wov,woi,fe etc

my 1st was swopwith camel then there was Aces Of the Pacific and Aces over Eruope

EA's F117 and F-22.this was 1994

Commodore 64: Microprose Strike Eagle.

Inbound to the Libyan coast......

Been a mudhen driver ever since...... :good:

Chuck Yeager is probably the one I played the most. Also Tornado and TFX.

There was a F-117 published by EA ? Microprose's one or another ?

Funny how no one seems to have started with Fighter Bomber or Birds of Prey.

1) Jet was my first. Loved the Hornet!!

2) Falcon (the original) by Spectrum Holobyte, no steenken AT, gold or otherwise....just 4 colors... "CYMK baby" !! :biggrin:

Edited by drdoyo

8-bit times, around 1991: C-64 "Ace2" if my memory serves well -the one split screen Hornet vs Fishbed furballs. Funny times.

1996: DI's TORNADO -still have the original CD version with Desert Storm addon, rare to get that times in Poland -I did my first flat spin in that sim, didn't know what happens that time :smile:

Mine was probably Combat flight simulator 2 or 3.Not sure which one though :dntknw:

CFS2 = Pacific theater, Japanese, US, carriers

CFS3 = Euro theater, US, UK, Germany, NO carriers :grin:

When the german wall fell in 1989, a west german relative showed me Mircosofts flight simulator and Battlehawks 1942. I still have the original box of that.

Then it was Their finest hour, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Red Baronthe movie sucks aviatationwise, B17, Aces Series, EAW, IL2 and it's successive releases. Thirdwire got me hooked with WoV, somehow i missed the SFP1. Now it's WoE but i still get drawn back to WoV a lot.

S!

Chuck Yeagers Air Combat was the bomb. I also loved the the Dynamix series i had all of them. And i also used to play alot of SWOTL.