Sign in to follow this  
Fatman

Ground Object Roles

10-21-08

Have a question how many categories are there for Ground Object Roles. Which Ground Object Role

should be used for ships, ground troops, vehicles, tanks, artillery, and etc.

Thanks

Fatman

Off the top of my head....

Mobile_AAA

Static_AAA

Mobile_SAM

Static_SAM

Recon *

Transport

Tank

CargoShip

Warship

Artillery

*which is why a lot of vehicles don't show on armed recon mission - BTR50, M113, BRDM, etc - change their GroundObjectRole= to "TRANSPORT", and you get more things to blow up. When armed (like Ive done), if you change them to TANK, they show up on CAS missions -- although why a BTR driver, with a single 7.62 wants to take on an M-48 is beyond me....

another semi-nasty bit it to arm the vehicles, say an M-113 with it's flex 50, and set it to "TRANSPORT". Expect a nasty surprise on Armed Recon...mmmuuuuuhahahahahahahaaaaa :haha:

Arty is arty -- BM-14, M-59, D-20, etc. (with moonjumper fix for working Kytusha for BM-14)

Tanks also includes Infantry, otherwise they don't do nothing

Warships - pretty obvious

CargoShip - mass movers. Unfortunately, one 4 individual items are allowed. Real bummer.

Static_AAA - generic guns; including the KS series and ZSU. It's also one of our 'meaner' hidden roles -- a lot of the mobile

SAM (Chapparels, SA-8, SA-15?, SA-9) have been set to that so they annoy you around airbases.

Mobile SAM -- never seen the bugger moving

Static SAM - obvious -- fixed installations (SA-2, SA-3, SA-5, etc) even if on a TEL (SA-6/mobile SA-3) they become static as a generic "SAMLauncher" in a terrain's targets and types inis

Recon - worse than useless. Change them to TRANSPORT

That should pretty much cover it!

WRench

kevin stein

10-21-08

Wrench:

I understand the Ground Object Role better now. Like always you have been very helpful thanks again.

Thank You

Fatman

Edited by Fatman

Wrench:

Thanks, but exactly what do you mean by "CargoShip - mass movers. Unfortunately, one 4 individual items are allowed." Do you mean only four CargoShips in the game, or four CargoShips in any one location in the game ???

Panama Red

Well, this me gave an idea: if I change an Aircraft carrier as Cargoship, I could sink it in an Anti-ship mission....

Well, this me gave an idea: if I change an Aircraft carrier as Cargoship, I could sink it in an Anti-ship mission....

Nope....its object role has nothing to do with its seeming invulnerability. That trait is due to it having a flight deck. If you remove that (trait), it will no longer be able to serve as a carrier.

I wonder if this information can be posted in the Knowledge Base for others when they mod a campaign or single mission ???

Panama: yeah, that was a little typo on my part...it should read

"for some reason, only 4 ships classed as "CargoShip" seem to be allowed."

Mass movers defined as "vessels carrying large amounts of goods and products via sea lanes of communication"

There dosen't seem to be a limit on Tanks, Transport, or AAA/SAM units -- although for some reason, the Bofors guns keep NOT showing up.....

As for CVs as "CargoShip", you could theorticly create a 'copy' of the vessel, remove the flight deck callouts (thereby removing its unvulernability, and usefullness as a landing strip). But they you'd hit the 4 cargoship limit, if you've got others in there (capun's Liberty ship & cargo barges, my USN AK class,, the 2 trawlers and various container vessels from Kesselbruts Falklands mod, and the 2 stock ships -Cargo Ship and Tanker). Of course, you could leave it's class as WARSHIP, but I doubt it'd show in Anti-Shipping missions. Never seen anything classed as "Warship" do so.

Sometimes, for 'docked, in port' vessels, it's better to drop the entire folder contents INTO the terrain folder, and use them as "terrain object" targets, via targets and types ini edits. (ie: UseGroundObject=FALSE). Then for campaign purposes, they'd be classed (in the types ini) as "NAVAL_BASE".

Wrench

kevin stein

Hey Wrench, what is the effect of this limit of 4 for Cargo_Ships?

I have more than 4 Generic Cargo_Ship objects in several installs, and I get Anti-Ship missions with a variety of targets (this is in SF).

hey wrench, can you set icons for the planning  map in all these category? .....i would find that interesting

im trying to look into it right now, as i usually do if i dont find anything here and manage to find out myself i will report back but i figured i would ask all the same

update: ..i did manage to copy over the first eagles icons for nations code and that works just fine....so im hoping for good things