Photo

The Terrain Editor Thread

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Pappa Goat

Pappa Goat
  • 122 Posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:53:59 AM

Yeh load the WOV texture list n nout. Wondering if they texture list is synchronized with the new map tiles, but they should be, they're all the same names as the old ones.
  • googleimagev likes this

#62 Wrench

Wrench

Known As Bob.

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Political Arena
  • 21,649 Posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:55:39 PM

Yes, the texturelist is sycned to the data ini, which MUST have the tiles in the exact same sequence as the texturelist

another thought came to me....you're attempting this in NextGen seies...the TE only works for 1st Gen. Check the coding of any/all inis (and the bmps, if necessary -although I don't think there's a "coding" for image files) you've imported.
Meaning: are they ANSI or Unicode? If Unicode, convert back to ANSI and see what happens.

I've never had a problem getting a terrain to open, all things being equal.

wrench
kevin stein

Edited by Wrench, 20 December 2009 - 01:56:18 PM.

Terraformer Extraordinaire
Making the Game Look Like the Real World ™ Since 2007
"We are the Princes of the Ini-verse"
"A little bit of something, is better than a whole lot of nothing"

Dat banned achievment

#63 Lexx_Luthor

Lexx_Luthor

Lord of the Analog!

• ELITE MEMBER
  • 3,375 Posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:58:15 AM

Wrench, why won't TE work with SF2? None of the old terrains can be used? Or do they just need manual changing of file types for New Sim.

Grinch (last page November) ::

After playing autotransition all it seems to do is mess up a majority of the map, like putting coast tiles in horizontal lines through where there used to be land.

Missing transition tiles. Posted Image

We always try to take shortcuts, thinking we don't need to make a transition set, but we do need it. Evidence is the horizontal or vertical strips of the first tile tile listed -- often the sea tile is made first. That's TE's way of defaulting if a transition tile is not there.

This is the new Terrain Editor Icon ~> Posted Image

But then, when the jobs done, the Icon is ~> Posted Image
Sent from my IBM Model M using recoil numpad, no silencer

#64 Wrench

Wrench

Known As Bob.

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Political Arena
  • 21,649 Posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:07:38 AM

Probably ANSI vs Unicode.

Don't forget, the TE really dosen't even work with 08 level games -- it ain't be updated since 4/2006 for WoV/WoE/WoI version. The SF Desert TE is even older. It's missing most if not all the 'newer' stuff for terrain shaders and the like. All that has to be added later to the _DATA.INI by the builder.

Also, the fact that all the 4 stock terrains (not counting the 2 in FE) are all identical, with only new effects added.

But, like I said above, I haven't had any problems getting older terrains working in SF2 NextGens, other than making a few simple ini edits to bring the fx up to speed.

TK's promised us a new one, but I for one, sure ain't holding my breath.

btw, those are SUPERB icons for the TE, and right on the money!

wrench
kevin stein

Dat banned achievment

#65 gillg

gillg
  • 172 Posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:10:16 PM

Hi guys

Trying to get back into my swedish terrain after my HD crash so i know how far i got. But TE wont let me open any texturelist at all. I get 2 blue bars then it crashes. I am sure that i have converted all tga's to bmps, all 256x256 bmps, read all posts here and adhered to pertaining ones, including the latest TE version, but it wont work.

Any help?

It used to work before my HD crash.

#66 gillg

gillg
  • 172 Posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:42:30 AM

Well guys, it works. I extracted all the bmp's from germanyCE.cat and overwrote all the ones in my sweden folder. Voila, it now works. Now its back to terrain building........Yeah, wooo! :rolleyes:

#67 Stratos

Stratos
  • EDITOR
  • Political Arena
  • 3,613 Posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:46:28 AM

Kevin, how can I load my new "Desert Textures" in order to place the trees on them? I tried to search for explanation about that, but with no luck

#68 Wrench

Wrench

Known As Bob.

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Political Arena
  • 21,649 Posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:14:52 PM

Statos: Sorry, brother. I could show you via screenies, but I'm not sure this old standby machine will work the TE so good. I guess I'll test it after a while today.... (EDIT: I guess I do work!!)

BUT....
I can tell you, that if you're just adding them to the Existing tiles, that's pretty easy.

With the TE open, and the Desert terrain (HFD) loaded, load the Desert texture list. YOu should see the map, with all the tiles laid out.
Then, on the tool bar at the top ... Texture List ... it'll open a drop down. "Edit Texture Map List". That'll open the full listing, with all the tiles listed as they appear in the texturelist ini. Scroll until you find the one you want, click on it, and it'll open a popuu window "Texture Map Dialog". Over in the lower right corner, you'll see "Terrain Objects". This is where you activate the buildings and trees that are in the TOD files. Then, in the screenie below, yo can see the arrow ponint to "Place Object", that'll take you to the next screen, when you physically place the trees and buildings. THAT screen is the one I showed in the other Thread.

But, if you're ONLY just replacing the desert tiles with your new 'scrub' ones, you'll have to take those bmps, and drop them into the TE with the same names as the existing 2 desert tiles. Then, you can go to into the Texture Map Dialog, and add the trees where they'd fit on the new scrub tiles

Better yet, would be to ADD them to the texturelist, keeping the Desert1 and Desert2 tiles -which I reccomend for the more harsh and arid regions), and them hand place the NEW scrub tiles in the border zones between the desert2farm. Unfortunately, this means you'll HAVE to create the 3 new transition tiles for Scrub2Farm25, Scrub2Farm50 and Scrub2Farm75. Then, you'll have to create even MORE tiles for the transition from scrub to desert ... Scrub2Desert25, Scrub2Desert50 and Scrub2Desert75.
So, you can see it's just not as simple as you're thinking it is. Even if you replace the 2 desert tiles with you're new scrub, you must create new transitons for the various regions -- farm to desert, desert to city, desert to sea, desert to mountain, etc. Otherwise, you get the effect of 'tiling' as seen in your screenshot in the other Forum Thread.

Again creating 1 tile means you have to create 4 tiles to match .. the main (center square), plus the edges or transition tiles that surround it.

In essence, you're completly Rebuilding the Desert terrain, so in the end you'll have a new data ini (with the new tile listings), and 2 completly new TFD and HFD files. These will totally replace the existing units in the Desert.cat.

wrench
kevin stein

Edited by Wrench, 08 May 2010 - 01:19:44 PM.

Dat banned achievment

#69 Spectre8750

Spectre8750
  • +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 767 Posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:34:26 AM

CTD on a Terrain i've made question

Hi all

I've created a Terrain that is 4000x4000 pix 2000x2000 km grid. It will cause a CTD only if you cycle through the Ground Radar. i've tested Edwards Korea terrain
which is the same size but doesn't have that problem and i''ve ruled out the Hight Field Data file. It seems to be in the Tile Field Data file.
Can you give me any clues to why this happens with terrains at 2000x2000 km or above for future reference?

Please help!
Thanks
Spectre8750

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

#70 Major Lee

Major Lee

Map Daddy of Dhimar

• +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 810 Posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:45:11 PM

4:1 not 2:1
"Can he ever be young again, or was his youth used up in the cockpit of his beloved Thunderbolt?"
Major Lee's Aerodrome
Posted Image

#71 Spectre8750

Spectre8750
  • +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 767 Posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:34:47 PM

Thanks Major Lee

but the size is correct. I found the problem though. I'm using seasonal terrain and for some reason putting a tileset in the Mod Terrains root folder
fixed the problem.

Thanks

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

#72 umm

umm
  • 162 Posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:11:06 AM

Is there a TextureList for isreal?
Love 2 Play SFP2
Posted Image

#73 karl2c

karl2c
  • 15 Posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:20:37 PM

Hi man, I would like to remove one or two 3d house?

thx!

karl2c

#74 karl2c

karl2c
  • 15 Posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:12:10 PM

ok 3d tool for, sorry! :biggrin:

karl2c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests