Sign in to follow this  
scouserlad13

Im Having a little bit of trouble deciding what to do career wise, HELP!

Ok, heres the situation, as many of you probably know, i got accepted into the RAAF and all i have to do now is just pass my fitness test. But about a month ago, i started changing my mind, and now i want to become a Royal Marine Commando (Basically a soldier).

Now heres my problem, ive got the job security of the RAAF because im already in, but i want to be a marine, and to get into that i have to pass a very tough and challenging fitness course over 3 days. Not many recruits make it first time round. Ive got over one year left to train for it and ive got a good level of fitness now.

So what im asking is, do you think i should stay for the Airforce or go for what i really want, which is the Royal marines. I know this is like the third career change but this is what i really want now. And i know it is, ive wanted to do the whole soldiering thing for a while, i just havnt told anyone because i know my parents disagree with it. Ive explained to them its what i want to do, and they are not happy with it, but they say that when im 18 im free to do what i want.

I suppose if you've thought it through properly, including the strong likelihood of service at the sharp end, then you should follow your dream. You could always join the aussie forces later if you don't succeed with the marines.

well...im sure you`ll get alot saying air force as its a popular thing...but one one hand,it is the RAAF...and well,they dont do alot anyway,sure they might turn up a bit late for a war and fly 700 miles in wrong direction before they realise it..but even with basic car sat nav strapped to an F-18 you think they could atleast get in the right country...if you like airshows then thats ok..coz they do alot of airshows...so be like a flying clown....or you could do search and rescue and try and find the body of jeff goldblum who as oz tv reported was dead after he fell of a cliff last week....i think the raaf are still searching for him,someone should tell em that he`s at home in bed.....or..you could join the royal marine commando`s and become without question,part of the finest fighting solders within the world !.

your choice ..lol

ps..if i pissed any raaf fans off...good..i like doing that ..; ) xx

xx v xx

On the one hand, if a dream seems achievable it seems silly to "settle" for 2nd best. On the other hand, you don't want to screw up a good thing for just the promise of something better, like dumping the girl you're dating in hopes of getting a date with a "better" girl.

So it all boils down to how much do you think you'll want to be a commando next year? My sister was really bad about wanting different things in her life (everything was "this is it" every 6 months) until she was almost 30, so...

He isn't dead, he showed up on the colbert report joking about it.

Anyway, I'd go with the RAAF, you're already in and last I heard they were going to buy the F-35. Why pass up a chance to work with those?

well...im sure you`ll get alot saying air force as its a popular thing...but one one hand,it is the RAAF...and well,they dont do alot anyway,sure they might turn up a bit late for a war and fly 700 miles in wrong direction before they realise it..but even with basic car sat nav strapped to an F-18 you think they could atleast get in the right country...if you like airshows then thats ok..coz they do alot of airshows...so be like a flying clown....or you could do search and rescue and try and find the body of jeff goldblum who as oz tv reported was dead after he fell of a cliff last week....i think the raaf are still searching for him,someone should tell em that he`s at home in bed.....or..you could join the royal marine commando`s and become without question,part of the finest fighting solders within the world !.

your choice ..lol

ps..if i pissed any raaf fans off...good..i like doing that ..; ) xx

xx v xx

HAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

On the one hand, if a dream seems achievable it seems silly to "settle" for 2nd best. On the other hand, you don't want to screw up a good thing for just the promise of something better, like dumping the girl you're dating in hopes of getting a date with a "better" girl.

So it all boils down to how much do you think you'll want to be a commando next year? My sister was really bad about wanting different things in her life (everything was "this is it" every 6 months) until she was almost 30, so...

This is what i want to do, as i said, i dont go around mentioning it because my family are against me doing it. Ive wanted to do it for around 2 years now. But i can see your point.

Arghh, its a bloody tough decision this one is, the only thing that is stopping me, is my parents. I dont want to let them down.

Finally, look at which path allows you to change later...in other words, is it easier to become a pilot and then transfer to be a Marine, or the other way around. I would bet that if you turn down a pilot slot now, that you will not EVER be offered it again, no matter what you do. On the other hand, unless the Marines have very strict age requirements, if you don't make it through flying training or you decide it's not for you, you can flow into the Marines if you can meet the physical requirements.

Either way, good luck, man up, and no regrets. Oh, and once you turn 18 (or whatever age it is in your country), it doesn't matter what your parents think. What matters is what you can live with. If you live your life based on other people's wants or expectations, you will NEVER be happy.

FC

I say go with your instincts, or at least where your heart tells you to go.

Life is a funny old path, but things have a way of working out in the end.

Good luck whichever option you choose and keep us posted on how it goes. :good:

"the only thing that is stopping me, is my parents. I dont want to let them down. "

Though your parents do not like the thought of you joining the marines, im sure they will support your decision. Eventually they will be proud of what you have achieved. I can't imagine any parents not being proud watching their son/daughter passing out :biggrin: .

Mike

Edited by mikepie11986

Generally speaking, your parents will want you to do whatever helps you live up to your potential, whatever it may be. As long as it isn't "supervillain looking to rule the world" or something.

One comment, those PRMC training stats in your signature...I'm assuming that's the mimimum needed.

Because I can do that now...and I'm 41 years old and definitely NOT at peak shape...

FC

Yeah, our PFT is harder then that honestly, we have to do max 20 pullups, no kipping or bicycling, 100 crunches/ Situps, in 2:00, and 3 mile run in no later then 28 minutes.

Yeah, our PFT is harder then that honestly, we have to do max 20 pullups, no kipping or bicycling, 100 crunches/ Situps, in 2:00, and 3 mile run in no later then 28 minutes.

Thats about the same as our marines over in england. Im going to keep on training, im increasing the amount of sit ups/push ups i do by 5 each week so eventually ill be able to bang em out no problem. I know they arnt very good stats, but ive only just started to do my training, i started like two weeks ago.

One comment, those PRMC training stats in your signature...I'm assuming that's the mimimum needed.

Because I can do that now...and I'm 41 years old and definitely NOT at peak shape...

FC

No, they are just what i can do at the moment.

Edited by scouserlad13

Ah okay, that makes MUCH more sense...

FC

Ok, what ive decided to do is, join the RAAF, get some money behind me so i can fly back to the UK and be able to support myself if it all goes wrong with the Marines. Fortunately i will have a Certificate IV in Aeroskills (Mechanical) so if i do need to find a job, i can apply for the Royal Air force and just go from there really. Cheers for the advice by the way.

I say follow your heart. It's on you as a man to make your choices and not to later hold it against your folks that you did not do what you wanted to do. If it all turns out to not be for the best well it's on you, for better or worse. Don't live a life of regretting what you you could have done and wanted to do but didn't. You may come to resent your good folks for holding you back. Once you are married and have kids these things only gets harder. I pray the Lord bless you in your decision. Best wishes.