Ruggbutt

Reviewing the Logitech G940

So here we are almost one year later and what has Logitech done to improve this product? ..... Nothing. Nada. Zip. Nil. No improved quality control during manufacture and no software improvements? Not even one software update that fixed anything?

This 'stick is soooooo loose in the center, it's way beyond reasonable. I lusted for one of these for a long time until I had a chance to try one out at my local Fry's. They were setting up a flight simulator and were taking the brand new G940 out of the box when I noticed it. I used it for over an hour and really was trying to like it. I loved the throttle, and hated the sloppiness of the 'stick at center. Also my feet kept slipping off the pedals. I could fix that with some type of anti-friction applique I guess, but that 'stick center play is horrible.

So here we are almost one year later and what has Logitech done to improve this product? ..... Nothing. Nada. Zip. Nil. No improved quality control during manufacture and no software improvements? Not even one software update that fixed anything?

This 'stick is soooooo loose in the center, it's way beyond reasonable. I lusted for one of these for a long time until I had a chance to try one out at my local Fry's. They were setting up a flight simulator and were taking the brand new G940 out of the box when I noticed it. I used it for over an hour and really was trying to like it. I loved the throttle, and hated the sloppiness of the 'stick at center. Also my feet kept slipping off the pedals. I could fix that with some type of anti-friction applique I guess, but that 'stick center play is horrible.

Logitech released software & firmware updates on 05-18, to among other things, fix the sloppiness.

Personally, I don't like the changes in the force curves when playing StrikeFighters. Once you update the firmware, there's not going back to the previous firmware and software.

Others, playing other sims, have been happy with the changes.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PC-Gaming/Logitech-G940-Software-Update-Official-notice/td-p/447921

Logitech released software & firmware updates on 05-18, to among other things, fix the sloppiness.

Personally, I don't like the changes in the force curves when playing StrikeFighters. Once you update the firmware, there's not going back to the previous firmware and software.

Others, playing other sims, have been happy with the changes.

http://forums.logite...ice/td-p/447921

I read that forum as about the same number of people still dissatisfied with the product as are happy with it. Could it be that the force centering has been improved with the firmware and software update but the 'sticks sloppiness around the center due to physical build tolerances still remains?

Something still tells me to hold onto my money and get a few more flights out of my aging Thrustmaster gear.

Thanks for this review. :good: Looks like my next controller, should my trusty MSFF2 ever fail...

Now I'm starting to get interested in sticks+throttle. this thing has more buttons than my PS3 controller I am using, it would help me keep my eyes on the screen more than searching for buttons on the keyboard on my lap. I think I will find it difficult to get used to pedals for rudders since I've been using Right Stick X-axis as rudders for as long as I have been flying.

The G940 has been canceled by Logitech. Seems they couldn't fix the problems nor did consumers want a flawed product.

The G940 has been canceled by Logitech. Seems they couldn't fix the problems nor did consumers want a flawed product.

I know, I read the reviews. Are there any sticks very very similar to this? I like the look of this layout and design

I have a Warthog HOTAS which I like very much, and the X-65 by Saitek has been a good performer.

I'm going to say that CH's stuff is the closest in overall look to the G940. For the same price ($300 or so) you could get a stick, throttle, and pedals. The Warthog costs a lot more and doesn't have pedals, so you'd still need to buy a USB pedal set separately increasing the total cost more.

Neither of them have FFB either, so that's not a factor.