Sign in to follow this  
Guest British_eh

Survival In the Air Series - Discussion Board

To give anyone who is interested a feel for how 3P works, I have put together a description of the career so far of Sgt. Philippe Fromage, assigned on July 9, 1917 to Escadrille 152, currently located at Chaux airfield in Alsace, near the front lines. Italicized portions represent 3P pilot classes, events, and instructions.

Start of New Campaign

I. Generate your pilot class from Table 1.

Early in the morning of July 9th, my character is dropped off in front of the office of the C.O. for Escadrille 152. Based upon a dice roll (you also have the option to select any pilot class you wish), my character is determined to be a Dreamer (DR). In general, Dreamers get along with Intellectuals, Musicians, Obscure Hobbyists, and Romantic types. Dreamers don’t get along too well with Bullies, Pranksters, or Killer types. Certain 3P Standard Events also may trigger positive or negative interactions with non-player characters (NPC’s) of other classes.

II. Introduce yourself to the new squadron

i. Determine field condition

ii. Meet Adjutant and learn pilot class of 0-3 squadmates.*

iii. Determine squadron morale and default attitude of squadron towards you.*

iv. Attempt to meet the C.O.*

v. Find your lodgings.*

vi. Meet your roommate (if any).*

Looking out on the field, I notice that the field appears to be in fair shape. In other words, I’ve seen better and I’ve seen worse. The condition of the field will probably not have much of an influence either positive or negative in terms of my ability to progress during the campaign. However, I have faith that the groundskeepers will work diligently to improve the condition of the field, forthwith (field conditions can improve after a period of thirty days).

Although I observe several ground personnel, mechanics, and riggers, I notice that all of the squadron’s pilots appear to be out on patrol. Taking this opportunity to introduce myself to the Adjutant, I sit down and wait for him to process my paperwork. A genial but mostly quiet sort, he makes some small talk and tells me a little about the Escadrille. Curiously, he does not mention the C.O. Instead, the only fellow he mentions is another pilot with the rank of Adjutant who goes by the name of Bernard Romanaise. Apparently, Bernard is quite the fighter, brawler, and drinker, whose family comes from a mountainous area not too far from the current location of the aerodrome (pilot class determined to be Frontiersman).

Stepping into the mess for a quick drink, I can begin to see that the morale and esprit-décor of the unit appears to be excellent (unit morale determination, modified by squadron rank from OFF duty board). Although the Adjutant lets word slip that he feels that the overall flying skill of most of the pilots in the squadron only appears to be average, the unit has had a lot of success recently against the enemy and that spirits are quite high at the moment. Perhaps because of this recent success, the Adjutant ventures the opinion that almost everyone in the unit will probably take an immediate shine to me (default outlook towards player = Like in squadrons with excellent morale). However, he also warns that he has seen the morale in other squadrons deteriorate over time if losses begin to accumulate. At this, he gives me a bit of a wry, but also curiously tired and weary smile. However, before I can ask him to explain a bit more, the slow and steady drone of aircraft engines—along with the occasional sputter—slowly grows into a roar as the squadron returns from its most recent sortie.

I am about to ask him about the C.O., but before I can say anything more, he is quickly out the door—no doubt to run back into his office before the C.O. sees him hanging around the mess instead of finishing the great stack of paperwork I noticed earlier on his desk. After a few minutes more in the mess, I wander over to the C.O.’s office to introduce myself. Unfortunately, I must have rushed things a bit, as the Adjutant tells me that the C.O. is not currently in the mood “to see some whelp who is still wet behind the ears.” Feeling a bit stung by this apparent snub (loss of 2 campaign points), I decide I will try again in the morning to meet with the C.O. In the meantime, I will go to find my billet and discover if I have a roommate.

I am highly disappointed when I discover that instead of the requisitioned mansion the flight instructors had promised all new fliers would be billeted in, that the Escadrille is currently housed in some rather new, but still flimsy looking tents. “At least they don’t appear to be old and leaky,” I grumble to myself as I walk into the tent I have been told I have been assigned to (quality of lodgings, ranging from leaky tents to mansions, determined every thirty days). When I enter, I notice a pilot who must have just returned from the last sortie, lying on his cot, having a smoke and apparently reading a book. Surprisingly, he barely acknowledges my presence, until after what seems—at least to me—a very long and awkward silence, I clear my throat, stiffly extend my hand, and introduce myself. He grunts, and almost reluctantly tells me his name his Lucienne Boucher. “I guess I’m supposed to be your wingmate,” he says, without much enthusiasm. “Perhaps people are a little apprehensive about new arrivals,” I think to myself, as I sit down and stretch out on my cot in my new, and suddenly not so warm and friendly home (pilot class determined to be Introvert, with initial Standard Encounter deemed to be a “wincing embarrassment” resulting in decrease of Outlook/Attitude of NPC towards me from “Like” to “Neutral”). “Ah well, he’ll probably warm up to me in a few days,” I tell myself as I drift off to sleep.

(to be continued)

Great stuff, Herr P-W! I think the 3P really lends itself to that kind of narrative campaign, if used imaginatively :)

I look forward to reading the rest.

Bletchley

I don't deduct anything for an 'aircraft destroyed' message if the damage was caused in combat (i.e managed to land a badly shot-up aircraft). This seem reasonable?

Also, had the idea to score +2 for every non-target balloon shot down as well - OFF currently doesn't give you anything for shooting down non-target balloons, so this would give a player some incentive to go chasing balloons again :)

Edited by Bletchley

Great stuff, Herr P-W! I think the 3P really lends itself to that kind of narrative campaign, if used imaginatively :)

I look forward to reading the rest.

Bletchley

I don't deduct anything for an 'aircraft destroyed' message if the damage was caused in combat (i.e managed to land a badly shot-up aircraft). This seem reasonable?

Also, had the idea to score +2 for every non-target balloon shot down as well - OFF currently doesn't give you anything for shooting down non-target balloons, so this would give a player some incentive to go chasing balloons again :)

One reason I like 3P is because it gives people like me who are not usually that imaginative some creative ideas for some stories.

I agree with you about the aircraft destroyed message, although it is sometimes difficult to tell whether you crashed because your aircraft was so shot up or because you pranged the landing. For me, it's usually both. :grin:

I also like your idea for some extra points for every non-target balloon shot down during balloon busting missions--but only balloon missions.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Thanks for the note HPW,

It was initially in the cables, then two minutes later, on their second pass, the engine. Had to glide for the Lines :(

Cheers,

British_eh

Also, what aircraft were you flying? I edged up the engine hit points for most aircraft, but particularly the two-seaters and the German scouts so they are closer to the Allied scouts. One problem, I think, is that the CFS3 damage model is proportional--the greater the proportion of hit points used up, the worse the performance of the component. Thus, an aircraft engine with only 100 hit points operates at 90% with only 10 points of damage and so on. Bumping the number up a bit makes the dogfights a bit more challenging, IMO, while still rewarding you for precise shots.

Part Two of the tale of Sergent Phillipe Fromage:

When I awake, I am told by my wingmate that I have been assigned my first mission! However, when I report to the duty room, I am informed that my first flight is only a training flight, to help get me acquainted with the airfield and its surroundings. (New players may undertake up to three training missions to help them accumulate early campaign points. Landing successfully at your home airfield results in +5 campaign points, failing to land at your home airfield results in -5 points).

At Start of Each New Day

a.. Add/Subtract campaign points (CP’s), for field, squadron morale, and lodging conditions.

b. Generate a Standard Encounter from Table 2 with a random active pilot from Table 1 and determine his initial Outlook/Attitude towards you or if it changes by referring to Tables 3-5.

c. Calculate goodwill points towards you from Table 7 for each active pilot in squadron and add/subtract from total CP’s.

d. Check total CP’s

At the beginning of the next day, I determine that decorum dictates that I should make another attempt to meet my commanding officer. This time, the Adjutant whispers to me that the C.O. appears to be in a better mood and is looking forward to meeting with me. However, before I go inside, he warns me not to talk politics with him—there are rumors the C.O. has a relative in Russia who has been detained by the Czar’s secret police for “anti-government activities.”

As I step into his office, the C.O. appears to be pouring over maps and combat reports. He doesn’t look up until I stop directly in front of his desk at exactly the regulation distance, give him a crisp salute, and announce, “Sergent Phillipe Fromage reporting for duty, mon Capitaine.” Without looking up, the Capitaine motions for me to sit down. “At ease, at ease, Sergent. No need for such stiff displays of formality here. We’ll leave that to the Generals and their friends in Paris who think their titles and bourgeois mentality entitle them to special displays of respect from the so-called common folk. For now, you may simply call me Claude—Claude LeFevre, or Capitaine, if you insist.” At this, he lets out a loud guffaw and claps me on the back. I soon learn that Cpt. LeFevre is, at heart, a Bolshevik. Despite his incautious statement to me, he has apparently been able to keep most of his political views to himself—at least to this point. Even more importantly, and despite the snub from the previous day, he seems to take an immediate liking to me.

Although I have yet to see any air combat, at this point I am feeling pretty good about the assignment to my first squadron. I have tucked a couple of training missions under my belt (+10 campaign points), the field is not in too bad a shape, and the morale of the squadron is very high (+2 campaign points per day). The only negative is the drafty tents (-1 campaign points per day), but I have hopes the lodgings will eventually improve. In addition, I have a positive feeling about the three men in the squadron I have met so far (campaign points of +1, +1, and +4 per day). Just as I am thinking that life on the front lines may not be so bad after all, I accidently bump into a pilot I haven’t seen before. “Watch out, you stupid oaf! Get your head out of the clouds!” he exclaims. In addition to a pug nose, the man appears to have several scars on his face. He also seems to me to be somewhat old for a pilot with the rank of Sergent. “Who are you?” I clumsily reply. “My name is Sebastian Quinchez!” he practically spits in my face as he heads into the duty room. I keep a mental note to try and stay clear of this man, as he appears to have taken an immediate dislike to me (NPC class of Natural Enemy, with a -2 modifier on all Standard Encounter dice rolls, resulting on this occasion in a decrease in Outlook/Attitude from Like to Neutral).

Before Each Mission

Generate a Standard Encounter from Table 2 with a random active pilot from Table 1 and determine his initial Outlook/Attitude towards you or if it changes by referring to Tables 3-5.

Inside the duty room, I am told that I will be participating in my first official combat mission. Sitting next to me is a Sous Lieutenant with wavy blond hair and blue eyes. Later, I learn that his name is Gaston Gendranneau. A tricolor ascot is tucked neatly into the top of his blouse. With a grave look on his face, he asks me, “So, Sergent, did you enter the air service to fly fast airplanes or to meet fast women?” Sputtering, I tell him what my father had told me the day he saw me off to flight school: “You fly for the glory of France!” For a moment, the Lieutenant stares back at me in silence. Suddenly, he laughs so loud that the rest of the squadron turns to look at the both of us. “Ha ha, I think I’m going to like you, Sergent.” (NPC class of Romantic, with a +1 modifier on all Standard Encounter rolls, resulting on this occasion in an increase in Outlook/Attitude from Like to Friend). “See you after the mission!”

(continued)

Edit: added 3P instructions for clarification.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Keep it coming Herr P-W - it is turning into a very good story :)

I have been thinking about what might happen when a pilot's score falls below '0', as at the moment this triggers a return to the Home Front. It occurred to me that, after the successful completion of the initial induction/training missions a trained combat pilot (however bad or unpopular) would be too valuable to waste in this way - so I had the idea that this should instead trigger a transfer (to a lower rated unit, if there is one - perhaps even a 'bomber' type). What do you think? :

Transfers

If your CP score is below '0' at the start of any new day after the successful completion of the induction and training period, you will be transferred to another unit - the need for trained pilots is too great to send you back to the Home Front, but you are clearly not fitting in with this unit: it will normally be to a lower rated unit (i.e. if current unit is Average look for Poor), or if no lower rated unit is available then one with the same rating. You can do this by starting a new career, or by editing the OFF pilot dossier of your current pilot - see below

Check your pilot's no. on the ingame log.

Go to Campaigns-Campaign Data--Pilots and look for your Pilot Dossier (always one higher than on your log, so Pilot no.1 becomes Pilot Dossier no.2).

Open the dossier, check that you have the correct pilot, and find on the third line down his current squadron/staffel.

Overwrite this with the one you want to transfer to - name should be correct, so if necessary enlist a 'test' pilot first in the desired squadron/staffel to check that the name of he unit is correct.

Start with the initial three training/induction missions, as above.

Bletchley

Edited by Bletchley

Thank you. Glad you are enjoying the story.

Well, there are bad pilots and then there are BAD pilots, so I can't rule out that someone might be sent back to the home front for additional training. I also wonder if a human player would be willing to assign himself to a poorer rated squadron. I think that most people would simply start a new campaign pilot. Historically, however, I'm sure you are right.

Thank you. Glad you are enjoying the story.

Well, there are bad pilots and then there are BAD pilots, so I can't rule out that someone might be sent back to the home front for additional training. I also wonder if a human player would be willing to assign himself to a poorer rated squadron. I think that most people would simply start a new campaign pilot. Historically, however, I'm sure you are right.

Yes, it might be better to make it player choice - either go back to Home Front for a period of x number of months (as currently), start a new career, or accept transfer to another (possibly lower quality) unit. I know at least one example of a pilot (Harold Balfour) who returned early to Home Establishment after a few unhappy weeks at the Front flying the Morane N (partly his choice, I think), but then returned later to complete a very distinguished tour of duty.

Bletchley

No story update today, although I hope to have one up either Friday or Saturday. My last mission was scrubbed due to computer hang--I was flying back to base when the screen froze and the sound went into a loop. Had to reboot.

Bletchley--

I thought of another possible addition to the 3P rules. After any mission in which any pilot whose Outlook/Attitude towards you is "Friend" is announced as KIA, your pilot loses -5 points and rolls a die. If you roll a "1", your pilot class changes into one of the following:

1: Egotist

2: Coward

3: Killer

4: Heavy Drinker

5: Loner

6: Priest

This might make for an interesting turn in events in an individual campaign, with the outlook and goodwill of other pilots changing as a result of your change in personality. Reflects the possible effects of the loss of a good friend in battle and why some veterans tended to avoid making friends with new pilots. An optional addition to the rule might be that pilots may no longer have an Outlook/Attitude towards you as "Friend" anymore. Relationships will now be a bit more of a challenge for your character.

Thanks for the tutorials, they make good reading.

And HeelShades video is very good. I downloaded it for future use. I hope he produces more in the future as I learnt a bit from that one.

Regards MarkL

Outstanding write-up on the FE2b, Bullethead and Dej. You've nailed the Fee to a tee. Well done.

Right then - I've put it off long enough.

I'm going to write about how to survive being a victim of the Quirk. I think I can finally do it justice. Give me a few days, ladies and gentlemen...

Cheers,

Si

Right then - I've put it off long enough.

I'm going to write about how to survive being a victim of the Quirk. I think I can finally do it justice. Give me a few days, ladies and gentlemen...

Cheers,

Si

Arthur Winteringham will be sincerely grateful. I have nearly done for him several times in one. Every now and then the doleful cry of 'I've killed Arthur!' echoes around our living room. Even my wife seems genuinely distressed. I think she has a soft spot for him - after all he does look rather handsome in his photograph. Luck has been on his side up until know, but he'll appreciate any help I can get.

"Arthur Winteringham will be sincerely grateful. I have nearly done for him several times in one. Every now and then the doleful cry of 'I've killed Arthur!' echoes around our living room. Even my wife seems genuinely distressed. I think she has a soft spot for him - after all he does look rather handsome in his photograph. Luck has been on his side up until know, but he'll appreciate any help I can get."

Trust me - I will do what I can.

My best regards to Arthur and your wife, in a purely platonic sense.

This is survivable; a little like owning an Austin Allegro.

Thanks mightysrc. As soon as we can get my many daughters off the PC, I will vacate this laptop and Arthur and I will peruse it thoroughly - see where I've been going wrong.

Thank you Majors Coppitt and Timm, that has certainly put Arthur's mind a bit more at ease. I think he secretly felt guilty about having the odd snooze whilst on long reconnaissance flights.

There are a couple of points I would like to comment on, however:

Firstly, I am glad to have it confirmed that the engine conks out on starting if the throttle is too low - I have been setting it at half to be sure.

Then there is, 'ease your mixture to half, promptly'. I always dutifully lean and enrich regularly with variations in altitude, but is there a way of knowing when you are actually at half? I seem to get maximum revs of about 1150rpm whatever the conditions - does that seem about right?

Arthur has not yet been sent on a bombing mission but Major Timm's forthright assessment has certainly made an impression on him.

Although Arthur himself has never looped the old Quirk, my 'test' pilot Algernon Crumpetly-Flim (of the Buckinghamshire Crumpetly-Flims) - following the thorough instructions of Flight Commander W G McMinnies R.N - has managed it quite comfortably.

And finally landing - 'an aeroplane as well designed as the BE2 is hardly likely to present difficulties to even the most average pilot'. Well all I can say is that a chap can only do his best ... there was no need for Arthur to snigger like that!

Edited by Wayfarer

Lt/Captn/Major (delete as applicable) Wayfarer,

"Firstly, I am glad to have it confirmed that the engine conks out on starting if the throttle is too low - I have been setting it at half to be sure."

It's one of those things - I don't know how true to life the OFF BE2c is, but you'll simply have to live with it. As the authors point out, at least it's a spur to getting airborne.

"Then there is, 'ease your mixture to half, promptly'. I always dutifully lean and enrich regularly with variations in altitude, but is there a way of knowing when you are actually at half? I seem to get maximum revs of about 1150rpm whatever the conditions - does that seem about right?"

That sounds right to me. If you look down - assuming you're using TrackIR - whilst you're buggering about with the mixture, you can actually see how far along you've pushed the mixture lever. I wish they had advance/retard. Now that would be a whole new bundle of hassle and paranoid fumbling. 1150rpm is probably about right. I rarely look at the rev counter, preferring hear what the motor's up to.

"Arthur has not yet been sent on a bombing mission but Major Timm's forthright assessment has certainly made an impression on him."

Lucky old you! Where are you up to in the war? I started as early as I could, but the bombing missions were a long time coming. In fact, having just looked back at my pilot's notes for Vic, there was no bombing prior to 1916, and then it slowly accumulated to the point now where it's more or less a given, whilst reconnaissance and spotting are rarities. Oh, and don't expect to get a scout escort should you be asked to bomb a Hun airfield or a railyard 20 miles behind the lines. You're expendable, and the likes of Albert Ball have much better things to do rather than to prevent you falling to an early grave in a seething mass of flames. Having said that, bombing is a piece of piss in a BE because you can hardly miss, you're travelling that slowly! Vic's bombing stats are astounding - 77%, which is 120 bombs out of 156 launched. Of course, you'll get no bloody thanks for it: you'll be assigned yet another sodding bombing raid (without escort).

"Although Arthur himself has never looped the old Quirk, my 'test' pilot Algernon Crumpetly-Flim (of the Buckinghamshire Crumpetly-Flims) - following the thorough instructions of Flight Commander W G McMinnies R.N - has managed it quite comfortably."

Indeed - a grand family, the Crumpetly-Flims. Both Major Coppitt and Major Timm speak highly of their derring-do and willingness to laugh in the face of death, which has, regrettably, taken such a toll upon that fine family. You can loop a Quirk, but check out your insurance policies first. Further research has made it clear to me (see Tales from the Front thread) that it's probably safer to do so in a Quirk than an RE8. Whilst it's hardly useful in combat, it does give a sense that the BE isn't a complete deathtrap in a fight, and that you can probably do more with it than most people might think. That's one reason Major Timm actually has 22 confirmed kills, the majority of which are EIIIs, although there are Halberstadts and Albatri in there.

"And finally landing - 'an aeroplane as well designed as the BE2 is hardly likely to present difficulties to even the most average pilot'. Well all I can say is that a chap can only do his best ... there was no need for Arthur to snigger like that!"

My dear comrade and fellow flyer - you will be quite safe following the nostrums of Majors Timm and Coppitt. The BE2c and its variants are, indeed, quite wondrous machines and will serve your companion Arthur well indeed. Having bollocks made out of steel will also help.

Cheers,

Si

Edited by themightysrc

Thanks mightysrc. I don't have TrackIR, and realise there is more to the cockpit than I normally see. I was, coincidentally, looking at some labelled photos of WW1 cockpits in a magazine and began to suspect there might be a control I was missing. I'll take a better look around next time we get airborne ... and there's the rub.

Both my wife and youngest daughter are on courses that require a fair amount of coursework/revision - carried out on the computer. Some idiot made a rule here that work should always come first, before games (what was I thinking!). So I get to do OFF in bursts. This is why Arthur hasn't been on a bombing mission yet. I started in February 1915 and have only just got to June (about 26 missions with date advancement). We have only seen enemy aircraft on the last two missions. The second time, some of them were still buzzing around near the airfield when we got back - which seemed most unsporting. I didn't want to get caught flying straight on my landing approach with the revs too low climb out quickly if attacked, so I hit upon a cunning plan ... This was designed to conserve speed and enter the approach at the last moment - but ended up as sideslipping into a tree! I actually managed to pull up over the tree - but this resulted in a nose up attitude of some 50o at aspeed of half a knot. Naturally I pancaked from about 40 feet to a horribly fiery looking pile up. This was the most recent 'I've killed Arthur!" moment and explains his ill mannered chortling in reference to 'even the most average pilot'.

As for the Crumpetly-Flims it is a fact that (since I found out how to edit the OFF xml files) Algernon's log entry records not that he set out to achieve victory for Great Britain, but to avoid getting a white feather from his Great Aunt Primula. Algernon does laugh in the face of death. In fact, he laughs in the face of everyone which, I think, is why the family were so keen to ship him off to the front - he was becoming an embarrassment at dinner parties.

With reference to your final point I'm not sure I have known Arthur long enough to enquire whether he is appropriately equipped!

To: Major Willy Coppitt,

5th Army Propaganda,

17 Rue d'Remarques,

Amiens,

Nord,

France

Dear Sir,

As a pilot currently serving in His Majesty’s Royal Flying Corps and, (being doubly blessed), having been assigned to a BE2 squadron at the front, I took time to carefully read through your thesis on the flying of the “Quirk” and its various characteristics in the roles one is likely to be expected to perform in said aircraft. I have come to the conclusion after several weeks of giving it a go that yours is a gift of understatement.

Firstly, as to your point on the BE2 being “wonderfully stable”. If by this you mean it can be as hard to prod into a direction change in any of the three flight axes as a cast iron parlor stove, then I heartily agree. I’ve owned doorstops that could take lessons from the Quirk on the art of stability. “Somewhat ponderous of maneuver” would better apply to a 30-stone banker attempting to make his way through Charing Cross Station during the last Monday of August.

Secondly, about the BE climbing “gently”. Imperceptibly might have been a better choice of adverb. A domestic grape vine climbs gently.

Thirdly, looping? Are you mad or is making such a recommendation indicative of your humorous bent? I did in fact loop the beast once, but when the dirt on the floorboards began falling into my face at the apex of the maneuver it cast serious doubts as to my immediate future.

Now, as to bombing, I will agree that the BE2 is likely the best platform one could possibly find for the task, the only drawback being the fact that the very things which make it ideal for this work also make it ideal target practice for Hun gunners who fancy themselves sharp shooters. Rather than attempting to buck this situation I’ve simply had shooting gallery ducks painted on each side of my kite.

This brings me to the situation of air-to-air combat in the Quirk. I find it akin to taking a run at a mad bull with a bucket on one’s head whilest attempting to subdue the approaching angered bovine with a pea shooter, (a pea shooter prone to jamb up at the most inopportune time, I might add). That being said, it can be quite thrilling provided one has his will in order and has said his final goodbyes before heading off into such combat, (I’ve used the term “thrilling” here in much the same fashion as you’ve used “wonderfully stable”).

All in all, I found your instructions and insights concerning the BE2 to be quite entertaining and in fact I find myself chuckling often as I think upon them in the heat of battle. Enclosed is my contribution of half a crown. Please feel free to use it in the purchase of drinks, which you can raise in toast to my untimely demise.

Yours Cordially,

Captain (acting) Reginald “Reggie” Wankersmith,

2 Squadron RFC,

Somewhere near Ypres,

France

But seriously Si, a very good write-up Sir. Well done. :good:

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Lou and Wayfarer,

Glad that you've both enjoyed my contribution, and even, I hope, got something out of it. It's difficult to write a guide to the Quirk that doesn't simply dismiss it as a complete horror, so I hope you didn't mind my, er, kindly understatement of the BE's qualities. I was hoping that there would be enough factual information in there to enable people to actually fly the damn thing with some success without putting them off the experience before they'd even tried it. I was thinking about writing: "The Albatros DIII: should you see one of these, immediately throw yourself out of the cockpit, which will give you a better chance of surviving the experience, even at 6000 feet..." but I thought that might be a wee bit discouraging to BE newbies.

I'll admit it though: it's not an easy life in the BE, so you have to grasp at whatever minimal advantages are sent your way. I've learned to love cloud and rain, and, conversely, get that puckering sensation whenever I see new dots on the TAC. To be sure: OFF is a great challenge, but if you wish to experience it at its fullest, and probably in a manner that more closely mirrors the horrors of WWI aerial fighting, there's no better way to do it than in one of the most ghastly warplanes ever built.

Cheers,

Si

"We have only seen enemy aircraft on the last two missions. The second time, some of them were still buzzing around near the airfield when we got back - which seemed most unsporting"

Hi again Wayfarer - I actually forgot to include one of the most useful tips ever for the BE2 when I wrote it up. It is this. When I was wet behind the ears with the BE2c (note to Olham: RFC pilots were all ritually licked by their aircrew behind their ears prior to their first dozen or so missions), I experienced several trouser filling experiences with Fokker monoplanes that were down to my inexperience and paranoia (the experience increased; so, funnily enough, did the paranoia), and I found myself, when threatened by Beastly Huns, putting down at adjacent Entente aerodromes (NB, do not do so East of the Front) and simply sitting there, engine off, watching the local AA whack the s**t out of the Huns, who inevitably got shot down or got bored and flew off. It's a little bit gamesmanlike, if you will, but as a simple and easy way of getting out of trouble, it takes some beating - the beating is, instead, handed out to the Huns. You can then start up the motor and go merrily on your way.

Odd I'd forgotten that one: I suppose I've got used to running away until a scrap's inevitable, and then piling in on my own.

Hey ho - one for the revision, perhaps.

Edited by themightysrc

Si, I've used that same tactic myself when encountering the enemy in my wonderfully stable BE2. And, whilest sitting it out on the runway I sing the following:

Brave, brave Sir Louvert,

Brave Sir Louvert ran away.

Bravely ran away, away,

Brave, brave Sir Louvert!

When danger reared its ugly head,

He bravely turned his tail and fled.

Yes, brave Sir Louvert wheeled about

And gallantly he chickened out.

Bravely bringing his plane around

He bravely landed on the ground,

Bravest of the brave, Sir Louvert!

'I found myself, when threatened by Beastly Huns, putting down at adjacent Entente aerodromes (NB, do not do so East of the Front) and simply sitting there, engine off'

Glad you both said that because the first time I saw the Eindeckers I really wanted to do that. It was only the shame of thinking they couldn't do it in real life ( unless they were damaged perhaps) that made me not do it. I deliberately started at the earliest date, with hardly any practice, just to get some atmosphere of seeing enemy aircraft for the first time without really knowing what to do. Apart from the BE2 I have only flown a Nieuport 11, Bristol Scout and 11/2 Strutter in brief tests.

Mightysrc you are right about the paranoia. I developed a growing apprehension as June 1915 got nearer, when I understood I was likely to see the first enemy aircraft. When they first came stooping down on us I was like a cat in headlights for a moment. I finally remembered to turn into them and, as you have pointed out, they seemed to go for the wingmen.

And RAF_Louvert - do you know how hard it is for someone of my age not to sing that out loud - even in the middle of the office!

Edited by Wayfarer