Sign in to follow this  
jack33

Cockpit F-16 Block 50-52

Please a Cockpit for this aircraft is the better

For which F-16 first of all ? As TMF F-16´s are all A models... which are excellent including the pits.

those block numbers would be Cs, with the 2 MFDs. No such cockpit exists for them. As of yet. I know they were being worked on a couple of years ago, but who knows now???

wrench

kevin stein

It's the old story. In the SF1 download section there is an improved F16A block 10 by Xevilpetex that has- compared to the cockpit that comes with the old C models- a sort of improved 2MFD pit that at least goes some way in the right direction (for a Block 10 it's not the right pit but that doesn't matter as the excellent TMF pit can be used).

The HUD is reasonable complete with bombing aids and the MFD at the right is fully functional. l asked Xevilpetex about it as I got myself a pit with more or less the same properties, but he seems to be out of touch:blink:

Brains and Storm had something on the C pit too a long time ago but afaik nothing came out of that.

My link

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

It's the old story. In the SF1 download section there is an improved F16A block 10 by Xevilpetex that has- compared to the cockpit that comes with the old C models- a sort of improved 2MFD pit that at least goes some way in the right direction (for a Block 10 it's not the right pit but that doesn't matter as the excellent TMF pit can be used).

The HUD is reasonable complete with bombing aids and the MFD at the right is fully functional. l asked Xevilpetex about it as I got myself a pit with more or less the same properties, but he seems to be out of touch:blink:

Brains and Storm had something on the C pit too a long time ago but afaik nothing came out of that.

My link

Hou doe,

Derk

post-39468-061512600 1279735761.jpg

What I think this pit needs to get it functional isnt really that much:

1)the HSI needs to work

2)the left MFD need to have some information like weapons and systems.....this could even be the same info that is used on the TMF F-16a pit that we all know and like so much

I have spent a bit of time lately trying to get my head around the ins and outs of how cockpits are made and modified in WOE/SFP1or2......I am getting a handle on things but there are some things that I just cant get an understanding of

in the text below (taken from the cockpit.ini) the instrument numbers [001] [002] etc. what are these numbers refering to? I assume they are related to information in the LOD files??? How do I access LOD files? and while I'm asking how about QMD files or OUT files

// Instrument Listing

Instrument[001]=AirspeedIndicator

Instrument[002]=MachIndicator

Instrument[003]=Altimeter-1

Instrument[004]=Altimeter-2

Instrument[005]=VerticalVelocityIndicator

Instrument[006]=Tachometer

Instrument[007]=NozzlePositionIndicator

Instrument[008]=EngineTempInlet

Instrument[009]=InternalFuelIndicator

Instrument[010]=TotalFuelCounter

Instrument[011]=ExternalFuelIndicator

Instrument[012]=InRangeLight

Instrument[013]=HeatLight

Instrument[014]=RadarLight

Instrument[015]=GunLight

Instrument[016]=MasterArmLight

Instrument[017]=LandingGearLights

Instrument[018]=LandingGearLever

Instrument[019]=RWR

Instrument[020]=RadarScope

Instrument[021]=HUD

Instrument[022]=FireLight

Instrument[023]=FireLightAux

In this set of text it looks to me as though this is supposed to control the info for the weapons display in the left MFD,

// SMS Display -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[station1_]

Type=WEAPON_STATION_SELECTOR

NodeName=

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=

[station2_]

NodeName=

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=

[station3_]

NodeName=

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=

this lower set is taken from the F-16A cockpit, the one from above is missing Nodename=XXX and the ItemNumber=X

[MFD_Pyl01]

NodeName=Aff_p1

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=1

[MFD_Pyl02]

NodeName=Aff_p2

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=2

[MFD_Pyl03]

NodeName=Aff_p3

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=3

Is there anywhere I can find a tutorial on this kind of info? I have looked through the KB and it really didnt show the big picture on how things go together

Well, cockpits are complicated, and depending on what you want them to do, VERY complicated.

To keep it simple, for the most part, anything and everything that lights up, moves, rotates, spins, etc, within a cockpit must be built in the cockpit LOD file. Those individual meshes are called 'Nodes' and can either be found within the LOD file using a hex editor, or the OUT file. The OUT file is preferred, because it can tell you what texture is assigned to a particular mesh and how the meshes (ie nodes) relate to each other.

Now, there are exceptions to the above note...mirrors, radar, rwr, and HUD do not require lots of parts. The HUD is a seperate 'overlay' and so doesn't require a physical node. The radar and rwr only need a single node each defined, and the sim will texture it with the appropriate display specified and takes care of all the sweeps, numbers, etc. The mirrors just need their own texture.

For the other stuff, needles, stations, tape gauges, etc, must be built a certain way, to include things like specific mapping, pivot points, hierarchies. Those building specifics are then taken advantage of in the cockpit.ini, depending on the Type and MovementType. ItemNumber tends to refer to a specific station, engine, fuel tank, etc. The other numbers listed simply determine the relation of what is being measured to the movement, light, etc of the node in question.

In short, if the cockpit is incomplete (like the one above), there is no way to fix it because the rest of the parts are not there yet.

FC

Thanks for taking the time to clear a few things up for me FC

Is it not possible to import some of these specific nodes from other aircraft that we know work.....like taking the HSI from another plane and plunking it into this pit, or taking the left MFD from the TMF F-16a and copying it into this pit??......or is it just way more complicated than that?

No.

LODs for cockpits are like for aircraft, once they are created, you cannot alter them other than deleting parts.

For aircraft LOD, you can add parts that will not move on their own either by making them weapons or pilots using creative ini methods. But the parts would still have to be created.

You could in theory do the same for cockpits, using a combination of the OpenCockpit and FakePilot method. But this would still result in parts that cannot interact in ANY way.

FC

Sorry if this seems like I'm beating a dead horse :blink: but I really am curious to learn.

here are the same two texture sets from the C and A F-16 pits, they are almost the same except for the obvious MFD's and the center panel

post-39468-052033000 1279744941.jpg post-39468-024038100 1279744999.jpg

how about the idea of using the C textures on the A pit and then adjusting the locations of each gauge (node) to coincide with new locations??

You might get limited movement capability...you can usually only move a node in one dimension.

FC

and can only move said node once.

wrench

kevin stein

Well you guys are suckin all the fun out of this :grin:

I figured that cockpit building in SF would be more......modular, like in FS.

The more I learn, the more I am impressed with the amasing freeware mods that you guys put out :drinks:

Thanks again for taking the time to explain.

Cheers

Rom

Hi,

I am really glad that people are talking to about new F-16C cockpit, I think this would a blessing and a new life for the SFP1/2 sims.

I tried myself to work on cockpits last year, not in the LODs, but I installed the stock WOI -A cockpit into some MF F-16s and I reworked the old F-14 cockpit. The first one was easy, but the 2nd was so much time consuming that I never tried it again. At least it worked. I learned how to deal with ini files and if I can help in a future F-16 cockpit, plese sent me a message.

I have too somewhere in my files the cockpit that romflyer showed to us, and I want to add something else that was not mentioned:

This cockpit needs LEGS!

Edited by FANATIC MODDER

I actually have the max file for that pit. Might look into it some day as time permits. It'd need a complete retexturing, though.

Please do, I 'll be glad if you do. F-16Cs are the bulk of USAF fighter force for more than 20 years and the backbone of so many allied forces (HAF, EAF, TuAF, IDF, ROKAF etc.). All SFP1/2 community will be glad to you.

Edited by FANATIC MODDER

Hello, we can join forces for this work to be faster and easier. I offer my support for the creation of textures in addition to contributing ideas for this pit is one of the best sim ....

Greetings, Peace Puma

F-16Cs are the bulk of USAF fighter force for more than 20 years and the backbone of so many allied forces (HAF, EAF, TuAF, IDF, ROKAF etc.). .

....... AND the MLU, uses the same pit......:good: (adding another 4 airforces in Europe, as well as Taiwan, Chile and Jordania)

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

Please, please a pit for the better aircraft.

now what the falcon is dead, this pit is a hope.

Thank´s

Guest rscsjsuso5

just a simple suggestion for all f-16 , i found that the taiwan f-16 mod done perfectly except the cockpit, what i did was since i have woi , i would use the cockpit and avionics file of f-16 of israel for all my f-16 over taiwan/formosa strait terrain.

to address the left mfd picture and issue on one of your screens is that it is incomplete as addressed , just use stock cockpit files and avionics and all should be okay . as i can recall from a past forum topic the left mfd for the stock f-16 is hard coded only to be used in woi and can not be extracted to be used in other installs, say you want to copy all relevant cockpit avionics file and use it in woe , the left mfd will be unclear to read , hard coded . haven't used or played woi2 but it should work the same way.

a wish list from tk would be if he would make the f-16 cockpit avionics files work 100 percent correctly for all installs and not only woi due to hard coded issue.

hence, one of the more pressing reasons to move to merged SF2 installs. Although, someone knowledgable can easily extract the needed bits from WoI, and drop them into WoE, for personal use only.

Also, you're totally forgetting that the LOD has to built with the MFD functions; you can't just make ini edits and have it work.

You can make as many wish-lists to TK as you want ... he's still gonna do what HE wants to do. Hence, yet another reason for moving to SF2

wrench

kevin stein

Notice that newer Vipers (block 50/52+ and MLU) have digital HSI

pics for reference

center.jpg

DigHSI12.jpg

DigHSI13.jpg

Any progress? I worked today on some AVIONICS ini and I am fresh if someone would ask me to help...

Hey nice work

You mention that the stock F-16A lacks a TWS mode - not so straight forward this - it only came in from Block 15 according to:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article3.html

So for the time period TK is probably correct.

Some Block 1/5/10s may have had the early APG-66 upgraded or replaced in the mid to late 80s

The F-16C has the unfortunate distinction of being around since 3D flight sims came about in the 1980s - and thus has been done to death so can understand why there may not be many takers.

Ever thought of contacting this guy - he might give you payware - but it would be flippin good payware.

http://www.cockpits.nl/

Thank you MigBuster.

I am going to have another look in the TWS mode but since I was a kid (back in the '80s) I was reading about the TWS mode of F-16s and the supposed innovation that brought in aerial warfare. I checked my old salamander book and it takes it for granted that ALL F-16s have TWS mode.

I suppose your 're right, F-16 was in fashion (in flight sims & in general) and now it's a bit out of fashion. The problem is, like it or not, is flown by 25 nations and almost every hypotethical or real scenario of aerial warfare the past 30 years (already!) involves F-16s.

I looked in the dutch website, the pits are very nice, but are not for SF series and I don't know myself how I can use them.