Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

TacPack for FSX

Right now it is a lot of marketing fluff. But if this works really well and matures into the free SDK for developers, imagine A2A Simulations F-4 Phantom with properly implemented fully functional weapons and avionics. It may be at least 2 to 5 years before FSX addons with full combat avionics and weapons could become the norm and the whole system could be thrown a curve with the release of the new upcoming MS FS... but the potential is virtually unlimited. If this happens, Third Wire's SF series would fade into the background as FSX has a much larger user base AND astronomically more addon support both freeware and payware. I am still skeptical, but I have a copy of FSX and the expansion collecting dust waiting for the A2A Accusim F-4. If accurate weapons and avionics could be added to the mix along with some equally well modeled AI opponents and/or a decent multiplayer base arises, I would be very happy: great graphics, reasonably accurate fight modeling, clickable cockpits, AND multiplayer combat! Presently, SF2 is the only sim that even comes close to meeting my needs, but the TacPack could be the beginning of something even better.

Check this

I think that the threat of SF to fade from the scene is very real, even if in reality the tacpack is not as good as advertised: FSX has a much, much larger fan base than SF...

I will think about it when or if it happens... Though from that preview video it doesn't look too bad... But and here's the big one will it work correctly ?

There is a ton of stuff that's needed that MSFS didn't have. I know before their mass layoff years ago the ACES guys had talked about how they were laying the foundation in the engine for the return of MSCFS, but they had no firm plan for a date or anything. Then they were canned and MSFS itself was killed.

You need working weapons, damage effects, AI that can engage in combat, ground AI that's not just civilian traffic that can engage in combat, a damage model for all the planes that specify how they react when hit (not just cosmetic, although that too must be implemented), a campaign of some sort...

The changes that must be made are not trivial and I don't believe the ACES team put nearly enough into that FSX expansion to let modders do it. I think they see those foundations and have convinced themselves they can do it, but I think they will sooner or later run into a hard-coded wall that they can't break that will stop them.

And then there is the matter of how easy or difficult the SDK will be to use.

I like the idea...but until I see real results and not a video, I'm not holding my breath.

FC