Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

F-4 Phantom B-8 Stick Phase 2

In my original conversion of an actual F-4 Phantom's control stick into a PC flight sim USB joystick, I adapted a Microsoft Sidewinder USB Stick to accept the buttons presses and mechanical motion of the real control stick. This has worked adequately, but has a key disadvantage: no configuration software that will run on Windows 7 64-bit. As previously posted, I recently got a Warthog, which allowed be to give my son my X-52 Pro and free up my old X-45 for this project. The X-45 configuration software works great with Windows 7, includes a full throttle/rudder-rocker controller, and permits use of a shift key. I have already disassembled the X-45 to expose the necessary wires for the stick buttons and x and y axis potentiometers. All I need now is to modify the existing stick to accept the larger potentiometers and come up with a professional scheme for interfacing between the original control wires and the X-45 button and axis wires.

Phase 3 would be to replace the potentiometers with hall effect sensors, but I don't know if or when I would ever get around to doing it.

This program works. It will program almost any joystick/gamepad, the only thing I'v found that it wont work on is my razor keypad (has it's on emulation program). I used it to program my usb HOTAS, the cheep one with no programming. Multy functions, shift, CTRL ,Hat 8 way +.

http://xpadder.com/

Raven

Edited by RAVEN

I am aware that such software exists... but I want a single USB port stick/throttle combo. Up to now, I have had a Saitek HOTAS plugged in at the same time as the MS Sidewinder/B-8. By eliminating the Sidewinder, I can use the software already installed on my computer AND have games automatically recognize the default stick mapping. Whereas right now, I have to go in each sim and select separate controllers for stick, throttle, and rudder. I do have left over axis and buttons on the MS stick to make throttle, rudder, and a few aux controls, but nowhere near the amount of options I have by going with the Saitek. Combine that with the fact that I already have good profiles for the applicable games and adapting the Saitek remains the clear choice for me.

Edited by streakeagle

Having reviewed the wiring, the Saitek is a superior solution to the MS Sidewinder. I needed isolated contacts for each thumb hat button on the MS stick, but the Saitek uses a single common just like the B-8. So, if I am willing to give up the paddle switch, I can eliminate the extra power supply, relays and wiring I had at the rear of the stick base. The paddle switch is normally on, so I would have to keep its relay and the 24VDC power supply to make it normally open for the Saitek interface. Then the only extra wiring is for the x and y axis pots. I think I am ditching the paddle switch for the cleaner install and elimination of a 120VAC extension cord that powered the 24VDC power supply.

B-8 Stick Grip pin-out:

A to E = Thumb Hat Left

B to E = Thumb Hat Down

C to E = Thumb Hat Right

D is unused

E = common for all Thumb Hat switches

F to K = Bottom Button (pinky switch)

G to R = Middle Button (side switch)

H to N = Trigger (pulled all the way in to the 2nd stage switch)

J is unused

L is unused

M is unused

P to E = Thumb Hat Up

S to T = Top Button (top switch next to thumb hat)

Saitek X-45 Wiring:

----------------------

Fire Buttons

----------------------

B1 TRG Green Trigger

B1 TRG Black

B2 B Violet Top Button

B3 A Gray Middle Button

B4 Fire Red Bottom Button

Common Brown

B7 PKY Gray Spare

B7 PKY Gray

B8 C + Yellow Paddle

B8 C - Blue

----------------------

Hat 1

----------------------

H1U Violet Trim Up

H1R Orange Trim Right

H1D Brown Trim Down

H1L Green Trim Left

Common Black

----------------------

Hat 2

----------------------

H2U Short White Spare

H2R Red Spare

H2D Long White Spare

H2L Gray Spare

Common Orange

----------------------

LEDs

----------------------

GND Blue

S LED Yellow

T FLock Black

----------------------

X-Axis

----------------------

VDC + white

VDC X Brown

VDC - Black

----------------------

Y-Axis

----------------------

VDC + white

VDC Y Purple

VDC - Black

Mission accomplished! The X-45 permitted a much cleaner installation than the MS Sidewinder. I ran into a Windows 7 64-bit driver issue with the X-45, but after deleting a registry key everything is working pretty darn well. What I would really like to do is disassemble my Thrustmaster Warthog stick and splice it into the F-4 B-8 stick as I am already using the Warthog throttle. The Warthog stick has a much higher precision than the X-45 and the F-4 stick eliminates the Warthog's biggest disadvantage: sticky detents when crossing dead center. But I am not cutting up my brand new $350 stick in the hopes that it could be merged with the F-4 stick as well or better than the X-45.

My next step is to use the left over buttons of the X-45 to create control panel buttons/switches. I have a few leftover from the joystick and can hack up the throttle to get at its buttons. Since my primary sim is SF2 and my favorite aircraft is the F-4, it makes sense to mimic an F-4 cockpit and model switches/buttons that are common to both SF2 and the F-4: weapon selection, jettison, radar modes/range scales, etc.

Edited by streakeagle