themightysrc

Thoroughly OT! But please help

Hi everyone,

Sorry that I've been quiet of late, but things are moving apace with regard to work(or lack of it, rather).

As some of you may know, I'm doing a Java course by correspondence, and although I'd planned to have it finished by now, it's taking forever, and in its infinite wisdom Her Majesty's government have deemed that I shouldn't be getting my "lifestyle choice" £67.50p a week Job Seeker's Allowance any longer, so I've been forced to think afresh to keep the wolf from the door.

So, I've decided - given that I have about 20 years IT experience and a PGCE (teaching certificate), I've decided to, gulp, start my own business teaching others low to use their PCs in the comfort of their own homes and at their own pace.

I'm hoping to get this going in the next week or three (before Xmas), but I'll need a new PC with Windows 7 and Office 2010 on it to be able to teach others how to use their PCs. Now I could nip down PC World or go to Dell's site to source a PC, but given that I'm skint, I really need to be able to get the new rig together as cheaply as possible - which is where you guys come in.

I need this to be a workhorse, but I also, of course, want to be able to run OFF on it, including the forthcoming P4!

I need suggestions from you chaps as to what mobo I should get, what video card, what memory (and how much). Once I've got these, then I'll either source all the bits and build it myself, or contact someone who can do a custom built machine for me (any suggestions for good builders/suppliers gratefully accepted).

This is a big, big step for me, and I want to get it spot on, but without spending a prohibitive amount of cash along the way.

Gents - the floor is yours, and you have my eternal thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,

Si

I can't really help with your selection but thought I'd mention this site as being very well priced and the guys in the forum have been helpful to me in the past too. Tell them your requirements and they'll most likely give you a list of bits.

Hmm..That's a bit of a "How long is a piece of String" question m8...have you got a rough budget in mind?

HI Tranquilo,

Thanks I'll check that out shortly.

Widowmaker - the answer is, as cheap as I can get away with, but still to have the firepower to run OFF P3 pretty much maxed out. I'm guessing that if I cap my budget at about £500, then my other half won't throw a fit.

You can find some very knowledgeable people here and they've helped me upgrade my rig over the past year. Good luck with your new venture mighty! I too work at home for the past 9 months with a startup so if you want to swap war stories just PM me.

Well, I'll make the first suggestion...buy an Asus motherboard....I've had 3 now, and all have been superb

Anyway the ideal:

ANTEC THREE HUNDRED

CORSAIR TX-650W V2

THERMALRIGHT TRUE SPIRIT 120

KINGSTON or GSKILL 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ (CL9)

ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1

INTEL CORE i5 2500K (3.3GHZ) SKT 1155

NVIDIA GTX560 T1GB

WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB SATA II 32MB

LG / ASUS / OPTIARC / LITE ON DVD±R

You can exchange GTX560 for GTX550. Exchange ASUS P8P76 PRO for ASUS P8P67.

You can easily overclock this machine if needed. Which can extend PC life in terms of performance. In that case I would stay with PRO version of the board, because, usually are better for oveclock.

The budget:

ANTEC THREE HUNDRED

CORSAIR TX-650W V2

INTEL CORE i3 2100 (3.1GHZ) SKT 1155

ASUS P8P67-M REV 3.0

KINGSTON KIT 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ

NVIDIA GTX550 T1GB

WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB SATA II 32MB

LG / ASUS / OPTIARC / LITE ON DVD±R

No need to go for Corsair PSU, of course, only, it's more reliable than one of those Chinese cheap PSUs.

It's a way of protecting your investment.

I don't know how much does it cost in UK, but these are just suggestions.

I'm an Intel guy, so for AMD I don't know what to suggest.

Check and see if MS is still offering student discounts on software. They were, at least for awhile, offering some very steep discounts on o.s.'s and office programs.

As to offering hardware advice, I'm form the "old school" of value: if it's already paid for, first see if it (pc case, psu, etc.) can work properly with newer hardware before simply replacing it.

plug_nickel

I might have a Windows 7 Home edition OE which I got at pre-order price before it was released. If I can find it you're welcome to it for what I paid for it.

Thanks for everyone's input so far - trust me, it is much appreciated.

I'll be checking out prices as per Von Paulus - thanks mate - and I've also been told that Comet, who were sold off for a quid (!) just last week are having some sort of monster sale on, so I'll be looking there too. In fact, I'm wondering if post Xmas for a new PC is a better bet??? Sales and all that...

Anyway, keep them coming - I need this machine to be my business steed and my next OFF ride!

Hi Tranquillo,

Just seen your post (was cooking tea for the missus) - cheers buddy, I might well take you up on that one...

Hi Tranquillo,

Just seen your post (was cooking tea for the missus) - cheers buddy, I might well take you up on that one...

I'll have a look for it tomorrow and let you know.

As to offering hardware advice, I'm form the "old school" of value: if it's already paid for, first see if it (pc case, psu, etc.) can work properly with newer hardware before simply replacing it.

But yes, of course you're right, almccoyjr.

I'll be checking out prices as per Von Paulus - thanks mate - and I've also been told that Comet, who were sold off for a quid (!) just last week are having some sort of monster sale on, so I'll be looking there too. In fact, I'm wondering if post Xmas for a new PC is a better bet??? Sales and all that...

In the good old days, it wasn't a good time. Because people still had some money after Christmas and they would still buy computers. Most of the big brands were out of stock and expecting for new models in January. Also to buy between October and December were the worst months to buy anything related with computers. The prices were naturally inflated.

But that was in Portugal and in the good old days.

Now I don't have a clue. But because, even with the harder times hitting a lot of people, still there must exist a little more demand then in other seasons of the year.

Mighty, I can do nothing else for you than to wish you all the success you need - small or big,

and this I really do. I can only say, that my ATI HD4870 (1GB) is a good choice still for running OFF.

As the card came out summer 2008, but is still quite good, and shouldn't cost to much second hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R700

As the card came out summer 2008, but is still quite good, and shouldn't cost to much second hand.

I don't recommend to anybody to buy graphic cards in second hand. We never know how far they were pushed and overclocked. Unless if it comes, from a reliable source.

Hi Tranquillo,

PM sent.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far - particularly those who've been kind enough to PM me with offers of material help. You chaps are amazing, and are one of the great reasons that I keep coming back to this terrific forum. The generosity of your spirits and your wisdom is quite overwhelming at times.

THe business plan is coming together, and I'm seeing someone this Friday to try and get onto a government scheme - ironic, given that they've just cut off my dole! - to get £65 a week support for a limited time whilst, I hope, business starts to come in.

It's all new territory for me, and there's much to learn and consider, but I now feel that there's something out there that I can work at, without being subject to the vagaries of other people's opinions or a power structure/hierarchy that simply doesn't understand me and the way I work.

Either I will fall flat on my arse, and it's goodnight Vienna, or else this might just be the best thing that's happened to me since the evening I agreed to marry my other half.

Thanks all - keep those suggestions coming, particularly those of you who happen to have an unused copy of Office 2010 kicking about (hint, hint..!).

Cheers,

Si

I've run my own Business in IT for 8 yrs Si....If you need any help with anything (Tax or stuff like that)...just let me know ok?

Best of luck...working for yourself can be worrying at first...but make sure you check out your entitlements again...because you can still get Social, even when you're trading as a sole trader...At least whilst it's in startup and early doors.....dont miss out :good:

PS...if you need any RAM...I got sh*tloads here (well, about 4 gb of DD2) :drinks:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Thanks to WidowMaker and Tranqs - your posts are incredibly helpful. I may well take you up on your offers, but it'll be at least a week or more before I can let you know. Hope that's OK.

Thanks for the offer of help with the business side WM; I'll be going as a sole trader so any hints as to the ins and outs of that, then please PM me! As for the memory - I might well be back to you on that as well, depending on how the new base unit works out.

Wow. It's a ride, that's for sure.

I'm so puppyishly grateful to everyone who's taken the trouble to post or PM me. I truly, truly appreciate your generosity.

Cheers - and watch your six!

Si

All the best of luck with your endeavour Si. I wish I had some nice current computer bits I could send along to you but everything I have here is quite out of date. I do offer you my full moral support and all the positive chi I can channel your way, for what that may be worth in the greater cosmic scheme.

Thanks Lou.

It's quite incredible the amount of support and goodwill that suddenly comes your way when you tell people you're starting a business. Thanks for your best wishes, chi and anything else that comes my way! Now, all I have to do is to persuade people to buy the product....

It's all about advertising and having an online presence these days Si, so I recommend setting up your own new venture website and pitching your services there. :type:

hahaha...and then you'll have the joy of SEO to worry about! :lol: