Sign in to follow this  
TX3RN0BILL

ArmA 2 or 3?

Now that I have a new rig, I was wondering if it was worth getting ArmA 2 or rather worth waiting for ArmA 3? My rig ain't bad - i7 980 (6-core), 12gb RAM and an XFX HD 6870 2GB... Now I'm an old fan of OFP, and I was greatly disappointed by ArmA 1 to the point that I rarely played it, kept on trucking on OFP... Knowing how power-hungry the series is, I was wondering if it was worth getting the ArmA 2 Combined Operations or rather I should wait for ArmA 3? I haven't tried out the free ArmA 2, but I've read that ArmA 2 now has support for multi-core CPU's for even more than 4, so that would finally take advantage of my rig at the fullest... I'll probably choose ArmA 2 Combined Operations since I know how buggy normally BIS have their products at their release, and alot has already been done in terms of addons for ArmA 2... Speaking of which, are Oyman's tractors already available in ArmA 2? Many thanks in advance for your input!

You should be fine with that hardware for ARMA2 and more than likely 3. The demo at E3 for ARMA3 was running on modest current hardware (i5 etc).

I'm not too sure about the tractors though! :D

Arma 2 came with stock tractors. :grin:

Anyway, combined ops with the DLC is a great package. In fact, a patch was released earlier this year IIRC to 1.60 and the game runs better than ever. I understand there's yet another one coming soon. Arma 3 will have lots of new features and as you say will likely need several patches to make it "right", but I'm not concerned because over the last 10 years BIS has done a great job. The only problem was when they stopped the OFP patches for a long time when their CM deal broke down. That was long before Arma though.

Thanks for the replies guys!

JediMaster, OFP also came with default tractors - but Oyman was the first to turn them into something useful - he gave them weapons and armor! His tractors are full of win! :haha:

Guess I'll give ArmA 2 CO a shot - as soon as my budget allows for it... :unsure: Not a good moment atm...

I have Arma2:CO and Arma2:reinforcements with a lot of add-ons from the AWESOME communities!It's the best combat REALISM SIM i have ever played.Hands down!

I have read that Arma3 minimum requirements state an OpSys of Win7 or WinVista....I have WinXp x64.....I have had nothing but nightmares at work with both Vista and Win7.......(with the simplest of tasks...even the IT guy says we should stay with WinXp)with very little tech help....thats not to say that some people have no problems with Win7 or Vista....I have.

No,thanks BIS.......I bought the best SIM you have put out to date....I'm extremely happy with Arma2:CO+Reinforcements.....I WILL NOT UPGRADE MY OP/SYS to buy Arma3.Period.

• Like 1