Sign in to follow this  
Intruder7011

Anyone still play enough to want new missions?

I am thinking about creating my own series of single missions that form a campaign, one that flows with a solid historical story line but not just the same boring missions, more of a multi-viewpoint, same battle thing (If that makes sense). I'd be pushing the game to its max as far as objects to make it more realistic and intense. Just wondering if its worth posting them here for people since it doesn't seem like there's much interest anymore. Also if people prefer the missions to come one by one or just one massive posting with all of them.

Toyed witht he idea of doing something like this myself, still might. Was thinking along the lines of Northern Sabre circa '50/60's RN and USN vs. the usual suspects.

Craig

edit: disregard the above, Numbnuts here entered the thread from the homepage and asumed it was on the SF2-X boards :oops:

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

Are you referring to Il-2:46 or Cliffs of Dover?

CloD could use missions since it came with so few. 1946 has been around a long time, and there are lots of missions out there already, so you may not see as much response for that.

1946. I think Cliffs of Dover is the only one I don't have. For how old these games are Im not disappointed with the graphics. With the settings set at max/perfect and making the adjustments to the conf.ini file for better water, forests and so on the game in my opinion looks just as good as anything else I've played in the combat simulator family... maybe there will be a resurgence, who knows, I will post them either way if there is one person interested.

I will start on them soon, I just ordered my new 24 inch LED monitor (Whooo) and once I get that I will be able to sit in a chair and actually get down to business. Currently I just plug directly into my big screen and sit in my cockpit.. so needless to say its hard to build missions sitting with the stick and throttle right there.

I've been doing some reading and watching some documentaries and getting ideas. Obviously Midway is a major one I will work on since I was disappointed with the level of objects and fighting. (At least from the fighter stand point). I will also be looking at Operation Vengeance and the shooting down of Admiral Yamamoto. Also thinking about more strikes into Japan with B-29's and Doolittle's raid to start. We'll see how it goes.

Update:

So I messed around with how far I could stretch the game on my machine and this is what I got;

20+ IJN Ships, 80 Allied aircraft, est. 60 IJN aircraft, all converging over the fleet within 3 miles of each other and the ships were within 1 mile of each other. My max FPS was 60, Avg was around 34. I dipped below 15 a few times but it still wasnt choppy, only when I bailed did it lag for a few seconds. (Id post a screen but I cant find where they are saving for some reason)

My setting are set to max/perfect and my conf.ini file water is at 4, forest 3, effects 2, so on.

I think I can make some pretty intense stuff for those who have high-end machines since my FPS didn't go too crazy and that was with everything getting blown out of the sky at once and within view. If I toned it down a bit and things were more realistically spread I dont think there would be any FPS issues.

My computer specs are as follows:

Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan

2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

(3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition

850 Watts - Thermaltake Smart Series SP-850M 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card

Edited by Intruder7011

LOL, you're using a top end 2011/12 system and claiming you have no trouble running a game with 2003-era graphics at max details? Naturally! Plus, the naval maps were extra easy on the PC. Try that number of airplane over the Gulf of Finland map over Leningrad and I'm sure it will be a bit slower. :wink:

FWIW I know people with substantially less powerful systems that likewise run Il-2 at max with no problems. CloD is not as easy since it's a later generation, but with a machine more like yours you'd still get comparable performance with that number of planes as long as you're not fighting over a city like London.

Touche about the system, I just figured someone would ask if I posted missions and I have no idea how the missions would act on any other machine. I did the test just off the coast of Naha Okinawa so I could see if some land and ground stuff would do anything, obviously nothing near populace cities like you are saying.

Anyways, I've begun making the missions and was curious is it better to post them as singles or as a package?

If the missions are closely related, it makes the most sense to package them. If they're an eclectic bunch from all over the war, do however you'd prefer to, but I think packaging is still better since even together one file of missions is pretty small...but grabbing a bunch of individual files takes more time.