Sign in to follow this  
Dave

DCS WWII: Europe 1944

RRG Studios announces an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for DCS WWII: Europe 1944, a start of an exciting new flight simulation series.

MOSCOW, Russia – September 1, 2013 - Legendary flight simulation designers Ilya Shevchenko, Igor Tishin, and Matt Wagner are excited to announce an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for a new WWII flight simulation being developed for the PC. DCS WWII: Europe 1944 is the start of an exciting new flight simulation series. Built by industry veterans at RRG Studios with the same approach that made famous flight sims of the past great, and in partnership with the experts at the Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics, the simulation aims to satisfy seasoned aces as well as attract new pilots to the genre.

DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will take the player to the skies over Western Europe at the height of WWII in 1944. Players will attack enemy ground vehicles in the famous P-47 Thunderbolt in the Battle of Falaise, or intercept waves of B-17 Flying Fortresses in their Messerschmitt Bf.109; or attempt to fend off incredible new Me.262 jet fighters in their suddenly slow and obsolete propeller-driven Spitfires.

With successful Kickstarter funding of stretch goals, the project will include more famous historical aircraft, such as the Lockheed P-38, de Havilland Mosquito, Messerschmitt Me.262, and even a flyable version of the Boeing B-17.

The simulation is based on the award-winning DCS engine used in such stellar products as DCS: P-51D Mustang and DCS: A-10C Warthog. DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will boast an all-new EDGE landscape engine, as well as many new and updated features.

As all simulations in the DCS line, DCS WWII titles will boast detailed recreations of famous WWII aircraft and meticulous modeling of individual aircraft systems. Combat missions over a huge game world painstakingly recreated from period maps will offer rich single-player experience recreating famous battles from both sides. 

DCS WWII will also ship with advanced AI that recreates historical tactics and models pilots of varying skill levels, from bumbling rookies to merciless aces. Other features such as the dynamic weather and seasons, comprehensive training, robust multiplayer , a powerful mission and campaign editor, as well as a mission replay system, pilot log book, and other features will all add up to incredible player experience.

“With unparalleled attention to detail, our developers have decades of experience with aerial combat simulations,” said Ilya Shevchenko of RRG Studios. “We are famous for our ability to make our games fun while maintaining unwavering dedication to historical realism. We can do it because the relatively simple aircraft of the WWII era do not require extensive training, and nimble controls and simple weapons naturally lead to fast-paced close-quarters battles.“

“We want to open a new page in WWII combat simulations,” said Matt Wagner of Eagle Dynamics. “At the same time we strive to recapture everything that made the flight simulations of the past great, starting with a thick spiral-bound manual and comprehensive training, and ending with great free-for-all multiplayer. We want to keep creating the content that we enjoy creating and that our fans enjoy playing for years to come.”
The team intends for DCS WWII: Europe 1944 to act as the forerunner of a long-running DCS WWII simulation series covering all theaters of WWII, and expanding into other nearby conflicts, such as the Korean War.

In addition to industry-leading attention to detail, incredible graphics, unparalleled flight dynamics, and award-winning multiplayer, DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will also shop with an innovative distribution model. As the last major release in the DCS line, DCS World, DCS WWII will also be distributed via a free-to-play model. The full-featured core game will be available as a free download, allowing anyone to check out the game and its features. Additional modules containing new aircraft or new gameplay areas will be available as a separate purchase. 

The free-to-play model allows a wider audience access the core game by, in essence, offering a free demo that allows anyone to try the game before they buy it. At the same time, the model accurately reflects immense development costs attached to historically accurate study sims. 

The Kickstarter campaign for the title will launch on September 5th.

About RRG Studios

RRG Studios brings over 10 years of experience with WWII flight simulations to the table. Staffed with flight sim veterans that worked on the greatest WWII flight sim series of the 21st century, we literally wrote the book on the new generation of flight sims.

About Eagle Dynamics

Eagle Dynamics is the studio responsible for the biggest modern aviation sims of the past twenty years. In-house experts have industry-best experience with physics, avionics, ballistics, and all other components that go into making a successful flight simulation. Eagle Dynamics continues to redefine the genre and continuously sets the bar high with each new release.

About the Fighter Collection

The Fighter Collection is the company that manages Eagle Dynamics. It is based in Cambridge, England, and it operates Europe’s largest fleet of airworthy WWII aircraft. The Fighter Collection runs the annual Flying Legends airshow, giving us unprecedented access to the aircraft we simulate.

• Like 3

In addition to industry-leading attention to detail, incredible graphics, unparalleled flight dynamics, and award-winning multiplayer, DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will also shop with an innovative distribution model. As the last major release in the DCS line, DCS World, DCS WWII will also be distributed via a free-to-play model. The full-featured core game will be available as a free download, allowing anyone to check out the game and its features. Additional modules containing new aircraft or new gameplay areas will be available as a separate purchase. 

I think I want to know more about this part. It's "the last major release"? So, F/A-18C comes out first? They're moving on to a DCS World 2 after this? This is separate from DCS World somehow?

That one paragraph just opened a HUGE can of beans that I imagine Matt will be wading through for some time to come until they release a clearer roadmap.

'Obsolete, propeller-driven Spitfires'??? Pul-eaze! I think I know what RRG are trying to say - that the jet age 262 in a sense made the prop types obsolescent - but the Spit XI (let alone the Mark XIV) was still one of the best in 1945, three years after its debut.

Anyway, this sounds really good. The emphasis on a good singe-player campaign experience and good AI is VERY welcome. And a sim which majors on both the tactical, fighter-bomber role AND the battle with the 'heavies' (109s against 'waves of Flying Fortresses', implies decent formations), this could be a true successor to European Air War (which was uniquely good in its coverage of the air war in the ETO) and is long overdue.

If DCS: Europe 1944 can fill EAW's shoes as well as the write-up suggests - even for just the 1944 timeframe and even if the flyable plane-set is limited at the outset to the 'Jug', the 109 and the Spit -  this could be the Next Big Thing in this genre and a big hit.

Edited by 33LIMA
  • Like 1

I'm thinking it might fill Jane's WWII Fighters shoes before EAW...seeing as EAW had the BoB and the entire Western Euro war from 43-45.

The narrow focus does put it in more direct competition with BoS, which focuses on Stalingrad while Jane's WWIIF focused on the Battle of the Bulge.

I think I want to know more about this part. It's "the last major release"?

"The last" and "the latest" are the same word in Russian, and get mixed up in translations all the time. Might be the case here.

dunno guys... this whole DCS World as good platform as it is...

when I ask? Isn't JM right (and I think Jedi is right most of the time) that by the time this and other DCSW releases come to light, all boards will be hyping about DCSW 2 or whatever ED has in plans... then -what's with continuation and support, what's with legacy support, etc

on a positive note, small scope and focus on SP is good sign in my opinion, also thumbs up for that waves of seventeens, will love to see that

Blimey its already over $10,000 on day 1

Will have to wait and see - DCS was always going to be a long term development with maybe a few things released per year -

As for DCSW2  - ETA 2025

Anyone going to contribute? I'm going to throw in a $20

Something I saw on the KS page I didn't see in the PR:

OLEG MADDOX

Did he actually agree to return to the WWII sim world with this? If he's going to have a major level of involvement, more than his token final CloD contributions, then I think they have a major shot at recapturing the glory. Deservedly or not, Luthier's rep was hurt by CloD. Oleg's was as well, mostly for letting people believe he worked on it longer than he really did so as not to hurt CloD's sales pre-release apparently. It looked a bit like blatant manipulation which was not well received (again, I'm not talking facts here, I'm talking appearance which in PR is often more important than facts).

But if Oleg is taking an active role in this, even if he's not running the show, then 777 has a real contender on its hands instead of running for the "top next gen WWII sim" title unopposed.

Again, it's possibly appearance trumping reality here, but this is a major point.

• Like 2

Luthier's involved, so I take it all with a grain of salt. Sorry. When there is something tangible, we'll see.

yeah, we'll see...

by the time folks like me could be knee-deep praising Jason's deeds (which I support!)

the more the merrier after all

40$ from me. Hope this one provides a good show.

BTW can we start speculating about that terrain? What about Albania?

So you think it might be a balkans map? 

Wasn't 1944 a push through Italy? not up on WW2 history really

Can be well Italy, I togut the map was for DCs world, but If for WW2, Italy seems reasonable. We will need a P-40 then :D

Very much into the WWII era. Have 9 installs of CFS3,2 for IL-2 '46 along with a few others-(modern jets)and a few WWI sims. Hear that the same team that brought us WOFF is working on a WWII release soon to come out maybe this summer. Looking forward to the DCS designed WWII sim. My favorite era to fight in bar none.Great news ! Have Flaming Cliffs, Falcon 4.0 BMS and Free Falcon 6 for my modern jet fix too.

Very much into the WWII era. Have 9 installs of CFS3,2 for IL-2 '46 along with a few others-(modern jets)and a few WWI sims. Hear that the same team that brought us WOFF is working on a WWII release soon to come out maybe this summer. Looking forward to the DCS designed WWII sim. My favorite era to fight in bar none.Great news ! Have Flaming Cliffs, Falcon 4.0 BMS and Free Falcon 6 for my modern jet fix too.

The immediately previous post was from December 2016.  Before that, this thread had been DEAD for over three years.

DCS WWII is VAPORWARE!  Don't get your hopes up.  People are purchasing individual planes and such, letting Eagle Dynamics play the same cash grab that Piranha Games did with Mechwarrior Online, when they sold all their battlemechs individually.  There's never going to be a DCS sim like the old time ones, where you bought the one game and got 30 flyable planes, campaigns, individual missions, and a mission creator.  They can make too much money nickel and diming their customers for each individual plane, map, et cetera.  And, the sheeple are buying into it and letting them get away with it SO much, we may never see another complete flight sim game come out, as a single package.

I had hopes, when I first heard of DCS WWII, that it would be something special.  Those hopes died a painful death, long ago.

-Irish