Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

Red Sun Setting - CFS2

Flying for the Imperial Japanese Army in Yoshi's 'Battle of Chishima' campaign!

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-53-10-37.jpg

Having recently had a lot of fun spending more time with CFS2, one campaign I was keen to revisit was 'The Battle of Chishima' by Yoshitsugu 'Yoshi' Nagata, which I'd last enjoyed maybe 10 years ago. My original interest in this campaign sprang from an interest in Japanese WW2 warplanes. One of my favourite 1/72 kits 'back in the day' was Revell's Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa (Peregrine Falcon). I had my model painted up just like the box art, silver overall with wavy green camo on top and yellow leading-edge prop warning panels. By pulling off the two-bladed prop you could remove the engine cowling to reveal the radial engine, the cockpit canopy could slide back and I even managed to make the undercart retractable (albeit they didn't pivot, but could be manually pushed in place, either up or down. My kind of kit!

Revel ki43.JPG

The real Hayabusa was very popular with its pilots despite being rather underpowered, under-protected and under-armed by the standards of the time, even it first entered service in 1941. According to Osprey's 'Dogfight - P-40 Warhawk -vs- Ki-43 'Oscar' ' only 40 were in service by the date of the attack on Pearl Harbour and the first models had a two-blade fixed-pitch prop and just two rifle-calibre machine guns. However, its superb handling and manoeuvrability reportedly endeared the US-dubbed 'Oscar' to its pilots and it was certainly more modern that the even more manoeuvrable but slower, spatted-undercart Ki-27 that it supplemented then replaced as the IJA's premier single-seat fighter. Vulnerable to enemy fire it may have been, but it was no pushover.

CFS2's Hayabusa is, I believe, the Ki-43IIb model with more powerful engine, stronger, shorter-span wings, some protection for pilot and fuel tanks and two heavy MGs, in full production by October 1942. Although it's one of the Artificial Intelligence-flown planes in CFS2, this is one sim that has no shortage of freeware and payware mods, including ones to make the AI planes flyable. The only catch is that some of these come with no cockpit so you just have external and 'gunsight' views (with the reticle hanging in a clear sky, not what I'm used to but great for gunnery and a good view!)

This time around I wanted to fly the Hayabusa in both CFS2 and IL-2. The former is first up for a mission report here at CombatAce and features Yoshi's Chishima campaign. Chishima is better known to Westerners as the Kurile Islands, which stretch in an arc from the north-east tip of the Japanese mainland all the way to Russia's Camchatka Peninsula, just across the northern Pacific from Alaska. In mid-1943, US air raids began to probe the Japanese defences in this region and it's these relatively small-scale tussles that this mini-campaign represents. There's a set of five single missions designed to be flown in sequence, which is fine by me as I can live without the rather excessively goal-oriented CFS2 approach to campaigns. The Chishima missions aren't all intercepttions: for example the third mission has you providing air cover for a submarine whose engines have failed. Here's the link for the campaign:

http://simviation.com/1/browse-Missions+%26+Campaigns-85-2

And here's the brief for mission number one. It's short and sweet but you get the picture! There's no indication of the enemy's strength, but I was leading a flight of no less than eight Hayabusas so, sensibly or otherwise, I was feeling fairly relaxed about the odds. Given that the local air defence set-up was liable to be a tad primitive, I suppose the limited 'int' is perhaps realistic! We were operating from Kitanodai airfield, which was on the island of Paramushiro (see pic of the real airfield here: http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/P/a/Paramushiro.htm ) and was apparently used as a base by the 54th Sentai.

Chbrief1.jpg

The sim crashed if I tried to open the map (it's on the 'Advanced Info' tab) in the briefing screen so without further ado, I kicked the tires and lit the fires, and consulted the map once the mission had loaded. Here it is. The enemy bombers - as in, the red plane icon - are evidently targeting installations on another island just across a narrow channel from our sea-side base. Sensibly, you can see that the only mission goal is to survive; there's no silly requirement to destroy at least a fixed number of enemies.

Untitled.jpg

And here we are, good to go. I've always liked this camouflaged natural metal finish on the 'Oscar' and the CFS2 version, though designed for the AI, is fully up the the high standard of the CFS2 player planeset, complete with animated parts like extending flaps and wheels which bounce on their oleo legs as you roll on the ground. Bring on the Yanquis!

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-28-56-07.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-29-14-45.jpg

...to be continued!

Up and at 'em!

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-29-36-82.jpg

I started up, checked the controls and set flaps for takeoff. With incoming fast bombers to catch, there was clearly no time to hang around. I opened her up and roared off down the runway, correcting the swing with a touch of rudder. My squadron wasted no time and was soon doing the same, right behind me, an impressive spectacle. My morale rose accordingly as I climbed up and away from Kitanodai, leaving behind the large hangars, the parked planes and all the other paraphanalia of a secondary but well-appointed island airbase.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-29-53-73.jpg

I cleaner her up, turned on the Tactical Display and began a climbing turn to the left, to pick up the displayed blue route indicator line.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-30-24-53.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-30-48-18.jpg

This was a short leg and I was soon turning again, this time onto a course which seemed calculated to intercept the US bombers in the vicinity of their likely target. I'm not sure why the leg ran so far to the north-east, unless it was intended to take us along the enemy's line of retreat. Hopefully we would make contact long before coming to the end of the leg.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-31-45-25.jpg

This gave me the opportunity to admire my mount. CFS2 may be rather long in the tooth but though lacking modern graphic features like bump mapping or self-shadowing, its aircraft still look good in both outline and in finish, with realistic and sharp nicely-weathered textures. To my eye, they have stood the test of time pretty well, a fitting tribute to their builders. And while the exterior view zooms in fixed steps, there's none of the horrible CFS3-style 'wide angle lens effect' to distort the image.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-30-52-58.jpg

Back to business! From the map I was expecting to meet bombers over the next island, perhaps catching them on their way out as they crossed from right to left ahead of us. But instead, scanning an arc of sky ahead, I spotted a 'vic' of three aircraft coming in from the sea to my left, at about 10 o'clock, and fortunately not above us. They looked too big to be fighters, so I took them for an incoming enemy raid, targetting our forces on the island across the channel.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-32-07-98.jpg

They were moving fast and if I wanted to have any chance of catching them before they bombed - if they hadn't, already! - I could not afford to get dragged into a long tail chase. So I turned so as to set up the 'Tizzy Angle', named for the Polish RAF pilot who realised that the easiest way to set an optimal interception course on a bandit crossing your flight path was to adjust your course so that the enemy just grew as you closed, without seeming to drift either ahead or astern as the range wound down. With my squadron at my heels, I slowly edged closer.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-32-26-77.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-34-48-58.jpg

...to be continued!

First blood!

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-38-10-09.jpg

Slowly, we closed in on the three presumed enemy bombers. As they neared landfall, I thought they had the look of twin-engined aircraft with twin tail fins - B-25 Mitchells!

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-39-05-51.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-39-57-58.jpg

We continued to gain ground and I nosed down slightly, both to gain a bit of speed and to bring myself in below the rear gunner's field of fire. The excitement mounted as the enemy flight, to start with just a group of indistinct specks in the sky, assumed the shape of a vee formation of Mitchells running at full tilt but armed to the teeth with heavy machine guns.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-40-33-46.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-41-37-20.jpg

Time to get busy! I switched to the cockpit view - well, ok, the no-cockpit, gunsight reticle view - and prepared to make my attack. So far, this seemed to be working. There was no return fire - yet. I hadn't realised that these early B-25's lacked the tail turret later fitted. So I was still more than a bit anxious, waiting for the moment the enemy gunners would decide to do something about my approach.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-42-06-85.jpg

I decided to attack the right-hand bomber but underestimated my closing speed. I had to break away below him without firing more than a few rounds, jinking to avoid return fire and nosing down again to pick up speed and get out of danger. At this point I remembered to give my squadron the order to attack, too.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-43-55-43.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-42-41-50.jpg

I seemed to have escaped this rather ropey performance without sustaining any damage. That was not my only piece of good fortune. I found that my speed had carried me past the two rearmost bombers and into a decent position from which to have a crack at the leader. So that's what I did.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-44-04-04.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-44-09-78.jpg

I got some hits on his left wing then, levelling out, fired again. His starboard engine burst into flames and he curved away, trailing a long streamer of dark smoke.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-45-13-32.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-46-03-42.jpg

So far, so good - one down, two to go!

...to be continued!

The falcon strikes again!

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-46-52-64.jpg

Leaving my lagging squadron-mates to deal with the last bomber - and finish off my victim, if necessary - I went for another Mitchell. With the leader on fire, the other two had split and turned left. Picking my target, I cut across his turn, noticing for the first time the yellow pencil lines of his tracers streaking back towards me. I stayed low and this seemed to help, for his rounds went wide.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-47-32-40.jpg

But in matching his curve to stay under his tail, I ended up in a tail chase when he straightened out. Closing only slowly and reluctant to take too much of a chance with his heavy defensive weapons, I started snapping out short bursts from my twin heavy MGs, observing the fall of shot and correcting my aim till I started getting some hits. After a few of these, a fire started in his rear fuselage and then he suddenly flipped forward into a steep nosedive. It looked like my rounds had severed his elevator control cables. Two bombers down! That would do nicely!

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-48-13-62.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-49-27-95.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-50-18-36.jpg

Back in the external, 'spot' view - which I generally fly in, pre- and post-combat, for better appearances and better preipheral vision - I banked left and looked around, wondering what my squadron mates had been up to. I turned on the TAC, to help. While I prefer to avoid such on-screen aids, in fast-moving WW2 or later air combat, it's actually a good way of simulating the results of a few seconds of rapid scanning. No amount of panning or head-tracking can really compensate for the limits of sitting at a monitor and using hardware to perform what the human mind and eye can do so much better and so much more naturally. Likely the TAC over-compensates but I'm not one of those people who equate difficulty with either realism or fun. Fine if that's your thing - each to his own - de gustibus non est disputandum.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-50-44-35.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-51-02-28.jpg

With the TAC's help, I soon saw what was what. My squadron was to my rear, some of them milling about for some reason; pehaps they were settling the hash of the bomber I had set afire. Other Hayabusas were closing in behind me.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-51-35-39.jpg

But the really interesting thing was that little white arrowhead on the TAC, off to my left, signifying an unidentified aircraft. Looking in the direction indicated, I could see it was a large aeroplane, likely the third Mitchell. I would almost certainly have spotted him without the TAC and so felt no compunction in altering to an intercepting course. My squadron was now again behind me and in view of their apparent lack of application so far this mission, I resolved to show them how it was done. After a short chase, I rolled in behind the Mitchell and blasted him, with spectacular results.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-59-03-67.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-59-21-87.jpg

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-53-22-49.jpg

I broke up and away, leaving the bomber diving to its destruction in the sea below. Perhaps he'd already been damaged by my comrades but I saw no evidence of it. In fact as far as I was concerned, all three victories were mine, and mine alone. At best I could possibly thank my squadron for dividing the enemy return fire, such as there was of it.

cfs2 2014-01-19 00-59-37-58.jpg

Anyway, the skies were clear and it was back to base. Clearly I'd survived, and we'd taken no losses as a squadron, while knocking down three bombers. This seemed a pretty good return for a day's work. I doubted it would be so easy, next time, and resolved to make better use of my team in future. In CFS2 you can do this - within the limitations of the AI's abilities - by selecting each target in turn then issuing an 'attack' command, so as to send off a pair of wingmen after each one. With eight of us on the mission, I could and should have done this before piling in myself. But three kills and a lesson or two learned can't be all bad, I told myself as I came in to land back at Kitanodai.

cfs2 2014-01-19 01-00-34-53.jpg

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this mission from Yoshi's 'The Battle of Chishima'; as much as I recall doing first time around, many moons ago. To my mind, CFS2's still a pretty good air combat sim, a good choice for anyone wanting to make a start in the genre and a great platform for a Pacific air war fix for old and new players alike.

It's not the only one though. By way of comparison, the next report will feature the Ki-43 Hayabusa again, this time in IL-2 '46.

09.02.2014 0-15-01.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 33LIMA
      Flying the Lancaster in Just Flight's venerable 'Dambusters' add-on for CFS2

There can't be many missions more famous than that flown in May 1943 by RAF Bomber Command's 617 Squadron to attack dams in the Ruhr, Germany. And justly so, for the mission was a triumph of technical ingenuity and airmanship, immortalised in the film named after the Dambusters. Flown with real Lancasters, some of the most impressive footage in the film was shot in daylight and recreated the squadron's low-flying practice over Derwent reservoir, with the mighty Lancs seen from above wheeling over the water as they made their practice runs.

The Just Flight CFS2 add on 'The Dam Busters' was officially licensed by the RAF and like most of the company's add-ons, comes in a nice, solid little box with a decent printed manual. It's far from a one-horse wonder. Subtitled '617 Squadron's Greatest Raids', as well as Operation Chastise, the dams mission, it provides many others, including raids on the Tirpitz, the Dortmund-Ems canal, the Bielefeld railway viaduct and the attack on Hitler's mountain-top lair at the Berchtesgaden. There's a variety of Lancaster variants, including the basic bomber and types adapted to carry the dam-busting 'Upkeep' mine and the Tallboy and ten-ton Grand Slam bombs; plus a pathfinder Mosquito, a late-model BXVI. There's even a Wellington bomber, included so you can fly one of the trial missions flown at Chesil Beach to try out the 'bouncing bomb' in daylight. I believe the add-on is still available:

http://www.justflight.com/product/the-dam-busters

Despite CFS2 not being built to handle bombers, the package does a rather good job, featuring such neat touches as the twin spotlights used for over-water height-finding and the 'wood and nails' rangefinder sight, both as developed for the dams raid. I believe the add-on was used as the basis for a TV documentary a few years back, which featured a crew drawn from current RAF personnel who were trained up and then attempted to re-fly the mission in a specially-made Lanc simulator.

As for the real thing, while we're lucky (in the UK anyway) to be able to see (and hear!) a real Lanc flying with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, you can get no better than this documentary, which features superb authentic wartime footage in colour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQAA2rcBno

Having recently once again watched and enjoyed the Dambusters movie, I thought I'd spool up Just Flight's add-on and fly one of the training missions, followed by at least some of the others. While the Dams raid and some others are in darkness, the package lets you fly them in daylight, if you wish. As I plan on doing it in the dark, there's little point in a screenshot-illustrated mission report on the dams raid itself so I thought I'd provide this short one of the training mission, as a little taster.

Here's the brief, using some of the custom screens that come with the add-on:

There's also a 'recce photograph, which shows the 'scenery' Derwent Dam that comes with the package, along with various RAF bases including Scampton and Woodhall Spa. The dam is crude but effective, and is neatly dressed up to look like a real-life RAF oblique recce picture.

For me, the star of this show is the Lancaster itself. The Just Flight version is nicely rendered by the standards of the time. And it has one outstanding feature - the engine sound. The roar and din of four Merlins at full throttle is an absolute joy and by far the best I've heard in any sim for any plane. And here she is, sitting at the end of the runway at RAF Scampton. She's a standard BI bomber, not the modified version cut away below to hold the drum-like dams weapon.

From the caption to the first screenie, you can see another of the add-on's nice touches - the pilot's injunction to the ground crew to remove the chocks. Neither can be seen but the accompanying audio is neat.

Looking right, I could see the airfield's buildings, a good selection including hangars and Nissen huts. Beside me was a tractor with some bomb tailers. Without further ado, I checked the controls, set the flaps down three notches, and started up. The engines fired up from left to right, bursting into life with a very satsfactory though muted roar.  Ahead to the left you can see the controller's trailer, and beyond that a pair of parked Lancs. To the right, there's another parked aircraft, this time an RAF Dakota.

Now, came the mission's highlight - opening the throttles, and soaking up the din as the Merlins responded in full song. A bit of differential braking was needed to keep her on or near the centre line as we gathered speed, the rudders seeming ineffective, possibly as they are masked by that mighty Lancaster wing. Taking off in a crosswind is an even more interesting experience! Past the parked Lancs we went. As the speed increased I got the tail up and held her there until takeoff speed was reached. A gentle tug on the stick and we were airborne. I quickly retracted the undercart - the animation is a bit fast - and we were on our way!

...to be continued!
    • By 33LIMA
      A stock CFS2 campaign mission in the Imperial Japanese Navy's famous Zero fighter!

Figuring that - if I was going to be spending more time in CFS2 - I should get myself better re-acquainted with its ways and workings, I decided to kick off a stock campaign in the fighter which defined the Pacific War, Jiro Horikoshi's A6M Navy Type Zero Carrier fighter. I'd always had a soft spot for this plane, having built many a model back in the day, including in 1/72 those by Matchbox (A6M2), FROG (A6M3, later re-released by Matchbox Germany), Airfix (A6M2) and Revell (A6M5) and the excellent 1/32 A6M5 by the latter maker. The little Matchbox kit was always a favourite. Even though its Pearl Harbour version had the short wing of the later A6M5, it looked well left in the white plastic in which it was mostly moulded, with canopy frames picked out, motor cowling painted black and prop in silver. Nice box art too:

And of course there were the movies - specifically, the Zeros in 'Tora, Tora, Tora!' That was a flim made in a day - long gone, if the silly, rather sad comic-book aerial scenes in 'Pearl Harbour', 'Red Tails' and the like are anything to go by - when some film producers could contrive to show just a little bit of respect for their material. Nowadays it's just spectactular but contrived car chases on wings, often hiding behind the claim that they are 'Inspired by true events'.  Ouch!

Anyhow a Zero it would be for me, in CFS2. I could have started at Pearl Harbour as I have the Just Flight add-on of that name but I'd never fully played a stock campaign before so started there, even though I knew this begins after 'the Hawaian Operation'.

While IL-2 Pacific Fighters has a better stock planeset and isn't restricted to fighters, CFS2 has a more representative set of ships, decent graphics and even now, is still a great choice for anyone wishing to fly in the PTO, not to mention the many add-ons, freeware and payware, still available.

I quite like the distinctive comic book style CFS2 campaign interface - which again, seems to hail from a mostly-lost era, when sim-makers added such little touches, which brought their campaigns to life . So I sat thru the Japanese pilot's subtitled soliloquy which nicely set the scene for my campaign. Then I got my briefing for our first mission. It was March 13th, 1942, and we were flying land-based Zeros based at Malaguna in New Guinea, supporting our offensive operations in the western Solomon Islands. On our first mission, my flight of thee Zeros was to escort some D3A 'Val' dive-bombers and B5N 'Kate' torpedo/level bombers to raid the enemy airfield at Buka. Serious air opposition was not expected and were were briefed to strafe the airfield, on arrival. A gentle start to our campaign...or a death trap? I would soon find out!

Having consulted the map. I took a quick look at the reconnaisance photograph of the objective. This is actually a very good feature. As it showed the location of the airfield flak, I should have used it to make a plan, allocating my wingmen to attack these positions first, once I'd eyeballed them on arrival. 

But I was I a hurry, and instead, headed off to the flight line, where my mount awaited!

...to be continued!
    • By 33LIMA
      Low-level precision raids in the 'Wooden Wonder', CFS2-style

Why a mission report on a sim released way back in 2000, you may ask? Well, there are three reasons for this, which go beyond a mere trip down memory lane.

Firstly, there's the relative dearth (in number, sometimes also in quality) of sim releases since then; such that many older sims still compare favourably, in features, if not graphically. IL-2 was released the year after CFS2 and it remains well worth playing. CFS2's graphics may be noticeably more dated but they're still quite serviceable and the sim itself benefited from a tremendous amount of additional freeware and payware content, extending its scope from the Pacific to Europe, Korea and even Vietnam.

Secondly, this report was intended to be first in a series comparing the 'Mossie' in different sims - at least, in CFS2, CFS3 and IL-2. I say 'was'...which leads me onto the third reason for a CFS2 mission report...

…which is that my dated but effective 8800GT graphics card gave up the ghost at the weekend, leaving me having to make do with the budget card it replaced (a 9300GS!). So for the next few months or so, it looks like I'll be dusting off some older sims…which is not entirely a bad thing. Or so I'm telling myself!

The add-on, the mission and the plane

A little while ago on another forum, Hauksbee posted about some famous Mosquito precision bombing missions, which included Operation Jericho, the raid on Amiens Prison designed to aid the escape of French Resistance captives believed to be facing execution. This brought to mind the Just Flight add-on for CFS2 called 'Mosquito Squadron' which I recalled featured this very mission, as well as the Gestapo HQ raids which had prompted Hauksbee's original post. You can find out more about the package, which I believe is still available, here:

http://www.justflight.com/product/mosquito-squadron

…and here:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1180-Mosquito-Squadron

I already had CFS2 installed on my (Vista 64) PC - I still enjoy firing up some of the historical missions for a rattle in a Zero or a Corsair - so I installed the add-on, spooled her up, created a new British pilot and kicked off the Mosquito campaign.

Sure enough, the campaign mission set included Op Jericho, along with many other representative or historical Mosquito raids. And though these are arranged in date order, to create the semblance of an operational tour or career, you can start the sequence with any mission you choose.

So it was that I found myself at the planning screens for Operation Jericho, on 18 February 1944, leading a strike force of eight aircraft. All were Mosquito FBVIs, the fighter-bomber version packing four .303' machine guns and a similar number of 20mm cannon. Despite the latter taking up a good bit of space including the front half of the internal bomb bay, the FBVI still had a room in the rear half for a couple of 500lb bombs, less than the contemporary BIV glass-nosed bomber but capable of being supplemented by bombs or rockets carried under the outer wings. The famous 'Mossie' will need no introduction to anyone with any interest in WW2 aviation; she had a blistering performance for her day and was the envy of her enemies, excelling as day bomber, fighter-bomber, night fighter, anti-shipping and photo-recce aircraft. The 1960s film '633 Squadron' may (or may not!) be rather clichéd by modern standards but it was a feast of roaring Merlins and low-flying Wooden Wonders, with the odd bit of wooden special effects to match but totally free of the contrived Star Wars-style CGI which seems to blot most flying films nowadays. 

Anyhow, back to our raid on Amiens Prison...the CFS2 planning screens, as usual, allowed me to switch crews between flight positions, inspect a map, check mission goals...and view a 'recce photo' of the target. This latter was most useful - it was a render of the target building, annotated to highlight the guard towers, walls and barracks that wanted bombing, as well as the jail block itself, which did not. This was useful, both to help me get 'eyes on' the target during the run in, and to make sure we attacked the right bits of it, only!

The default armament for my machine was rockets and I stuck with these as more accurate weapons (in my unpracticed hands, anyway!) than the HE bombs which I think were actually used on the real raid. Having quickly run through the planning phase - too quickly to take a screenshot, but you'lll be able to see the map at the debriefing stage, later - I kicked off the mission. And here we are, lined up on the runway at RAF Methwold:

Experienced CFS2 players will understand that this sim dates from the time when Microsoft flight sim landscapes were basically barren, apart from placed sets of 'scenery' objects, like the RAF airfield provided with 'Mosquito Squadron'. Despite being Pacific-based, CFS2 does at least include reasonably topographically accurate terrain for much of NW Europe and (as far as I know) the rest of the world, even if it is covered with nothing more than bland (but reasonably effective) textures and odd spots of scenery objects created and placed for specific missions.

Looking at our mounts, the Just Flight Mossie is a nice representation. The canopy framing looks a little slender but the machine's outline looks quite accurate; unlike the CFS3 Mossie, which was a BIV bomber with distinctive split (instead of flat-fronted) windscreen and glass nose painted over for the FBVI and FBXVIII variants, and had a rather poorly-shaped fin.

One negative about this CFS2 version is that the upper surface camouflage pattern is mirrored, whereas in real life the green 'shadow shading' on the upper surfaces was different on left and right sides. Otherwise, it is a reasonable representation of the mid-war Mossie scheme, which used the RAF fighter Command scheme of the day, later modified to use the same, lighter shade of grey above and below.

Inside, you get the old-fashioned fixed cockpit graphic and the less detailed virtual cockpit, the former only supporting snap view, the latter panning as well. Neither are up to IL-2 standards but CFS2 virtual cockpits are not bad, some considering them generally better than the CFS3 versions, though the Just Flight Mossie's is rather dark.

In the external view, I set the flaps to down one notch, checked the controls worked, and started engines, my two Merlins firing up one after the other. One of the highlights of this package - as with the Just Flight 'Dambusters' add-on - is the engine sounds, which are noisy, dramatic and effective, worthy of any current sim.

Brakes off and throttle briskly up to the limit, and I was on my way. Rudder was needed to keep her straight; with the rapid acceleration from my fast application of full throttle, it was easy to overcorrect and some care had to be taken to prevent my kite ground-looping. The CFS2 Mossie's wheels are not animated in rotation but they and the undercart look the part, unlike the undernourished articles on the CFS3 version. I was soon off the ground and retracting my gear.

Flaps up, I called up the 'radar'/Tactical Display/TAC - retained in CFS3, but changed from rectangular to an even more radar-like circular display - and checked the orientation of my first leg with the blue track line to the next waypoint. I climbed slowly and turned gently onto my course, at which point the track line turned green. Throttling back for a bit to enable my squadron to catch up, I looked around. Apart from the scenery objects representing RAF Methwold and the nearby village of that name, there was not much to be seen - open country with summer-like field textures, the odd beige-grey patch denoting an urban area, the flat landscape reasonably appropriate for the low-lying county of Norfolk in eastern England.

Settled on course and into formation, I set the TAC to display ground targets and used the 'warp' feature to avoid the long flight over Norfolk, across the Thames Estuary, over SE England then the English Channel and overland to Amiens in north-western France.

CFS2 campaign missions being scripted rather than 'dynamic', I was confident that unlike CFS3, warp would bring me out at a sensiblly low level, appropriate for this mission, not the 'one-size-fits-all' tens of thousands of feet of the later sim. And so it came to pass.

...to be continued!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..