A CombatAce and OBD Software special...

Bringing classic WW1 memoirs to life in Wings Over Flanders Fields!

Shot03-25-14-23-38-15.jpg

This year marks the hundredth anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War. To help mark this centenary - and to recall the courage and sacrifice of those who fought in the skies of WW1, for real - CombatAce, in partnership with OBD Software, will feature a unique series of mission reports.

Each article will take a look at one of the classic pilot autobiographies of the First World War and will then report on a campaign mission inspired by the book and flown to bring it to life. For this, we'll be using OBD Software's great new sim, Wings Over Flanders Fields, whose realistic orders of battle make it particularly well suited to this particular mission!

The books and the aeroplanes featured will be chosen to illustrate both the development of combat aircraft and the progression of the air war, from 1915 through to 1918. The titles and the planes we currently plan to cover are:

- Duncan Grinnell-Milne's 'Wind in the Wires' (BE2c, 1915);

- Cecil Lewis's 'Sagittarius Rising' (Morane parasol, mid-1916);

- Manfred von Richthofen's 'The Red Battle-flier' (Albatros DII, late 1916);

- Billy Bishop's 'Winged Warfare' (Nieuport Scout, early 1917);

- Arthur Gould Lee's 'No Parachute' (Sopwith Pup, mid-1917);

- James McCudden's 'Flying Fury' (SE5a, late 1917); and

- Rudolph Stark's 'Wings of War' (Pfalz D IIIa, mid-1918).

To accompany the series, we are pleased to announce that OBD Software will be offering a prize to the winner of a competition based on the reports; details will be announced soon.

We plan to begin the series in early April, so watch this space!

Shot03-25-14-23-43-50.jpg

Sounds cool! But, FYI, Richthofen's autobiography was written in May 1917 and published later that year, before he began flying the Fokker Dr.I.  Thus, his book contains no accounts of flying that make/model of airplane.

I'll look forward to this!  Maybe by then I'll have finished training... !

Thanks Jim. I did consider the Albie for MvR but 1917 was getting a bit crowded and I didn't want to go back to late 1916. So think I'll stick with the Dr I! After all MvR, isn't terribly specific about aircraft types - security, and all that - so a bit of artistic licence may be forgiveable. Plans could change, though, 1918 is a long way off still!

Artistic license is what it's going to take, I agree, because MvR's autobiography has nothing to do with either Fokker Dr.Is or 1918.

But, why not late 1916?  :dntknw:  MvR was at the sharp end of the brand new Albs while flying with Boelcke in Jasta 2, and he's written about flying them in his autobiography. The arrival of the Albatros in 1916 was a pivotal event of WW1 aerial warfare. Sure, WOFF doesn't have the Albatros D.I, but it has the Albatros D.II and there is the very famous fight with MvR and Hawker that is in MvR's autobiography. How about Udet's Ace of the Iron Cross for a Fokker Dr.I in 1918? He writes a pretty cool account of flying one with MvR, shooting down an RE8, watching MvR shoot down a Camel, and then the both of them (and others) strafing ground troops afterwards. MvR/Udet flying Fokker Dr.Is in 1918, based on Udet's book, equals two birds with one stone!

I know, I know, "Yankee go Home"! (Hasse, where's the sign? :grin: ) Despite my pedanthood, I think you have a fun idea and look forward to the results.

Hi Jim

My edition of Die Rote Kampflieger includes a chapter by Lothar 'Memories of my Brother' which covers an air fight in Spring 1918 ('Last Flight with Manfred') and even an account of the shoot-down purported to be by A Roy Brown!

But on reflection, yes I'll switch to the Albatros DII in Autum 1916 - it'll bring a German plane into the mix sooner and better address the secondary objective of illustrating the development of aircraft during the war.

What are your own thoughts on how much of  the book represents Manfred's own words and thoughts? For example the section 'Thoughts in a dugout', which looks to have been a later add-on, possibly early 1918, reads to me like an officially-inspired attempt to tone down the 'gay hussar' tenor of the rest of the book, for the benefit of a more war-weary public. But even if the actual writing was that of a 'hack' writer, I like to think that we must be seeing something genuine of the Rittmeister's recollections, thoughts and feelings in that book.

Hi, 33L,

From my research and studies for my MvR book, I believe Thoughts in a Dugout was written by MvR after the autobiography, but not in 1918. All evidence I've found indicates that in April 1918, MvR was 1. not morose, 2. not withdrawn, 3. no longer had headaches, 4. the Germans had been on a strong advance (Kaiserschlacht). This is based on personal recollections of those flying with MvR, numerous photographs, interviews with MvR, and his combat performance Thoughts in a Dugout was more likely written ca. mid/late August 1917, shortly after his headwound, when he had begun flying again but before he had been ordered away on recuperative leave.

In March 1918, his head wound was 8 months old. He no longer even wore a bandage on it. He had been away from the front on leave most of September and October 1917, most of December, and all of January 1918--i.e., he was well rested, with little flying in the winter after his return. He shot down 11 planes that month (two Big Acks, an RE8, a Biff, four Camels, two SE5as, and a Dolphin), 6 in April (one RE8 and five Camels), with long periods of bad weather preventing even more victories. This was his best performance since Bloody April a year before. He was fit, active, friendly, jovial, accessible (ie., not "behind four walls"), at the top of his fighting form. Thoughts in a Dugout matches nothing in that period. However, it does match everything with mid/late August 1917. His wound was slow to heal. He was bandaged. He had to get bone splinters removed from it. A letter home indicates he was unwell after flying. Other letters indicate his displeasure/frustration/disagreeent with the tactical doctrin being forced upon the Staffeln. A conversation in early July, recalled by Bodenschatz, revealed MvR's grim assessment of the current state of the war. He was frustrated with the Albatros company after being shot down in a new Albatros DV, the performance of which mirrored the DIII and did not offer the expected performance increase sought by German pilots. The Third Battle of Ypres had begun. All of these things better match the tone of TIADO.

IMO, people look for "a reason why" MvR was shot down, as if he were some invincible god. I.e., he must have been unwell, must have had PTSD, on 21 April had "violated his personal combat tactics" (he had not), etc. Baloney. He had flown a short distance over enemy lines at low altitude, chasing a lone plane by himself--these are things he had done many times before. The last time he did so, he caught a bullet. C'est la guerre.

• Similar Content

• By VonS

View File FM Tweaks for WoFFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR1&2 (Consolidated)
      Hello fellow fliers of W0FFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR1&2,
      Please find included in this FM tweaks "consolidated" package various folders that contain more than 50 FM mods in total for the UE/PE-era of WoFF, as well as an upgraded package for the BH&H2 ver. of WoFF, and a few FM modifications for Phases One and Two of WoTR. Check over the included Read Me files for more details and info.
      Cheers,
      Von S

DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WoFFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR, and RoF United, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.
      Submitter VonS Submitted 08/08/2018 Category Modding Tools and Add-on Software  
    • By VonS
      Hello fellow fliers of W0FFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR1&2,
      Please find included in this FM tweaks "consolidated" package various folders that contain more than 50 FM mods in total for the UE/PE-era of WoFF, as well as an upgraded package for the BH&H2 ver. of WoFF, and a few FM modifications for Phases One and Two of WoTR. Check over the included Read Me files for more details and info.
      Cheers,
      Von S

DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WoFFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR, and RoF United, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.
    • By Kodokushi
      I created a deck to use with the Matric Android app to control WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELDS: BETWEEN HEAVEN & HELL II.
      Intro
      I'm so new to the game that I still don't know just what I don't know about playing it I have a little bit of flight sim experience in the past but having recently read the remarkable book Marked for Death  byJames Hamilton-Patterson I used google to learn more about WWI flight, found WOFF and jumped in running. I've never been fond of using a keyboard to enter sim commands I'm grateful for this forum, it's been instrumental in helping me get started, my thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'm not affiliated with Matric app in any way, I'm just a guy trying to figure things out The Matric App
      Their Website http://matricapp.com/ All edits are done on the desktop app that is a free download  The mobile app communicates with this desktop app to work with your game (Or photo editor, videos, music, etc. etc. Matric is useful beyond gaming) Google Play Store on Android phone or tablet to get the mobile app.  Cost for the app is scaled based on what you can either afford or how much you value it ranging from $12.99 to $19.99 you choose how much you  pay. I use a Kindle Fire tablet that I found a work around to get the Play Store on How I use Matric in WOFF
      I set up my deck to have everything I didn't have set up already on other devices (you may see buttons you don't need or need more but this is easily editable)  I use SmoothTrack Face Tracking App on my Android phone with Opentrack on my computer so I didn't need the eye movement commands As an aside, I have tried many setups and this is the best inexpensive solution I have found for face tracking I had trouble with my VKB Gladiator NXT Joystick so I pulled an old Logitech Extreme 30 Pro joystick out and started using it.  I think the Gladiator issues are related to some setup I was doing for IL2 and not related to WOFF, I will dedicate the time later to getting it going in WOFF but the Logitech works fine for now. the Logitech has a few commands on it, these are not on my Deck I changed a handful of commands while playing around with setup, please be aware if you download my deck that the following are not standard WOFF commands: Fixed Views Toggle Control+NumberPad5 Select Next Weapon Conrol+NumberPad2 Right Rudder Trim Control+NumberPad6 Left Rudder Trim Control+NumberPad4 Increase Time Compression Control+Semicolon Quality Control If you find an error in my deck, please share it here, I haven't even pushed every button in game yet. Future Plans
      I expect my decks to change quite a bit as I learn. Some buttons will be removed, some changed in look or groupings.  Dedicated decks built for given plane types that have identical or very similar commands, removing commands that do not apply to those planes Move buttons that are needed to access quickly (Combat) in sizing and location to fit my needs as I learn I already have Blip button and unjam guns at the edge of the screen and large in anticipation of needing them quicker I can see moving or copying the Wingman commands to the Weapon and Combat page to access them in the heat of battle without changing pages Decks for realistic flying without any navigation buttons, just the bare basics after I get competent Add maps as pages to decks, they will not be scrollable, but multiple pages that are static maps (images) can be added.  Area around landing field for sure As much of the engagement area as possible as additional pages I hope that some of you here use Matric and contribute your work so that I can implement your improvements into my own setup. If there is another option for this type of tablet based game control that is inexpensive I'd love to hear your experience. For now I can't think of anything that would make me change but I try to keep an open eye as to what is out there. Get my Deck for Free if you have Matric
      Kodokushi WOFF BHAH2 Flanders Field 1.1.2022 Deck • Matric (matricapp.com) Or seach 'Kodokushi' from the desktop Matric app  I plan to date my decks as I update them and will try to keep on top of removing the older decks if they seem obsolete compared to newer efforts  

• By VonS

View File SweetFX Tweak for WOFFue (for Bucksnort SweetFX Package)
      Hello fellow WOFFue flyers,
      Please find included with this post a very small package that includes my SweetFX settings file and d3d8 initialization files - this is a tweak of the settings file located in the JSGME-friendly Bucksnort SweetFX mod. that is/was available for WOFFue (see the relevant thread for WOFFue on the SimHQ forum for more download info. regarding SweetFX ver. 1.5.x and/or Bucksnort's JSGME-friendly patch: https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4580409/re-sweetfx-for-woff-ue-mod#Post4580409).
      Once you've downloaded the Bucksnort package (or SweetFX ver. 1.5.x and made it JSGME-friendly), read the directions included in the "Read Me" file in my package for how/where to copy over my settings file - which should give greater vibrancy, sharpness, and also very subtle bloom in WOFFue. Works particularly well on AMD cards but should work on any graphics card. See the pics. included with this post for a good example of improved grass color, among other things, with the SweetFX tweak.
      Happy flying,
      Von S 
      NOTE: These SweetFX tweaks only work with WOFF (Ultimate Ed.) up to ver. 4.18 or 4.21. The latest patches for the Ultimate Ed. (vers. 4.22, 4.24, etc.) - have changed the way shaders/shader calls work in WOFF - and SweetFX no longer works. SweetFX also doesn't work with the Platinum Ed. and BH&H2. Recommended instead for WOFF vers. 4.22 and later is ReShade and relevant, WOFF/WOTR-friendly ReShade presets.
      DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WOFFue, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.
      Submitter VonS Submitted 06/05/2019 Category Modding Tools and Add-on Software  
    • By VonS
      Hello fellow WOFFue flyers,
      Please find included with this post a very small package that includes my SweetFX settings file and d3d8 initialization files - this is a tweak of the settings file located in the JSGME-friendly Bucksnort SweetFX mod. that is/was available for WOFFue (see the relevant thread for WOFFue on the SimHQ forum for more download info. regarding SweetFX ver. 1.5.x and/or Bucksnort's JSGME-friendly patch: https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4580409/re-sweetfx-for-woff-ue-mod#Post4580409).
      Once you've downloaded the Bucksnort package (or SweetFX ver. 1.5.x and made it JSGME-friendly), read the directions included in the "Read Me" file in my package for how/where to copy over my settings file - which should give greater vibrancy, sharpness, and also very subtle bloom in WOFFue. Works particularly well on AMD cards but should work on any graphics card. See the pics. included with this post for a good example of improved grass color, among other things, with the SweetFX tweak.
      Happy flying,
      Von S 
      NOTE: These SweetFX tweaks only work with WOFF (Ultimate Ed.) up to ver. 4.18 or 4.21. The latest patches for the Ultimate Ed. (vers. 4.22, 4.24, etc.) - have changed the way shaders/shader calls work in WOFF - and SweetFX no longer works. SweetFX also doesn't work with the Platinum Ed. and BH&H2. Recommended instead for WOFF vers. 4.22 and later is ReShade and relevant, WOFF/WOTR-friendly ReShade presets.
      DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WOFFue, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..