Sign in to follow this  
Boresight

Need help - SF Cat file Extractor can't extract file

Hello everyone,

Well I'm having problems for the 1st. time trying to extract a Cat file, on my SF2 merged install.

- I'm trying to extract the file: F-14A_COCKPIT.INI, modded aircraft, from the TMF F-14 Super Pack 1.21.

- I'm using the SF2_Extractor_setup_Apr2012 from the Third Wire site.

- It works well extracting the files from the original aircraft folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects\ObjectData025.CAT

- But, doesn't work with the files from the modded aircraft folder:

C:\Users\Miguel\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic\Objects\Aircraft\F-14A_82

The message I get from the extractor:

" Error opening this .CAT file, no files can be extracted. "

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Boresight

Boresight,

I'm not sure why you'd need to use the .CAT extractor to get the TMF Tomcat's cockpit.ini.  It should be right in the file folder, and if it isn't, your cockpit shouldn't work!  We also didn't include any .CAT files in the Super Pack (this would violate TW's rules), so unless you put the .CAT file there, it shouldn't exist in that folder.  The .CAT extractor is explicitly meant for TW .CAT files.

My next question becomes: what are you trying to do with the cockpit.ini?  If you need to edit it, just use notepad or a similar basic text editor.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Boresight,

I'm not sure why you'd need to use the .CAT extractor to get the TMF Tomcat's cockpit.ini.  It should be right in the file folder, and if it isn't, your cockpit shouldn't work!  We also didn't include any .CAT files in the Super Pack (this would violate TW's rules), so unless you put the .CAT file there, it shouldn't exist in that folder.  The .CAT extractor is explicitly meant for TW .CAT files.

My next question becomes: what are you trying to do with the cockpit.ini?  If you need to edit it, just use notepad or a similar basic text editor.

Hope this helps.

Caesar,

Thank you very much for your prompt help.

I'm just trying to give some more light to the F-14A '82 (for instance) instrument panel, so that when doing night landings aboard the carrier, I can see the gauges better, as in their original state I find difficult to read them at night.

In the past I tweaked with the below parameters at the COCKPIT.INI, with great sucess:

NightLightColor;

- NightLightOn;

- LightRange.

EDIT

I must be out of my mind... or, it was just I was rusty on this stuff.     :grandpa: 

You were absolutely right - all it takes is: open the COCKPIT.INI with the 'notepad' !!!

Only the original Third Wire aircraft need the Cat Extractor !

Thank you again Caesar !

Edited by Boresight

To give an impression on what I was talking, about instrument panel lighting:

Before and after tweaking with the light values.

post-80702-0-76093600-1406943362_thumb.jpg

post-80702-0-60501800-1406943378_thumb.jpg