Sign in to follow this  
RUSTYMORLEY

Best Naval Combat \ Submarine Sims

Okay I just had to follow on from my post about the Best First Person Shooters. So here we go. What are your best Naval Combat or Submarine sims for the PC. Personally speaking I have enjoyed Battlestations Pacific, Silent Hunter 3 and Silent Hunter 4 including the add-on games, and even though they are quite old now I still take them out for a spin on a regular basis. You know the drill, feel free to list your Top Ten games. Fire away!!!!

Naval War: Arctic Circle is well worth playing.

had a search for naval games recently. slim pickings tbh given that i wasn't too much into subs and a big no to arcade stuff. there was a review of Jutland on simhq a few years ago, so took a look into that, but apparently the game has gone fubar. so per some other reco ended up with Steam and Iron. Run the campaign, manage yer fleet, sink the enemy battleships, everything can be modded... aside from the 2D graphics it was really great.

Sub Command and Dangerous Waters, the voice commands gives it tension so think it will leave you fighting for air.

Monkey Island? That was funny.

But to answer the question. Silent Hunter ... by default for me because that is only Navl Sim game I've ever played. What I would really really really really really really really like to play is a game like Battlestations Midway but for the modern navy. People think it would be too easy to just hit a button and launch a missile. But I think there are more tactics involved. Not to mention the deployment of Marines and Navy Seals and subs doing covert ops ... hell or just doing covert ops.

But yeah Silent Hunter Wolves of the Paciific for me. I'ld love to more sims that would allow one to be hands on.

• Like 1

The only naval/underwater sim I ever played was AquaNox1-2, not sure if that classifies by your terms. I did like it although my rig that time was a bit weak for its requirements.

Submarine:   Dangerous Waters   (would be a dream to connect with SF series to conduct ASW)

Modern warship:   Dangerous waters, although it focuses on ASW

Harpoon series (and it's derivatives like Arctic circle)

WW2:    Aces of the deep (maybe Silent hunter series is better, but I played more with that, that time)

Great Naval battles series (old, I know but haven't seen such ever since)

Battlestations series, well not a sim, but the graphics are near perfect... so I have to mention this one too. I could use a read sim/strategy with the same gfx engine!

Im really sorry about Dangerous water being not so modder friendly, I could use that system to make it a decent Harpoon substitute... 

Anyone ever played Fast Attack? It had a cool interface, yet didn´t allow you to peek out like you would do in silent hunter. It was more immersive in some areas, like not being able to use an external view, and using cut scenes and so on, didn´t require much power to look nice. I remember even the mission i was playing on the PC when i heard my parents, startled by an aircraft crash in New York call me just in time to watch live how the second plane hit WTC

I loved Janes Fleet Command and will always have a soft spot for the old Red Storm Rising sub sim game.

Edited by allenjb42

- Silent Hunter III + GWX 3.0, playable surface units & S-Boote mods

- Dangerous Waters + Red Alert mod 1.37

- Naval War : Artic Circle  (Pretty realistic, here you can test that the Kirov-class CGNs represents one true AA and anti-ship menace, but lacks ASW capabilities).

- Silent Hunter IV (well patched, of course)

Silent Hunter V is apart and forms a good bug 'n' lag FPS.

One of two titles here I have never heard of. Thanks for you replies members !!

I started with Harpoon and Harpoon 2. Then I played Aces of the Deep, Seawolf, Carriers at War (ok, not really a sim), a little SH3, and LOTS of Dangerous Waters. I spent a lot of time with the OHP for some reason, not too much with the 60 or P-3, and a bit with the subs.

captured a video of Steam and Iron game play.

keyword for this game... Jutland. and everything else around that event!

Going way back i played quite a lot of Silent Service I and II. In more recent years Silent Hunter was what i was into.

Fast Attack and Red Storm Rising are the best modern submarine sims. If you have a phone or tablet and fancy some WW2 Pacific combat, there is always Pacific Fleet.

• Like 1