lauro rafael

Did you know that? (Google Earth Models to 3ds Max)

Most of those models are created in Google Sketchup.  The community (including myself) has been importing Sketchup models into the SF series for about 5-6 years now.  90% of the Sketchup models require so much work, that one would be better off starting from scratch.

Damn, are there any ethics left anymore...?  Where does the license permit you to rip off Google Earth models?  I hate posts like this that are clearly a violation of legal use, unless someone else can point out otherwise. 

Damn, are there any ethics left anymore...?  Where does the license permit you to rip off Google Earth models?  I hate posts like this that are clearly a violation of legal use, unless someone else can point out otherwise. 

There was no mention of ripping off Google models.  Many (if not most) of those models are available on the Google Sketchup website, along with the contact information of the whichever artist was responsible for it.  I have always sought the artist's permission before making any model available for download, and listed them in the credits if they so desired or demanded it.  Several examples of this include the "old" tanker, the T-80 tank, and the Klingon D-7 (which has yet to be released).

Fubar, my comments aren't directed towards you. 

But showing a technique that uses a ripping tool to freeload Google Earth models I doubt is permissible...LOL...whatever...

Fubar, my comments aren't directed towards you. 

But showing a technique that uses a ripping tool to freeload Google Earth models I doubt is permissible...LOL...whatever...

I realize that they weren't. I simply felt that the OP had not implied simply ripping off models. 

There are actually quite a few videos on Facebook (which BTW, is affiliated with Google), on how to convert Sketchup models into a format that is importable into 3dMax. As long as people simply obey the rules here (the most important one being obtaining permission first), we have no issues with them.

Besides, as I pointed out, it's usually much easier to build simple models such as buildings, from scratch.  I mean, how difficult could creating and exporting what amount to simple cubes and cylinders be?

Edited by Fubar512

I don't see the OP having any merit to stay. The information is available to those that need it or want it. Posting it here serves no purpose but it could be misinterpreted fairly easily. For that reason I'm locking the discussion so it can die a quiet death in the hallowed graves beneath Dave's desk.

Those aren't graves beneath Dave's desk.  Those are eel-lairs.

Eels....ewwwwww......