Sign in to follow this  
matanbar123

Change Aircraft speed

I want to make any aircraft I want to make a 2500kts +, like real.

how I do so ? thanks.

Which particular aircraft does 2500kts in real life?

at 35000 ft  2500KTAS = Mach 4.34!!

Don´t really get your point,very few aircraft are actually capable of reaching 2500kts

AFAIK Flight dinamics setting (in difficulty settings) affect max speed of aircraft, try diferent values until you find one you like. ("hard" is suposed to be the most realistic)

If you simply want overpowered planes you can simply change the "thrust" value in the "engine" section on the"data.ini". If you don´t know how to find this file look at the knowledge base on this forum

Don´t really get your point,very few aircraft are actually capable of reaching 2500kts

AFAIK Flight dinamics setting (in difficulty settings) affect max speed of aircraft, try diferent values until you find one you like. ("hard" is suposed to be the most realistic)

If you simply want overpowered planes you can simply change the "thrust" value in the "engine" section on the"data.ini". If you don´t know how to find this file look at the knowledge base on this forum

I mean to overpowered plane, thanks :)

I mean to overpowered plane, thanks :)

2500kts still a really high speed, even with a masive thrust you probably gonna need to change the aerodinamic values from the airframe. And that seems to be more complicated

Edited by manukar

2500kts still a really high speed, even with a masive thrust you probably gonna need to change the aerodinamic values from the airframe. And that seems to be more complicated

My bad, I mean to 1300 knots, which make plane fly 2500 KILTOMETERS/hour.

I want it to be fast, like wikipedia says it can be :P

data.ini means Planetype.ini ?

and what I need to change. thanks :)

Edited by matanbar123

Which aircraft ???

- it probably already does go that speed but you are not reading the speed correctly

The ingame speed is usually in Indicated Airspeed in Knots

for example at 35,000ft 

1300 kts (True Airspeed) =  971 kts (Indicated Airspeed ) or M2.25

Edited by MigBuster

Which aircraft ???

- it probably already does go that speed but you are not reading the speed correctly

The ingame speed is usually in Indicated Airspeed in Knots

for example at 35,000ft 

1300 kts (True Airspeed) =  971 kts (Indicated Airspeed ) or M2.25

I reach 750 knots with the f-22 raptor, how much its is in the game ?

MB beat me to the KIAS vs KTAS, but another question is: what altitude are you flying at?  Even an aircraft capable of beating Mach 2 cannot do so at Sea Level, 5,000 feet, 10,000 feet, 20,000 feet; many times even 25,000 feet if it is carrying external stores.  For example, the F-14B, an aircraft with an approximate maximum speed of 2.4M (placard 2.34M or 1.88 if you're worried about ramp failure) with 4x AIM-7 and 4x AIM-9 at 25,000 feet will achieve about 1.98M; about .4M below the aircraft's maximum.  An F-16A with 2x AIM-9 will do a bit better than 1.8M at the same altitude, again, below maximum listed speeds.  At sea level, the F-14B maxes at around 1.2M - nowhere near the aircraft's maximum speed at high altitude.

What this boils down to is: Thrust to Drag.  You may have very powerful engines, but your aircraft also has to contend with thick air at lower altitudes, and moving that huge mass through the air generates a good deal of drag.  More stores = more drag, and lower maximum speed overall, but lower altitude and thicker air REALLY put a damper on maximum speed.  As such, most aircraft won't be able to hit their advertised limit until somewhere above 30,000 feet.

MB beat me to the KIAS vs KTAS, but another question is: what altitude are you flying at?  Even an aircraft capable of beating Mach 2 cannot do so at Sea Level, 5,000 feet, 10,000 feet, 20,000 feet; many times even 25,000 feet if it is carrying external stores.  For example, the F-14B, an aircraft with an approximate maximum speed of 2.4M (placard 2.34M or 1.88 if you're worried about ramp failure) with 4x AIM-7 and 4x AIM-9 at 25,000 feet will achieve about 1.98M; about .4M below the aircraft's maximum.  An F-16A with 2x AIM-9 will do a bit better than 1.8M at the same altitude, again, below maximum listed speeds.  At sea level, the F-14B maxes at around 1.2M - nowhere near the aircraft's maximum speed at high altitude.

What this boils down to is: Thrust to Drag.  You may have very powerful engines, but your aircraft also has to contend with thick air at lower altitudes, and moving that huge mass through the air generates a good deal of drag.  More stores = more drag, and lower maximum speed overall, but lower altitude and thicker air REALLY put a damper on maximum speed.  As such, most aircraft won't be able to hit their advertised limit until somewhere above 30,000 feet.

I am playing with a F-16I sufa. when hit to 35,000 feet I am at 325knots, that weird..

I reach 750 knots with the f-22 raptor, how much its is in the game ?

At Sea Level

750 Kts IAS = ~750Kts TAS (M1.13)

At 35,000 ft

750 Kts IAS = ~1067Kts TAS (M1.85)

I am playing with a F-16I sufa. when hit to 35,000 feet I am at 325knots, that weird..

With no stores or pylons?

In level flight (not the best way) a clean F-104A with GE-3 engine takes 4+ minutes to go from M0.9 to M2.0 at 35,000 ft as an example.

• Like 1

At Sea Level

750 Kts IAS = ~750Kts TAS (M1.13)

At 35,000 ft

750 Kts IAS = ~1067Kts TAS (M1.85)

With no stores or pylons?

In level flight (not the best way) a clean F-104A with GE-3 engine takes 4+ minutes to go from M0.9 to M2.0 at 35,000 ft as an example.

So I need to reach with my F-16I sufa to 35,000 and then wait fot it to reach 1000+ knots ?

So, I went ahead and flew an F-16C Block 52 and an F-14B to illustrate.  Here's a shot of the F-16 as I reach 35,000 feet.  Note the difference between the KIAS and KTAS:

img00157.JPG

Now, after waiting for the aircraft to accelerate, you'll notice I've hit my Thrust to Drag limit.  Note that the aircraft is travelling at 2.01M, and the Thrust is less than the Drag; the two will meet as the aircraft tries to accelerate, and the Thrust cannot overcome the Drag.

img00159.JPG

Here's the aircraft at 10,000 feet.  Notice I'm at the T/D limit at a much lower Mach, also the difference between KIAS and KTAS is much lower than at 35,000 feet.

img00162.JPG

Now the F-14B, at 1,600 feet, T/D limit:

img00164.JPG

And at 35,000 feet:

img00166.JPG

Now, here's the F-14 throttled back to display the disparity between KTAS and KIAS at high altitude.  Note, I'm at .94M or 540KTAS, while my KIAS is 299!

img00171.JPG

So, yes, you can reach very high speeds.  Perhaps you need to use more thrust, or wait longer for your aircraft to reach those speeds, but the thing is, it takes even modern fighters MINUTES, not SECONDS to reach their maximum speed, and therefore also takes a LOT of gas to do so.  Stores will affect your top speed due to increased drag as well (as discussed), so if you're trying to zorch around at Mach 2 with tanks, Maverick Missiles, HARMs and AMRAAM, you might not be able to get that fast.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thats a better example than calculating Calibrated airspeeds!

So I need to reach with my F-16I sufa to 35,000 and then wait fot it to reach 1000+ knots ?

~636 Kts Indicated as the second screenshot

Edited by MigBuster

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

"They've gone to plaid"

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

I have a question about drag that occurs while pulling Gs. Sometimes I notice that when I fly with F-4E, I do not see any decrease in my speed when pulling lots of Gs. Could you please tell me how I can get rid of speed drag during high Gs? 

Edited by Falcon1364

The amount of speed you lose when pulling Gs will depend on things including:

Current weight.

Current Attitude.

Current Altitude.

Gs being pulled.

Current Speed.

Throttle position.

Current weapons loadout.

• Thanks 1