• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Erik

Erik

Site Serf

• +OWNER
  • 6,158 Posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:20:10 PM

For the next 24 days we will be running a count down timer on all our pages to show you when the most important vote the FCC will ever make is made. If you haven't heard yet, the cable giants want to charge customers who stream movies, videos, play games, video chat, (basically everything the internet is great at) for faster speeds thereby undermining everything the internet stands for. This means not only do you pay for the speed of service you want at home but you will then have the choice of class of service which will cost more money.

We need you to get involved.

Click the link on the clock and fill out simple information like your name and the app will automatically send your elected officials an email on your behalf. You can read the letter or decide to contact them on your own, but this is something that we can't lose. If we do lose what we know as the open and free internet today will be forever changed. Don't let big business win!

Fight with us to defend net neutrality and all it stands for. If you need to know more watch this video and then click the link in the clock above.

Do it today we're counting on each of you.

• ST0RM, Dave, Brain32 and 3 others like this

signature.jpg
CombatACE . WestCoastATC - 18 years supporting aviation communities.

#2 Dave

Dave

Lunatic At Large

• +FOUNDER
  • U.S. AIR FORCE
  • 25,080 Posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:29:45 PM

http://www.wired.com...-net-neutrality

davebar.jpg

Digital Storm Vanquish II Level 4

3.2GHz Intel Core i5-4570 (4 cores, 6MB cache, w/3.6GHz with Turbo Boost)
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 
16 GB 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM
X3 Samsung 27in monitors
Razer Tartarus Chroma
Razer Black Widow Chroma
Razer Diamondback Chroma
Razer Kraken Chroma
Razer Firefly Chroma

#3 FastCargo

FastCargo

Hi Kitten....

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • 7,901 Posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:49:00 PM

Folks, realize the battle isn't over until the vote is. Keep up the pressure on your local reps.

FC
Posted Image
FastCargo's 3D Works - Made with detail, imagination...and a whole lot of curmudgeonly attitude.

#4 ironroad

ironroad
  • 801 Posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:21:23 AM

Folks, realize the battle isn't over until the vote is. Keep up the pressure on your local reps.

FC

Ditto!

I hope like most modern day "activist" movements for meaningful change this does not loose steam.

Many in this country seem to suffer from some sort of ADD and no one has the patience stick with any issue once it the media coverage stops.

People should would not just focus on US Congressional members and the executive appointment members of the FCC and FTC. They need to get at their state/local representatives in on it because were all the obscure locality rules come from and the taxes.

GYPSY 101

#5 Geezer

Geezer
  • +MODDER
  • 1,187 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:44:54 PM

WASHINGTON — Republican Federal Communications Commission Commissioner Ajit Pai hosted a press conference on Tuesday to discuss with reporters about his concern about President Obama’s proposal “to regulate the internet.” Pai cited concerns ranging from the proposal causing heavy-handed FCC regulations on the internet to the plan being a “gift to trial lawyers.”

TheDC: Previous attempts at regulating the internet have been shot down in the courts, why is it that this one seems to be a little scarier than the last ones?

PAI: Two different reasons. One is the unprecedented involvement of the executive branch in our decision-making.  Traditionally the FCC has been an independent agency that, even though I and the other chairmen are appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate, we’re considered to be independent and render expert objective judgment about some of these difficult policy questions.

Here what you have is the president in an unprecedented way saying explicitly, “Not only do I want the FCC to do XY and Z, but this is the legal theory I want them to use to support it.” I think once that announcement was made, the trajectory of how our decision-making was proceeding, I think the writing was on the wall and the FCC felt like it was under enormous pressure to do what the president wanted us to do. And so that’s one fact.

MORE:  http://dailycaller.c...ecision-making/

#6 FastCargo

FastCargo

Hi Kitten....

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • 7,901 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:00:26 PM

Nice try. They're trying to say this is a power grab.

I'm pretty sure the government would have been happy to have left this alone, if the ISPs hadn't been screwing around.

"Regulate yourselves, or we will do it for you" is a phrase ISPs should have heeded...which brings us where we are today. The dissenting members of the FCC are worried because the momentum is there for it to pass. There are simply too many incidents of ISP f*****y to be ignored, too many incidents of ISPs actively screwing over their customers.

FC
Posted Image
FastCargo's 3D Works - Made with detail, imagination...and a whole lot of curmudgeonly attitude.

#7 Geezer

Geezer
  • +MODDER
  • 1,187 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:50:35 PM

It may not be a case of one or the other.  The heavy handed intervention by the White House in what should be a straight forward administrative decision implies that it's BOTH.

Edited by Geezer, 11 February 2015 - 02:50:49 PM.

#8 Typhoid

Typhoid

Premier Member

• +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 3,638 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:00:55 PM

I've commented on this before and after being told that my opinion was not desired (content blocked?) have held further comment.

But I'll say this once, the proposed regulations are NOT what they are being sold as and this will end up doing the opposite of what many of you think. In effect this will be a massive tax hike on the users, will drive many small ISP's out of business, will stifle innovation and investment, and basically screw over the Internet and all of you.

Be careful what you wish for.

Out.
Real Airplanes and Pilots use Tailhooks

#9 Erik

Erik

Site Serf

• +OWNER
  • 6,158 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:45:18 PM

I've commented on this before and after being told that my opinion was not desired (content blocked?) have held further comment.

But I'll say this once, the proposed regulations are NOT what they are being sold as and this will end up doing the opposite of what many of you think. In effect this will be a massive tax hike on the users, will drive many small ISP's out of business, will stifle innovation and investment, and basically screw over the Internet and all of you.

Be careful what you wish for.

Out.

I certainly have never blocked your content or anyone else's (that wasn't being a troll) for that matter. However this is typical politician rhetoric from a position that is unfounded without fact or references. The real story is nobody will know what the FCC rules will look until they are written and reviewed. The FCC does have legal standing under Title II and the expansion to include the internet based on the regulations they wish to adopt seem a reasonable solution. Everything like this is flawed to some extent but this appears at face value to be a win for the people not big business. Whatever the case it's certainly better than letting congress get a hold of it and attaching tons of pork to it for things like bridges from Florida to Africa. Thanks for your "last words" though.

PS next time you take personal shots at me don't be so vague, it's annoying.

signature.jpg

#10 Typhoid

Typhoid

Premier Member

• +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 3,638 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:52:17 PM

I certainly have never blocked your content or anyone else's (that wasn't being a troll) for that matter. However this is typical politician rhetoric from a position that is unfounded without fact or references. The real story is nobody will know what the FCC rules will look until they are written and reviewed. The FCC does have legal standing under Title II and the expansion to include the internet based on the regulations they wish to adopt seem a reasonable solution. Everything like this is flawed to some extent but this appears at face value to be a win for the people not big business. Whatever the case it's certainly better than letting congress get a hold of it and attaching tons of pork to it for things like bridges from Florida to Africa. Thanks for your "last words" though.

wasn't intended to be annoying but rather humorous. no offense was intended and I will refrain from such in the future.

we'll see on the regs, I think you all are being sold down the river but we'll see what is actually voted in on the 26th. It should be a red flag that less than two weeks out, no one has seen the actual regs. I suppose it has to be passed so we can see what's in it.......

out.

#11 Do335

Do335
  • ELITE MEMBER
  • Political Arena
  • 1,143 Posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:33:37 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...ml?ref=business

GO Team Internet!
  • Dave likes this

#12 Typhoid

Typhoid

Premier Member

• +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 3,638 Posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:15:52 PM

Quick question - does anyone really know what actually is in the proposed regulations which will be passed tomorrow?

thought not........

That should be all of your red flag #1 - they have to pass it before you can see what is atually in it.

#13 Erik

Erik

Site Serf

• +OWNER
  • 6,158 Posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:34:42 PM

There's links to outside journalism reporting on the case starting with Dave's post on February 4, 2015. There's plenty of information on this you should read.

Secondly whatever the FCC does will be challenged in a court of law by the cable companies. So by the time this is done it will be combed through with a fine toothed comb. Seems like good steps in the right direction.

• Dave likes this

signature.jpg

#14 Typhoid

Typhoid

Premier Member

• +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 3,638 Posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:31:26 PM

there is a lot of journalism about what people think might be in the regs, but no link to the actual regs. The minority members of the FCC board have requested that these 323 pages of regs be released, but the chair of the board has steadfastly refused.

yes, the safety valve will be the courts. Hopefully there will be full disclosure and a legal review before this goes into effect.

#15 Geezer

Geezer
  • +MODDER
  • 1,187 Posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:59:47 AM

FCC Chair Refuses to Testify before Congress ahead of Net Neutrality Vote

http://www.nationalr...-andrew-johnson

Soros, Ford shovel $196 million to 'net neutrality' groups, staff to White House

http://www.washingto...article/2560702

Edited by Geezer, 26 February 2015 - 12:15:23 PM.

#16 Dave

Dave

Lunatic At Large

• +FOUNDER
  • U.S. AIR FORCE
  • 25,080 Posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:42:36 PM

http://www.npr.org/b...ay-by-fcc-board

There you go.

davebar.jpg

1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 
16 GB 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM
X3 Samsung 27in monitors
Razer Tartarus Chroma
Razer Black Widow Chroma
Razer Diamondback Chroma
Razer Kraken Chroma
Razer Firefly Chroma

#17 Do335

Do335
  • ELITE MEMBER
  • Political Arena
  • 1,143 Posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:48:56 PM

Am I right to understand there will be a lengthy lawsuit, of cable companies vs. FCC, before the rule is finally in effect?

#18 Spectre8750

Spectre8750
  • +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 767 Posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:29:57 PM

The FCC passed a vote to now regulate (Tax and regulate what can be posted and said on the Internet) by the Government. THIS IS NOT A VICTORY for Freedom on the internet! You've been duped!!!!!!

• Typhoid likes this

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

#19 Dave

Dave

Lunatic At Large

• +FOUNDER
  • U.S. AIR FORCE
  • 25,080 Posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:18:27 PM

The FCC passed a vote to now regulate (Tax and regulate what can be posted and said on the Internet) by the Government. THIS IS NOT A VICTORY for Freedom on the internet! You've been duped!!!!!!

Sorry Spec that is not true. It means that the BS practices of limiting internet service to specific regions, and forcing outrageous prices for those outside of those regions IS OVER. The days of internet companies deciding what sites I can visit based on how much I pay, is OVER. It also means that the ISP's can't charge me more because I use "more Internet" just for using Netflix. Or charge me more because I want to multi-player game. It keeps the ISP's from charging unfair rates to areas that are remote because there isn't enough people in a given area. Just to name a few examples. 

davebar.jpg

1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 
16 GB 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM
X3 Samsung 27in monitors
Razer Tartarus Chroma
Razer Black Widow Chroma
Razer Diamondback Chroma
Razer Kraken Chroma
Razer Firefly Chroma

#20 Skyviper

Skyviper
  • EDITOR
  • Political Arena
  • 1,778 Posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:20:19 PM

My ISP ATT U-verse offers several packages. If I want more speed I have to pay more they press a button and I get it. However in my area ... it's either them or some satellite company that charges damn near 300/month with a limit of watching 2 youtube videos.

ATT would equip my area with stuff other cities were tossing out. We're using everyone else's trash and getting subpar service.

My understanding is that if Comcast got their way they can charge providers say CombatACE monthly fee so CombatACE can provide content in a timely manner. But since Youtube has more money than CombatACE Youtube's services will be faster and CombatACE will be slow as hell. So CombatACE pays the dues to get up to speed but then charges me for the expense on top of  me already paying for subpar internet services.

My thing is that if I have to pay for every site I visit on top of paying for internet. I'll just take my butt back to the stone age.

I could be wrong but that's how I understood things.

qJZSkJm.jpg?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests