Wow.  That is impressive.  Can't wait to play with it.

as long as something is listed in the _types ini, and exists in the GroundObject folder, it works

and yes, it's OUTSTANDING!!!

in the example images below, they'd be almost impossible to build without it...

Wrench, what I did for the trains in my Verdun terrain is I made their GroundObjectRole=TRANSPORT. Of course I had to name everything else that was "TRANSPORT" to something else otherwise a truck would show up on the tracks. Next I created long straight sections of tracks using this editor then set the speed of the train to 10mph ( you want it slow). I then added waypoints in the terrains' Movement.INI under "TRUCK" and set two Route Positions, start and end. No if I fly an Armed_Recon mission there will be a moving train to target. I had to add sound and exhaust to the trains data.ini too. I actually painted all my tracks on terrain tiles. So I used the TFD tool. The tracks need to be level too. so I had to fudge with the HFD as well. Took a little time but was well worth it in the end.

post-33545-0-61985000-1486828203_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-45927100-1486828204_thumb.jpg

post-33545-0-48204000-1486829025_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-35827500-1486829026_thumb.jpg

Edited by quack74
  • Like 18

Quack, that is absolutely a masterpiece - best "train/rail area" I've ever seen in this sim - well done!   :clapping:

It´s so good that it´s hard to believe! If it can be reproduced in SFP series, my favourite mission will be possible - train busting. Reminds me the old EAW. Super quack74!!!

The Target Editor need the game to be installed in order to work? I use the TFD tool without problem on a separate (without SF2 installed) computer, but when I try to use the target editor and I select the terrain.ini file I got nothing, can this be the problem?

Nvr mind.  RTFM.

EDIT:  Holy.  Crap.  This thing is going to change everything.  EVERYTHING.

Edited by PFunk

When placing objects in a Target Area, what was the key stroke to duplicate a selected object? can't find the readme for it.

Quack, that's gorgeous. 

Hi Quack, just a refresher that you had asked about this previously in this thread and I suggested implementing this feature to Mue prior to that.  Anyway, the answer is - that feature doesn't currently exist today.  I know I had been collaborating with Mue and also sent him a proposed features list with detailed requirements including priority rankings.  However, he has been busy with some real life demands, so I am absolutely confident he has this on his list and we had ranked this one highest of priorities.  I'm hoping once he frees up he'll get back to it, so for the time being we'll need to be patient and optimistic that another revision will be here in the near future!  

I've been working with this program a little building some bases. How do you load/place objects that are user made. When I right click then add object the only ones available are the stock objects in the cat file associated with specific SF2 series terrain ie: WOV, WOE, WOI etc. Am I missing a step or are the stock objects the only ones to pick from?

Thanks 

I've been working with this program a little building some bases. How do you load/place objects that are user made. When I right click then add object the only ones available are the stock objects in the cat file associated with specific SF2 series terrain ie: WOV, WOE, WOI etc. Am I missing a step or are the stock objects the only ones to pick from?

Thanks 

Have you added your new objects to the Terrains' Types.INI? the TAE reads the stock objects from the CAT files and from the _Types.INI from the terrain you are using.

For terrain building you have to add the objects directly into the terrains' folder. Make sure you add the .LOD's, .bmp's or tga's for each object. Then add the data to the terrains' Types.INI and make sure they are numbered consecutively.

Edited by quack74

OK - I'll continue with your info/help................Thanks for the quick response quack74, much appreciated. 

Bravo again to mue for this outstanding program

I could have swarn that Mue added the clone key stroke in his latest upgrade. I was using it not that long ago. I just forgot what key stroke was. I cant find it in any readme files. But it was working.

Hello

I started to use this great tool on wrench's Israel 2 map

I have a small porblem and maybe you can help me :

I added to the map a new object : pillbox (I copied the "type" from another map : IsrealMED, as well as the lod, ini,  and bitmap)

The pillbox can be seen on Mue's editor, but they cannot be seen in game.

Do you have any idea where it come from ?

Thank you in advance

Edit : sorry, I found, there was a double definition of the pillbox and I think the first one was "wrong"

Edited by jeanba

Was is a goof in the _types. ini??  I've had that myself.

Also, did you put all the bits INTO the terrain's folder, or are you using it from the /GroundObjects folder??

just curious, as your edit says you fixed it

Hello

I put all the bits in the terrain folder

I replaced the pillbox entry (185) by the text included in MED map (which I knew was working)

Here are the new files in "Israel 2" :

Actually, I am trying to focus on the attrition war :

I renamed bar Lev forts and want to add some egyptian arty battery in front of the forts (and that's where I had the pillbox pb)

is2mod.zip

Edited by jeanba

Awesome quality! good work :good:

This tool is tremendous. Thank you for this, Mue.

Mue,

First off, this is a fantastic tool. Targetizing areas has gotten so much  easier. A question is, how many target areas can the tool count?

I am working on the South China Sea terrain that has over 1100areas but the tool stops at 984 targets.

Kindest regards - Krfrge

The tool should work with up to 999 target areas. I thought target areas can only have 3 digits: from TargetArea001 to TargetArea999  ?

Can you confirm that the game engine can handle more than 999 target areas?

I have not seen any evidence to support the engine can handle more than 999 target areas - but I could still be proven wrong.  For what it's worth, for my dev tools I also program only to 999 max entries Mue.  Even then, depending on the flight engine settings,  object counts that high typically will get cut off anyway not rendering the full desired effect depending on values like maxmesh/model, maxvertexcounts, etc.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:39 PM, mue said:

The tool should work with up to 999 target areas. I thought target areas can only have 3 digits: from TargetArea001 to TargetArea999  ?

Can you confirm that the game engine can handle more than 999 target areas?

Would it be possible, to get it working with SF2 North Atlantic?

On 21.3.2018 at 8:25 AM, Soulfreak said:

Would it be possible, to get it working with SF2 North Atlantic?

Do you mean using more than 999 target areas with SF2NA? I don't know if any of the SF2 games can handle that number of target areas.

I mean, if you could optimize the current version of the target area editor for use with Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic.

Ok, I've put it on my todo list.