Sign in to follow this  
ckelly14

New to SF2- optical munitions

Just started SF2 after playing DCS for some time.  I am interested in a dual role fighter/attack plane and I loaded up the F-18 from the Hornet Team. 

Question about laser guided and optical munitions- do I just load them in the loadout and the MFD's come up when they are active?  Is it as simple as that?

Pretty much, but make sure you have a Targeting Pod loaded as well for the laser weapons of course.

Some planes have laser pods/systems integrated. With others, you have to take the laser pods in the loadout section.

Some planes have laser pods/systems integrated. With others, you have to take the laser pods in the loadout section.

But very few do. F-111F, F-111C Late, A-6E (when equipped with TRAM)

Here's a tutorial I did years ago which is sill relevant given the lack of updates.

Guided Weapons.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks Eric!

I'm flying the the Hornet Team's F/A-18 and don't see an option for ADM-65 (Mavericks).  Does each plane have restrictions to certain weapons and can you override this?

You should be able to mount Mavs on all versions, but it may be your own weaponset as well (or some other reason) but overall with any version I don't have any problems loading them.

You should be able to mount Mavs on all versions, but it may be your own weaponset as well (or some other reason) but overall with any version I don't have any problems loading them.

I downloaded a AGM-65 package from the site so I know that various versions are available in my install (weapons folder), but not showing up as an option on my loadout.  Is the loadout plane specific??

Hmmm... which jet?  Besides it may be year speciic too as they do have set years, so that may be the problem too

Edited by EricJ

Okay cool, so no luck with the Legacy ones and the Mavericks?

In any case these ones should work anyway with all aircraft.

Weapons.7z

Thanks again.  I'm going to stick with your Super Hornet which is working great. 

Gotcha, but they're there in case.

That's because the Navy and Marine Corp only use LMAVs.

Want Optical or IR Guided AGM-65's Fly F-16s.

Edited by CrazyhorseB34

What is the best FLAIR pod to use?  

Game-wise only what it looks like, as they all aren't as fleshed out as say, the A-10C modlue or as manipulative.  Sure there are small minute differences in the screen but if you're expecting anything with DCS-like capabilities it's best to not hope for it.

Edited by EricJ

Thanks guys!

Eric:

ever use your F/A-18 for carrier ops, and how did you do it? Downloading Rends Germany terrain mod, but I assume it would be best to purchase one of the other games (vietnam? NA?) to use the carrier.

Chuck

CK,

The Super Bug is compatible with carriers in the SF2 series, along with the Legacy Bug, Turkey, Scooter, etc.  Carrier ops are most in-depth in SF2:NA, which also gives you the avionics for multi-bandit engagement with active homing missiles (AvionicsF14A.dll).  SF2:V is much more historically immersive.  I'd grab them both if you can afford it.

not enough 'sea room' on the map.

not enough 'sea room' on the map.

Gotcha.  Just downloaded SF2:NA.  Is it as simple as opening the editor, adding a carrier, that selecting it for take off?

Yep, that simple though you'll have to do that through the MIssion Editor though, as scripted missions (with the exception of Vietnam I believe in campaigns) start you on a land base.  I use a Mission Editor so admittedly it's a bit fuzzy with that part.

Eric:

I read your A_G tutorial but I'm only getting my JDAM's to hit the right target 50% of the time.  

Basically, I'm selected the primary target with E and dropping about 6 miles out from 6-8 thousand feet.  Any thoughts?