Is there anyway to guarantee that aircraft will show up on the flightline in an edited mission? For instance, say I wanted to replicate a mission from Desert Storm/Southern Watch/OIF where Iraqi aircraft parked in hardened shelters were hit with precision weapons. Or am I better off just using a hangar as the target and hoping some aircraft will show up on that base's flightline when I or the end user fly the mission?

no guarantee at all. the game engine ™ generates parked aircraft completely randomly, and never where you expect them. they're also generated by the terrain's nations ini, if LimitedNations is set to TRUE, and by the parking allotments in each airfield ini

you cannot target parked aircraft because of this, only 'terrain objects'.

• Thanks 1

This is where a "proper" mission editor would be worth its weight in gold.

• Like 3

This is where a "proper" mission editor would be worth its weight in gold.

Agree 100%!!!

no guarantee at all. the game engine generates parked aircraft completely randomly, and never where you expect them. they're also generated by the terrain's nations ini, if LimitedNations is set to TRUE, and by the parking allotments in each airfield ini

you cannot target parked aircraft because of this, only 'terrain objects'.

That's a shame. I guess I'll have to have the end user use their imagination to pretend the aircraft are in the hangar. Unless I could set up the aircraft as a ground object like parked aircraft in SF1 were? Those were able to be targeted right?

yes but per previous other posts by Wrench, you'd be better off and less frustrated to setting a 100 percent chance of something parking there than placing each and every plane (72 placements if you have the whole wing there at once)

and, not only would you need one of our few remaining 3d Artists to create the static parked aircraft -several dozen different ones no less -, you'd have to plot each and every position, add them to the types and targets ini, and DISABLE the parking statements in all the airfield inis. Simply put, not worth doing.

It's exactly the reverse of what I had to do on all the ww2 terrains -- remove all the statics, and use the newer game generated parked aircraft.

and here's another 'bitch list' item -- I've added parking slots to the center hardstand zone on Runway2s, and they never get populated.

Hangar as the target it is then.

yes but per previous other posts by Wrench, you'd be better off and less frustrated to setting a 100 percent chance of something parking there than placing each and every plane (72 placements if you have the whole wing there at once)

Possible to do that?

uh, yeah.

but why the hell would you WANT to???

i think he meant the 100% chance parking line in hte airfield ini.  at least i hope thats what he meant.

otherwise revert to previous question stated above

btw, using 100% doesn't work. I've tried it <sad face>