Sign in to follow this  
Freude

Plane is entirely black? (Texture Problem)

I installed an F86 sabre pack, and for some reason all the planes are solid black, and I'm assuming it's a texture issue. I don't know what's causing this, as I I'm absolutely positive that I installed it right; putting all the stuff in the Saved Games/StrikeFighers2 folder. Anyone have an idea about what's going on?

1zva1wg.jpg

The problem is that the game engine is not reading the texture file. Why?

The texture is jpg and you are using a version older than april 2012, in that case you must convert the jpgs into bmps

You have put in the wrong place the skin folder , and therefore , the game is not able to find it.

indeed, the skin is either definitely in the wrong place, or a patch level incompatible with the skin format

------------------------------------------

when trying to diagnose an installation issue, it helps to know the following things:

which of the sf2 series (answered)

what patch level

which (name of item) mod

HOW was it installed to the mods folder? (meaning: were the install instructions in the readme followed?)

it can make a big difference in helping people out!! :biggrin:

• Like 1

The problem is that the game engine is not reading the texture file. Why?

The texture is jpg and you are using a version older than april 2012, in that case you must convert the jpgs into bmps

You have put in the wrong place the skin folder , and therefore , the game is not able to find it.

indeed, the skin is either definitely in the wrong place, or a patch level incompatible with the skin format

when trying to diagnose an installation issue, it helps to know the following things:

what patch level

which (name of item) mod

HOW was it installed to the mods folder? (meaning: were the install instructions in the readme followed?)

Where is the skins folder?  :blink:

Where is the skins folder?  :blink:

The skin for an aircraft must be inside the aircraft folder for which the skin is designed, for example:

Strike fighters 2 >> Objects>> Aircraft >> MirageIIIE>> FrenchCamo1

Edited by FRPignon

what patch level

which (name of item) mod

The skin for an aircraft must be inside the aircraft folder for which the skin is designed, for example:

Strike fighters 2 >> Objects>> Aicraft >> Mirage_IIIE>> FrenchCamo1

I just renamed all of the skins from .jpg to .bmp and I updated my game to the latest version.

Mod is "Korean War Era F-86 Sabre Pak"

Instructions in the readme just said to drop all the stuff into the StrikeFighers2 folder and overwrite anything. 

"copy/paste the Objects folder supplied directly =OVER= your existing /Objects folder"

The skins are in the plane folder, i.g. Objects/Aircraft/F-86F/16th [skins are inside the 16th folder]

Unfortunately the planes are still black. Do I need to actually "officially" convert them by putting them into microsoft paint and saving them as bmp's?

Edited by Freude

The best thing you can do now that you have updated the game is erasing the mod and install it again.

The best thing you can do now that you have updated the game is erasing the mod and install it again.

Alright, and I have one last question: I noticed there are all sorts of MIG's in the game, but I can't play as them. I'm wondering if it has to do with expansion packs, but I have them installed. Are they just unplayable to the point that I can only use MIGs that others have made, or is there something that I'm missing?

NO Red Air Aircraft are Player Flyable ™ in any of the SF series, by default.

=============

You might, before you starting modding the games by adding all sorts of things, want to spend time in BOTH the SF1/Wo* Knowledge Base AND the SF2 Knowledge Base.

To answer the question about the MiGs...

http://combatace.com/topic/81131-how-to-make-ai-planes-flyable/

Even more important, play the game in it's STOCK configuration for a few weeks (or months), and get comfortable and familiar with the game itself, and the folder structures.

This is the advice we give to ALL new players. Trust me, in the long run, it's the best way! :)

------------------

As to the Sabres, I can assure you there's nothing wrong with those aircraft. The mod HAS to have been installed incorrectly, somehow.

As FR said, delete the mod and start over.

edit:

forgot to attach the screenshot of the F-86F folder

NO Red Air Aircraft are Player Flyable in any of the SF series, by default.

=============

You might, before you starting modding the games by adding all sorts of things, want to spend time in BOTH the SF1/Wo* Knowledge Base AND the SF2 Knowledge Base.

To answer the question about the MiGs...

http://combatace.com/topic/81131-how-to-make-ai-planes-flyable/

Even more important, play the game in it's STOCK configuration for a few weeks (or months), and get comfortable and familiar with the game itself, and the folder structures.

This is the advice we give to ALL new players. Trust me, in the long run, it's the best way! :)

------------------

As to the Sabres, I can assure you there's nothing wrong with those aircraft. The mod HAS to have been installed incorrectly, somehow.

As FR said, delete the mod and start over.

I reinstalled the mod after updating, and it works! Thanks you all!

I would just install a few MIG aircraft from here, however it seems that most of the MIGS on this site are unique ones for special countries, but I'll give that link a try.

Again, thanks, you guys  :biggrin:

Welcome Freude!

I would recommend you read the SF2 Knowledge Base here on Combat Ace. It can answer most questions and should be your first stop on this site.

But, if you do get stuck feel free to not be shy and ask questions.

To answer your MiG question, They are AI controlled aircraft in stock game. You can fly AI's by modding the aircraft by adding a cockpit. Most AI aircraft are readily flyable if you download and apply the mod.

Good luck man!

if you're gonna fly migs, look for Stary's cockpits for them; they're the best!

and, as always, read the readmes!! Most of the time, he's gotten set up for the 'drag/drop' type of install. And don't be surprised if (at odd intervals, and completely randomly) they revert back to AI. It's a game glitch.

If you get stuck, just shout out; we're here!! :)

I got that "all black problem" with my SR-71s...  ;-P

Welcome at the asylum!

• Like 1

I got that "all black problem" with my SR-71s

my P-61s do that too.  :lmao:

• Like 1

if you're gonna fly migs, look for Stary's cockpits for them; they're the best!

and, as always, read the readmes!! Most of the time, he's gotten set up for the 'drag/drop' type of install. And don't be surprised if (at odd intervals, and completely randomly) they revert back to AI. It's a game glitch.

If you get stuck, just shout out; we're here!! :)

Don't forget the MiG-21 pits by Paladrian.

Recently I had the same problem with a skinpack for spitfires(entirely black aircrafts).

Just a few skins were shown "ingame", most of it was shown in black.

During the installation process I exclude folders with skins that did not interest me (in this case I was only with the IDF skins), without editing the "texture sets" in the .ini file of the aircraft.

After verifying that the files were in the correct formats and yet the problem persisted, I had the idea to look in the .ini.

There I realized that the game does not automatically deleted (or even ignored) the list of texture sets relating to folders that I had previously deleted.

Those few skis that were shown were high on the list of texture sets, those that appeared in black were placed after the entries for the skins of the deleted folders.

I just deleted all texture set entries and started a new game with the aircraft of problematic skins, all skins that were black now appear normally.

The game automatically rebuilds the list of texture sets according to the folders present in the root folder of the aircraft, however it does not edit the same list if a skin folder is removed.

I hope this can help someone.
Please excuse my bad English...
With a great help of the googletranslator. ^^