Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Visibility realism option set?

Thinking in restarting a campaign in a modern 1991+ envinroment with a strike fighter, and wondering If is possible somehow to have a option set that let me:

1- Select the ground targets I want to destroy using "E". Not only the main target, but opportunity targets as well.

2- Not seeing any kind of red square but still being able to padlock the selected target and see If is the objective target (red letters, right lower corner).

Is that possible?

Hi !!!

1- I don't think you can designate targets of opportunity. I've seen some topics about this and a lot of guys tried to find a way to target structures other than primary. They all ended with critic fail...

2- I think I can help with this one. Find HUDDATA in flight folder then try that :

[Display001]
DisplayType=DIRECTOR
ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY
ConeSize=15   <---- switch to 0 if you don't want the cone to appear
BoxSize=0   <---- this might delete the red square
BoxType=SQUARE
BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75
ConeModelName=redcone

• Like 1

About the objects visibility,   each one has a variable fixed in it's data.ini

MaxVisibleDistance=8000.0

this means the object counts as "Visible" by visual detection from 8000 meters. In many cases earlier that with radar...
If you have the red box enabled in difficulty settings (hard removes any marking or direction display - box and cone)  the item can be selected with the (next/prev ground target) key. Or the closest target key I think...

Realism as is, and infantry for example with a 1000 visible distance, is selectable only for a few second while you are passing by. This is why it is so painful not having target marking (FAC) feature...

Also we do not have advanced imaging that would increase the visibility against ground targets.

Having a slow flying helo also improves odds against small ground targets.
  • Like 1

Thanks Evildeadmeat, that improve the realism for my tastes.

Snailman, I think that it can be fine tuned for specific theatres, for example, in modern theatres were weapons like HARM and advanced sensors are more frequent the ground units should be selecteable earlier, to simulate advanced targetting systems. For example, the hability to select a SAM radar at a certain distance to simulate HARM hability for the player aircraft.

Thanks a lot for the tips, very very useful for me!

About the objects visibility,   each one has a variable fixed in it's data.ini

MaxVisibleDistance=8000.0

this means the object counts as "Visible" by visual detection from 8000 meters. In many cases earlier that with radar...

Is possible to make bigger the distance my "E" sensors can detect a ground target? For example I want to detect a SAM system at a longer distance than 8000m so I can use my HARMs on it.

Is possible to make bigger the distance my "E" sensors can detect a ground target? For example I want to detect a SAM system at a longer distance than 8000m so I can use my HARMs on it.

Ah, radars that you cannot detect at the appropriate distance for your HARMs.

The bane of my life...

• Like 1

So I asume is not possible. A real shame for all those ODS and post missions.

You have to edit every ground units and ground objects  MaxVisibleDistance value... because it is specific value for each item.

My problem is the same, as I need to test cruise missile ballistics, but the "Find the in ship view and press - target closest to center" method does not work for me anymore(((

Edited by Snailman

"Find the in ship view and press - target closest to center"

If you're testing your cruise missile in an anti-ship mission, you will have some troubles targeting ships at long range since the primary target pop-up at close range only (something like 15NM). Basically, the targets show up when you reach the ingress waypoint.

"Find the in ship view and press - target closest to center"

If you're testing your cruise missile in an anti-ship mission, you will have some troubles targeting ships at long range since the primary target pop-up at close range only (something like 15NM). Basically, the targets show up when you reach the ingress waypoint.

Normally yes, because ships have usually Maxvisiblerange 20000-30000.

There was a method, when you have found the ship in the ship view, cycling F7, then you could target the ship with the "target closest to center" key... and it remained targetted when you switched back to cockpit. Not anymore though... at least for me.

Sometimes even planes like B-52 can be targeted from 40-50km, but how, I don't know.

But,  damn,  you gave me an idea of making a test target ship with 500000 visible range.

Edited by Snailman

Normally yes, because ships have usually Maxvisiblerange 20000-30000.

There was a method, when you have found the ship in the ship view, cycling F7, then you could target the ship with the "target closest to center" key... and it remained targetted when you switched back to cockpit. Not anymore though... at least for me.

Sometimes even planes like B-52 can be targeted from 40-50km, but how, I don't know.

But,  damn,  you gave me an idea of making a test target ship with 500000 visible range.

Good idea. Let me know if it works for you.

Any luck with that Snail? I will try to set the ingress point farther away to see If I can lock enemy earlier.

Of course, if was successful)

Well I had some bad ASM behaviour (lofted ballistic related), and bad flight control - but since both the Tu-22 both the Kh-22 was stock, it was expected.

Note, that AI pilot could also fire.

post-81039-0-91285600-1438887782_thumb.jpg

post-81039-0-68129300-1438887793_thumb.jpg

post-81039-0-85284100-1438887802_thumb.jpg

post-81039-0-04573900-1438887812_thumb.jpg

• Like 1