Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

Why do weapons in Loadout.ini not default?

F-22 Raptor, loadout screen, Strike Mission: The weapon bays are empty, so I can manually fill them with goodies like GBU-10C, or JSOW.

I think: wouldn't it be nice to have them already pre-loaded whenever I choose a Strike Mission?

So I go into the Loadout.ini, which supposedly sets up default loadouts and under , I add GBU-10C to the weapon bay. I save it, and exit.

I go into the, loadout screen, Strike Mission, and the weapon bay that I wanted to have a default GBU-10C in, is empty. Yet I can still manually install 4x GBU-10C weapons.

So why does the game ignore the loadout.ini defaults?

I looked in the Knowledge base, but couldn't find the answer.

Thanks

Hey. You can edit the weaponsdata.ini without any problems, but you then have to open it and save it with the weapons editor so it can create weaponsdata.dat for it to take effect in-game. The game only recognises the weaponsdata.dat, not the .ini file. For just about everything else, it recognises the .ini format, just not for the weapons. The .ini format just makes it a hell of a lot easier to mod/add large numbers of weapons at a time (the editor only allows you to do it individually).

Also, the game doesn't ignore the loadout.ini defaults. If your LGBs aren't showing up, it means the loadout.ini can't find them. The loadout.ini is good in that it's pretty straight forward: it usually works or it doesn't, and it's easy to determine this as soon as you enter the game. Other aspects of the game can be pretty ambiguous... :search:

Edited by SayWhatt

Thank you, but I don't think the problem is with the Weaponsdata.ini. I do know how to use that.

I'm not trying to add a weapon that doesn't already exist. The weapon does exist because I can use it in the loadout screen.

At the left in the F-22 list of weapons, I can clearly see GBU-10C/B Paveway II. I can even add it to some of the aircraft stations.

But if I put the correct name of the weapon (GBU-10) in the Loadout.ini, under , and I select a Strike mission, in the Loadout screen, the bay is empty.

I know the weapon exists because it is the weapon listed in the F-117 aircraft loadout.ini as GBU-10C, and when you  go to the Loadout screen, there it is already loaded up.

The F-22 can see the AA missiles from the list, however:

Originally it had a default of AIM-9x in the Loadout.ini, but in the wrong year the weapon wasn't available so it wasn't loaded, nor was it on the left-hand panel of available weapons.

So I changed it to AIM9-M in the Loadout,ini, and voila!!! There it was in the weapons bay by default.

I looked up the knowledge base with all those Russian plane examples, and it seemed pretty straightforward. I just can't figure why the F-22 is being so stubborn.

Okay, I finally got it.

It's the difference between Weapon and Missile.

I should have put the GBU-10C in the missile bay, not the weapon bay in the Loadout.ini.

I mistakenly thought a Bomb was a weapon, rather than a missile. All fixed.

BTW do I really need a Loadout.ini which is a QMD, and a Loadout, which is a configuration setting? They both come in the F-22 folder, and carry the same loadout information.

Edited by alexis99

toss the QMD. it does nothing

you WILL need the loadout.ini. that's kinda required

also, when editing the loadout ini make sure you use the type name, NOT the actually weapon name

[WeaponData001]
TypeName=GBU-12E   <-----------------------------------------THIS ONE
FullName=GBU-12E/B Paveway IV LGB
ModelName=GBU12_P4
Mass=245.000000
Diameter=0.270000
Length=1.769000
SubsonicDragCoeff=0.120000
SupersonicDragCoeff=0.462000
AttachmentType=NATO,USN
SpecificStationCode=
NationName=USAF,USN,USMC,ISRAEL
StartYear=2005

also, that the weapon station in the data in is "speced" for that weapon type.

Thanks Wrench, I usually copy the name of the weapon from the loadout.inis of other working aircraft. But I'll make a note of that rule.

My mistake in the F-22 was that the weapon station was not specced for the GBU-10C, but the missile station was.

I also found another interesting curiosity in the F-22 loadout.ini; if you have the wing tank on a weapon rack, it overrides the missile you are trying to hang on the missile rack. This seems to be because the weapon rack and missile rack occupy the same space.

Once you get your head around that, it all falls into place.