Sign in to follow this  

Hello, how do modders create new aircraft for WOV/SF1 including the accurate 3d models and camo textures and which program do they use to create aircraft?

Edited by combatacepilot

Hello, how do modders create new aircraft for WOV/SF1 including the accurate 3d models and camo textures and which program do they use to create aircraft?

You will need a 3D model program to make aircraft, and a paint program to make textures/artwork.  The really capable programs used by professionals, such as 3dsMax (or Maya) and Photoshop (or PaintShopPro), are expensive. 

However, old "obsolete" editions are fairly cheap when you can find them, and will work fine for making TW stuff.  There are also free equivalents available, but I have never used them so I don't know much about them.  You can generally find how-to-do-it tutorials on the internet, and guys here at Combat Ace will usually help if you have questions.  Good luck!

Free 3D model program:   https://www.blender.org/

Free paint program:  http://www.gimp.org/

Edited by Geezer

unfortunately, the 3rd Wire exporter, that creates the game usable lod (the physical model) only works with 3ds MAX. If created in, say Blender, the exported file must be in a format that 3ds MAX can read, and all the little fiddly bits (animations, mapings, etc) will most likely need to be completely redone when imported into MAX.

So, in essence, without MAX, one is wasting their time. It's been attempted in the past, and the end result is the model winds up having to be nearly completely redone.

for the skinning (after unwrapping) any decent image program can be used, but photoshop is still the best.

Has any modder created aircraft in blender or a non 3ds max program and successfully used  in flightsims then?

Also is there a tutorial for creating realistic camo schemes/skins for aircrafts?

Edited by combatacepilot

Has any modder created aircraft in blender or a non 3ds max program and successfully used  in flightsims then

not for any of the 3W games

simmerspaintshop.com should have skinning tutorials

basically, skinning is a lot of trial and error

I would like to begin learn to design models 3D but 

1º Zmodeler works for create models 3D on SF1 only for GTA ?

2º parts mobiles is possible make in 3D models for simulator with 3DMAX ?

for these games (SF/FE/SF2/FE2) only 3dsMax, with the specific 3rd Wire exporter can be used

for other games ?who knows?

• Like 1

for these games (SF/FE/SF2/FE2) only 3dsMax, with the specific 3rd Wire exporter can be used

for other games ?who knows?

Interesting, good thing !, I have the 3D MAX 9 and I wanted not install it because I had read that he could not work with files .LOD .. I thought that 3DMax cannot import and export .LOD Files. !

you can't import a finished lod. once its exported, it's done and locked

you can only edit the ***.max file