Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

WOFF Screenshot of the Month, July - 'Meet the Fokkers!'

Strikefighters players at CombatAce have long had a 'Screenshot of the Month' thread, which showcases the many visual delights of Thirdwire's classic and prolific jet age combat flight sim. So, I thought to myself, maybe it's time we also had such a platform for the many and no less photogenic aircraft and settings of Wings Over Flanders Fields. What say you, shall we try this and see how it goes?

There's no rules, save that your screenshot must be taken in Wings over Flanders Fields (not OFF, please) with no post-capture editing or enhancement allowed, except cropping - we want to showcase the sim and the enjoyment we get from it, not our photo-editing skills. There's no prize and no formal winner will be declared, though visitors are encouraged to vote after a fashion by 'Liking' one or more of any screenshots they particularly fancy.

For the first thread, July 2016, the theme is 'Meet the Fokkers!' - aircraft designed by Anthony Fokker, of which there's a good few in this sim. So, what are you waiting for? Switches off, petrol on, and 'get some in'!

Shot06-25-16-22-48-33.jpg

"Meet the Fokkers". I love it. Just a sec...let me get my helmet and gloves.

Haha - wasn't that a film with Dustin Hofman? Which plane is he flying? :grin:

Here we go: one of the easiest planes to take a good picture of. (second only to the Albatros.)

Shot07-15.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee
  • Like 1

33LIMA: I'm taking the 'Fokker Request' to mean any Fokker and not just the D.VII. This Dr.1 is "The Yellow KId". Assuming that a flashy paint job is an invitation to come up and fight, I adopted the Yellow Kid as a mascot since the Kid is irreverent by his nature, and, to my eye, yellow is the color that can be seen at the longest distance.

THE YELLOW KID.jpg

• Like 1

LoL! Fair enough, Hauksbee, there's nothing in the rules against fictional markings...but please tell me no real pilot flew that kite!!! It does look rather good, though, even if I almost hate to admit it!

As if the Red Baron/le Petit Rouge wasn't bad enough...the RFC/RAF now has to contend with the Yellow Kid!!!

Haha - wasn't that a film with Dustin Hofman? Which plane is he flying? :grin:

The Dustin Flugzeug Werke C.V?

...but please tell me no real pilot flew that kite!!! It does look rather good, though, even if I almost hate to admit it!

Only flown by me. It does seem to be staggeringly effective against Allied fighters. There's a "WTF? Effect" that throws off their aim.

Edited by Hauksbee

Is that an American comic figure, the "Yellow Kid"?

Yellow looks good on the Dr.I !

Is that an American comic figure, the "Yellow Kid"? Yellow looks good on the Dr.I !

Yes, that's the same 'Kid'. He ran in Joseph Pulitzers New York World from 1895 to 1898, and later in William Randolph Heart's San Francisco Examiner. That a bit before WWI, but everybody knew the Kid. (Calvin and Hobbs hasn't been in print for over 10 years) So I figured he'd still be current in the minds of WWI pilots. An all-yellow Dr.1 is very much out of character...but it is bold.

When are you going to post a Fokker for us, Olham? Or are there only Albatros's in you portfolio?

...are there only Albatros's in you portfolio?

Yes, I almost only make Albatros skins, and I fly WW1 sims only because of that aircraft.

It's all for the looks of it!

The Dr.I, or the Fokker D.VII are ugly compared to her.

I KNOW they were better fighters - but I'm only in it for the looks.

Kinda "vanity-war"... :boast: Beat them with beauty!

Edited by Olham

I admire your dedication; the Alb certainly is the "Glamour Girl" of WWI. (If you can't overwhelm them with firepower, dazzle them with beauty!)

Not a lot of people know this, but Anthony Fokker used up so many wings building triplanes, that by the war's end he had a serious shortage. In fact the next design on his drawing board after the Fokker E.V/D.VIII illustrated below was for very fast, rotary-engined, propeller-driven tricycle... :biggrin:

Shot07-16-16-21-22-39.jpg

Not a lot of people know this, but Anthony Fokker used up so many wings building triplanes, that by the war's end he had a serious shortage. In fact the next design on his drawing board after the Fokker E.V/D.VIII illustrated below was for very fast, rotary-engined, propeller-driven tricycle.

(?) Wings, per se, are not a commodity. Wood is. Are you saying that Fokker drove Germany into a wood shortage?

(?) A tricycle Fokker? Do you have a pic?

Hauksbee, I guess LIMA made a joke. Triplane used so many wings, that a monoplane had to follow. Get it?

I admire your dedication; the Alb certainly is the "Glamour Girl" of WWI. (If you can't overwhelm them with firepower, dazzle them with beauty!)

Oh, the firepower of my girl is not what I'm worried about.

But she isn't the best dancer in the competition, with her German temper... :dance2:

Edited by Olham

Hauksbee, I guess LIMA made a joke. Triplane used so many wings, that a monoplane had to follow. Get it?

I waz always a little slower than the rest of the children.

Well, as a kid, she didn't perform bad at all - she could always compete with the others.

Then she grew older, but didn't get stronger. Her beauty still increased, though!

A Winter Eindecker on a hot summer day. Let's see those pictures, guys. I'm running out of Fokkers.)

EINDECKER-1.jpg

Yes come on chaps, get posting! Doesn't have to be a different type of Fokker each time, there are plenty of different colour schemes available, especially now that the skin pack is free...here's Josef Mai's Fokker D.VIIf

Shot07-18-16-23-40-37.jpg

I should know this, but who flew the aircraft with the insignia LO!  Was it Udet? 

To answer my own question, yes it was Ernst Udet. 

That'll cost you a Fokker pic.

Haha, that sounds like you also played those picture quartet games in America, Hauksbee?

Yes, Udet had a fiancée named Eleonore - he nicknamed her "Lo". (He was always a bit short, wasn't he?)

"LO" was written on all his Jasta 37 Albatros D.V, the Fokker D.VII and also on the Siemens-Schuckert D.III or D.IV

(not sure which one he flew).

But you guys wanted Fokker pics.

udet-du-doch-nicht.jpg   Udet_profile.jpg

Edited by Olham

Here y' go: Ernst Udet and Elenore Zink. The marriage lasted about four years due to Ernst's 'party-animal' habits.

Capture90879654.JPG

Women - they want a hero, and when they get one, they don't like his habits! Tch!

I'm sure it didn't help that he was a compulsive skirt-chaser, and he quickly got fat and bald.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I was wondering how to customize the numbers after your callsigns, since it always gives me the same ones.
      I think i managed somehow once, a bit of time ago, but now i forgot and have no idea how to.
      I'm not talking about how to customize the callsign name, but the unit number after it.
      As you can see in the Roster and in the picture under, i get "Fast Eagle 1-1" and "Fast Eagle 1-2"
      Here are some examples:

The numbers on the tail, wing and nose numbers are customized, cause i managed how to change them, choosing them individually for each unit in the mission file by changing "AircraftNumber=" and typing the number, like "2" (as for 202). It doesn't change by typing the whole number tho, like 202 by typing 202, but it goes by typing the number that corresponds to the list of numbers you have. For example, In a list that goes from 200 to 400, you will have to type 10 to get 300. Here i just typed "2" and "7" since the list starts from 200

IIRC, in the past i just used to type the Aircaft number just like that, and in-game i had the proper number after the callsign, like "Fast Eagle 102", not just the number displayed on the plane livery.
      How do i do? I'm pretty sure that it's possible to have "Fast Eagle 102" on my screen HUD and in the Roster
      Thanks in advance for helping me.

• By VonS

View File FM Tweaks for WoFFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR1&2 (Consolidated)
      Hello fellow fliers of W0FFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR1&2,
      Please find included in this FM tweaks "consolidated" package various folders that contain more than 50 FM mods in total for the UE/PE-era of WoFF, as well as an upgraded package for the BH&H2 ver. of WoFF, and a few FM modifications for Phases One and Two of WoTR. Check over the included Read Me files for more details and info.
      Cheers,
      Von S

DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WoFFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR, and RoF United, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.
      Submitter VonS Submitted 08/08/2018 Category Modding Tools and Add-on Software  
    • By VonS
      Hello fellow fliers of W0FFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR1&2,
      Please find included in this FM tweaks "consolidated" package various folders that contain more than 50 FM mods in total for the UE/PE-era of WoFF, as well as an upgraded package for the BH&H2 ver. of WoFF, and a few FM modifications for Phases One and Two of WoTR. Check over the included Read Me files for more details and info.
      Cheers,
      Von S

DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WoFFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR, and RoF United, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.
    • By 76.IAP-Blackbird
      Dear Friends,
      This year we have already released two previously announced Collector Planes. Today we would like to share plans for the future aircraft.
      In addition to the already released Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIVe Bubbletop and Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 A/S, the plan for this year includes:
      1. Li-2 - Soviet military transport aircraft. Unlike the original C-47 (Li-2 was based on it under license), it was also used as a bomber and had an optional turret and even forward firing weaponry. The planned release date is Summer 2023.

2. American towable glider (!) WACO CG-4A, which has been widely used during the Normandy landings. The planned release date is Fall 2023.

3. Soviet fighter La-5 series 38 with a teardrop-shaped canopy. Its lighter design had a positive effect on the characteristics of the aircraft compared to earlier models. The planned release date is Fall 2023.

4. Romanian fighter IAR-80/81 in two basic variants («long» and «short»). Both variants and 7 modifications of the aircraft are described in detail in DD #334. The planned release date is the end of 2023.

Please note: since this Collector Plane will be effectively two significantly different aircraft (different fuselages, different flight characteristics, different paint scheme kits, there are differences in their cockpits as well) in one package, its pre-order price will increase on May 17th to the level of larger Collector Planes like C-47. Of course, the pre-orders placed before this date won’t be affected by this change, so if you’re interested in getting these aircraft eventually, please consider doing so before May 17th.
      5. The development of three new fighters scheduled for 2024 has begun:
      German interceptor Focke-Wulf Ta 152 Soviet legendary biplane Polikarpov I-153 «Chaika» British fighter Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc armed with 7.69 mm machine guns and a different tail.
      6. By the end of 2023, it is planned to complete the development of the Flying Circus Vol.III which will include eight aircraft:
      F.E.2b R.E.8 Hanriot HD.1 Nieuport 11.C1 Nieuport 17.C1 Nieuport 17.C1 GBR Albatros D.II Halberstadt D.II

It is also planned to complete the Western Front 1918 map and populate the entire front line with objects. This updated version of the map will be available in different seasons.
      7. The story of Flying Circus continues: plans for 2024 include additional improvements to the map and the development of seven new collectible aircraft:
      Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter B Sopwith Pup Airco DH.2 Albatros D.III Roland C.IIa Fokker E.III

8. We’re also helping a team of enthusiasts who are working on a new map of one of the theaters of operations on the Eastern Front. A significant progress has been made - we hope that the map will become part of the Great Battles game world soon. The details about the map and the development team will be revealed later.
      Since the Battle of Normandy release, 9 World War II aircraft, 15 World War I aircraft and two maps have already been produced or are in development. And that's not all! Your support motivates us to improve and extend the Great Battles series.
      A new historical campaign is in the final stage of development - it is dedicated to the operation of Yak-7 fighter armed units. This year we plan to release another campaign and there are ideas for creating three new campaigns already.
      In addition, this year we’re updating a number of previously created campaigns to integrate new technologies and content developed recently (you can see the Tank Crew campaigns being updated in the screenshots below).

The 1C Game Studios team wishes you good luck and aerial victories in the virtual sky! Congratulations on the upcoming Victory Day!
    • By VonS

View File SweetFX Tweak for WOFFue (for Bucksnort SweetFX Package)
      Hello fellow WOFFue flyers,
      Please find included with this post a very small package that includes my SweetFX settings file and d3d8 initialization files - this is a tweak of the settings file located in the JSGME-friendly Bucksnort SweetFX mod. that is/was available for WOFFue (see the relevant thread for WOFFue on the SimHQ forum for more download info. regarding SweetFX ver. 1.5.x and/or Bucksnort's JSGME-friendly patch: https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4580409/re-sweetfx-for-woff-ue-mod#Post4580409).
      Once you've downloaded the Bucksnort package (or SweetFX ver. 1.5.x and made it JSGME-friendly), read the directions included in the "Read Me" file in my package for how/where to copy over my settings file - which should give greater vibrancy, sharpness, and also very subtle bloom in WOFFue. Works particularly well on AMD cards but should work on any graphics card. See the pics. included with this post for a good example of improved grass color, among other things, with the SweetFX tweak.
      Happy flying,
      Von S 
      NOTE: These SweetFX tweaks only work with WOFF (Ultimate Ed.) up to ver. 4.18 or 4.21. The latest patches for the Ultimate Ed. (vers. 4.22, 4.24, etc.) - have changed the way shaders/shader calls work in WOFF - and SweetFX no longer works. SweetFX also doesn't work with the Platinum Ed. and BH&H2. Recommended instead for WOFF vers. 4.22 and later is ReShade and relevant, WOFF/WOTR-friendly ReShade presets.
      DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WOFFue, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.
      Submitter VonS Submitted 06/05/2019 Category Modding Tools and Add-on Software  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..