Battle of the Bulge Terrain [maybe]

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 baffmeister

baffmeister
  • +MODDER
  • 741 Posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:54:24 AM

Say good-bye to the "GDE CommBuilding" for this project. Instead, you will get to blow up some "GDGL CommTrucks!"  [Gosh Darn Good Looking]

Clunks 1
Clunkity-clunk, clunk, clunk...............
The greatest CF-100 movie ever made is here: https://www.nfb.ca/f...das_air_defence

#22 baffmeister

baffmeister
  • +MODDER
  • 741 Posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:59:49 PM

Took awhile to get all the new building objects sorted out but now the town construction is picking up speed.

The twin town of Krinkelt-Rocherath with the American strong point of Elsenborn Ridge on the horizon to the west. The small church in between marks the location for the town of Wirtzfeld.

Krinkelt-Rocherath.jpg

Edited by baffmeister, 02 March 2017 - 10:06:04 PM.

• krfrge, Eole, Geezer and 1 other like this
Clunks 1
The greatest CF-100 movie ever made is here: https://www.nfb.ca/f...das_air_defence

#23 baffmeister

baffmeister
  • +MODDER
  • 741 Posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:45:25 PM

Geezers new US command/communications truck installed in Monschau.

US Comm-2.jpg

And here's Monschau.

Monschau-2.jpg

I check the internet for photos of the various towns to try and get a rough idea of size and shape but can't always find anything useful. The real Monschau appears to have a river running through it. [but don't mention rivers]

• Sundowner, jeanba, krfrge and 5 others like this
Clunks 1

#24 wiki

wiki
  • 81 Posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:57:50 AM

wow! you guys rock !!

#25 Geezer

Geezer
  • +MODDER
  • 1,137 Posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:55:47 AM

Shot of the nearly finished Bulge ground objects.  I'll be wrapping up the last couple of vehicles soon, and then get back to my SCW stuff.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Wrench, whiteknight06604, baffmeister and 3 others like this

#26 Wrench

Wrench

Known As Bob.

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Political Arena
  • 21,579 Posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:56:48 PM

freeking awesome stuff Geezer! 

Terraformer Extraordinaire
Making the Game Look Like the Real World ™ Since 2007
"We are the Princes of the Ini-verse"
"A little bit of something, is better than a whole lot of nothing"

Dat banned achievment

#27 KJakker

KJakker
  • +PREMIER MEMBER
  • 886 Posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:56:50 PM

If you need help doing online searches for photos I would be happy to help.

Ground Object Data.INI Guru.

post-1-0-01188100-1454270327.gif

#28 Geezer

Geezer
  • +MODDER
  • 1,137 Posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:05:42 PM

If you need help doing online searches for photos I would be happy to help.

I might take you up on that.  Stephen1918 and I have begun a series of Spanish Civil War aircraft and ground objects.  There is still much research to do for artillery, AA guns, etc.

Attached Images

• Composite-14.jpg

• Sundowner, whiteknight06604, baffmeister and 2 others like this

#29 Sundowner

Sundowner

Sod Simming, get a LIFE!!!

• +MODDER
  • 1,612 Posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:14:22 PM

Might be something useful here.....
http://histomil.com/...0389b13a3c96ee5

Or for any other era too.
  • Geezer likes this
"Remember that its only a game, you don't really die if you crash or get shot down.".......well said that man.

Posted Image

#30 Geezer

Geezer
  • +MODDER
  • 1,137 Posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:59:24 PM

Might be something useful here.....
http://histomil.com/...0389b13a3c96ee5

Or for any other era too.

I checked out the site, and its going to be very helpful.  Thanks!

#31 KJakker

KJakker
  • +PREMIER MEMBER
  • 886 Posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:17:27 PM

Here are photos of Noville, Belgium...

Noville_Belgium.jpg

Manhay, Belgium...

Manhay Crossroads.jpg

Stolzembourg, Luxembourg...

Stolzembourg,_Luxembourg.jpg

Edit:

St. Vith, Belgium...

St._Vith,_Belgium.jpg

Edit2:

Losheimergraben, Belgium.

Losheimergraben, Belgium.jpg

Edit3:

Bastogne, Belgium.

Bastogne.jpg

I should have more for you tomorrow. 

Edited by KJakker, 12 March 2017 - 09:46:01 PM.

• baffmeister, Eole and Geezer like this

#32 KJakker

KJakker
  • +PREMIER MEMBER
  • 886 Posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:49:09 PM

Clerf, Belgium

Clerf, Belgium.jpg

Esch-sur-Sure, Belgium

Esch-sur-Sure, Belgium.jpg

Heiderscheidgrund Bridge Belgium

Heiderscheidgrund Bridge Belgium.jpg

Ouren, Belgium

Ouren,_Belgium.jpg

Ouren.jpg

Clervaux, Luxembourg

Clervaux,_Luxembourg.jpg

Wiltz, Luxembourg

Wiltz,_Luxembourg.jpg

Edited by KJakker, 13 March 2017 - 08:49:46 PM.

• baffmeister likes this

#33 baffmeister

baffmeister
  • +MODDER
  • 741 Posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:59:44 AM

I've actually seen all those town photos but unfortunately, the stock TW Euro terrain doesn't have enough terrain details to make very convincing town sites possible. None of the rivers that were involved in the Battle of the Bulge are modeled, the area covered in forest is far less than in real life, the stock height contours don't seem very accurate, and the towns have to be built on whatever tiles happen to be in the area. Also, some of the towns that have actual period photos I haven't even included in the terrain because I have to simplify things quite a bit for a campaign. Best I can do is replicate some town shapes and sizes to a certain extent. The locations aren't very realistic either, with locations being very relativistic and some further apart than real life, done to hopefully avoid some potential campaign issues. A new terrain would have been nice but would have taken years instead of months to complete.

However, I have been keeping a close eye on the Europe-Total War terrain as a possible candidate for a Battle of the Bulge re-work at some point. From the map screens, it looks like it may have at least some of the rivers included, as well as winter tiles and better height mapping. Time will tell!

• whiteknight06604 and Geezer like this
Clunks 1

#34 whiteknight06604

whiteknight06604

state of decay

• +MODDER
  • 3,948 Posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:12:56 PM

I've actually seen all those town photos but unfortunately, the stock TW Euro terrain doesn't have enough terrain details to make very convincing town sites possible. None of the rivers that were involved in the Battle of the Bulge are modeled, the area covered in forest is far less than in real life, the stock height contours don't seem very accurate, and the towns have to be built on whatever tiles happen to be in the area. Also, some of the towns that have actual period photos I haven't even included in the terrain because I have to simplify things quite a bit for a campaign. Best I can do is replicate some town shapes and sizes to a certain extent. The locations aren't very realistic either, with locations being very relativistic and some further apart than real life, done to hopefully avoid some potential campaign issues. A new terrain would have been nice but would have taken years instead of months to complete.

However, I have been keeping a close eye on the Europe-Total War terrain as a possible candidate for a Battle of the Bulge re-work at some point. From the map screens, it looks like it may have at least some of the rivers included, as well as winter tiles and better height mapping. Time will tell!

one can only do their best with the tools they have available. I'm sure in the end it will be glorious if not an exact replica. thank you for the work you are putting into this and the research and details you are putting into the terrain given the games limitations.

• baffmeister and Silberpfeil like this
Some ideas are so preposterous that only an intellectual could believe them. -- Orwell

This seems very true these days

#35 baffmeister

baffmeister
  • +MODDER
  • 741 Posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:56:52 PM

Vianden, in Luxembourg, is on a river and doesn't actually look like this but there is a quite large castle nearby so I get to use one of ThirdWires better looking objects.

Vianden-1.jpg

Getting more German AAA in place with some 88mm and 20mm quads visible. Also a half track with a single 20mm and another half track with just a single machine gun.

The large Wingwiner building to the left of the church I usually use as a hotel but in this case, it's a local HQ building. [and a target.]

• jeanba, whiteknight06604, Geezer and 1 other like this
Clunks 1

#36 Geezer

Geezer
  • +MODDER
  • 1,137 Posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:03:51 AM

Working the Panzer4 now.  When complete, that will be a wrap for Bulge stuff.

Attached Images

• test-47.jpg

• Wrench, whiteknight06604, baffmeister and 2 others like this

#37 baffmeister

baffmeister
  • +MODDER
  • 741 Posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:32:00 PM

Back to Bastonge. With the object count at 200 and more vehicle objects desired this is probably as good as it gets.

Bastonge-3.jpg

Some towns are more or less impossible to model and they get the impressionistic approach. Echternach is on the Sauer river and has a big four steeple church with another twin steeple church nearby as well as some old monastery buildings and some old city walls. Without the Sauer river it's a bit pointless to spend a lot of time on the town so I just threw a bunch of objects together and moved along.

Echternach-1.jpg

• jeanba, whiteknight06604, krfrge and 3 others like this
Clunks 1

#38 Stary

Stary

"magnificent B@stard"

• +MODDER
  • Political Arena
  • 8,213 Posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:34:33 PM

WOW

• baffmeister likes this

Drama Queen on occasion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests