I tried the SF2: Israel vanilla map with no joy, (it stops just south of Homs, almost on Lebanon north border, leaving all the Syrian med coast out), and also tried to search for other maps here with no luck. But before giving up I will ask here.

Do we have any map that cover the Syrian med coast and north of the country? Will be a cool map for Russian intervention and maybe Russo/Israel clashes.

Thanks.

I dont think, that we have a map that covered this special part of Syria.

This is Israel 2 map:

post-3395-0-48652000-1482938347.jpg

The areas of interest are to close to the border of the map or outside the map.

So a completly new map must be made.

• Like 1

I dont think, that we have a map that covered this special part of Syria.

This is Israel 2 map:

attachicon.gifPlanningmap1.jpg

The areas of interest are to close to the border of the map or outside the map.

So a completly new map must be made.

Thanks Gepard, this map is sooo close to the needed area but still not available for the current conflict. Anyway thanks for the help, really apreciatted.

IIRC there was a map Anatolia or so. Perhaps this could be ....

one would need to create a *_water.bmp, and add the correctly colored "CV zones" and hope for the best.

I remember when PureBlue released it, I said "there's a lot of vacant land in the south". In theory, it'd be usable (read: retiled and targeted) for those regions in Syria, Lebanon and Israel.

• Like 2

Just checked on TFD tool, the map is huge, and cover all of Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Egypt... I can populate Syria, but the problem is the Tileset, is too green for Southern Turkey and Syria. Is possible to solve that?

yes, quite easily.

import the IsrealME tile set**, and then create the transitions from the (iirc) GermanyCE-ish tiles that PB used. Not an issue, just massivley time consuming as all the "real" mid East will need to be tiled by hand.

and DON'T forget the rivers and lakes (including the man-made ones). And the Suez Canal (but not really needed...)

** including the 'specials' and expansion tiles I used for the IME and Isreal 2 rebuilds

Let's talk about what I can do:

1: I can add the desert tiles and place them properly on map together with cities, even If I had to do it by hand. After all Syria and Jordania are deserts, Israel and Lebanon will need a green coast (already there) and some desert in the interior. I can even add roads to the map, as I have been practicing on several terrains for own use.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

What I can't do is transition tiles, I tried several times and I suck at it, so no transition tiles from me, the map will pass from green med terrain to desert without transitions, sorry. Also If there are river tiles on the desert map I can add them to Anatolia desert but If is only to add the tiles.

2: I can targetize the area, Syria, a bit of Jordania, Lebanon and a bit of Israel, both by copiyng exisiting targets or creating my own If needed. There are not too many target areas in Syria I think. I can also add the needed airfields.

3: I will like to add small villages with targets you need to attack with precision, so there's a feel of the real war ongoing in the area.

So that's it.

The Syrian desert is now in place...

The now green area will be a belt of med style crops.

• Like 3

why using the crappy "Desert" tiles???

use the IsrealMe tiles like I did

http://combatace.com/files/file/15546-sf2i-israelme-terrain-remod/

although THIS one reuses many desert tiles, as Gepard did when he first built it 10+ years ago

http://combatace.com/files/file/15380-israel-2-terrain-ver-41-upgradeupdate-for-sf2/

and making transitions is NOT that hard -- you just need to be able to work in layers.

Cause I'm used to work with those tiles, I have road tiles ready for that tileset, and cause I think they fir the area.

:biggrin:

the lady knows!!!

I will stick my nose in. Transition tiles can be done quite well with Gimp, copy and paste, use feathering at about 6 pixels.

I did a rather thorough overhaul of all of the naval assets in the Anatolia campaign for acesfakia which you might find useful for filling in some of the regional navies. Any of you working on this project that want to take a look at it let me know and I will include in the conversation as I still have it stored in my messenger. 

Ok, this is an update, an a question post.

Basic Tileset is on place, including some transition tiles by myself. About tiles I still need to add some cities like Jerusalem, Haifa, TelAviv, Aleppo, Raqqa... Add dozens of small villages to make the more look more alive, and add the roads to connect cities and villages. Then of course targetization, but more of that later.

Image2_zpsic20a1ij.jpg

Now about targets, I plan to use the map to have a place where Russia and Syria can bomb the rebels, I'm not sure If is possible to make NATO airplanes bomb the same targets as the Russians (maybe making a new nations file with Russia and NATO countries on the same side?). So I will targetize Syria, and a bit of Lebanon. 

As you can see in this pic, Greece is enemy, should I change all the Greek targets to friendly or should I leave them as they are now?

Image3_zpspjnycmgw.jpg

And finally concerning Israel, as Israel is totally out of place for targetization I plan only to add some airfields so IDF forces can bomb Syrian government targets, but then? Israel should be marked as Enemy? That's the only way I can imagine of doing it, and I think it can be cool to be a IDF pilot with a modern jet bombing Syrian and maybe even Russian targets, S-400 anyone? :)

49c7d31de4eb0242fc2c405c6e281148_zpst0f3

Feel free to express your opinions.

• Like 1

Ha! I have Israel marked as enemy anyway! Ha! Referring to a USS Liberty incident scenario where F-4B's from USS Saratoga show up and attack the IDF Mirages. you can easily swap back and forth Nation Lists.

Too bad we have not figured out how to do a "third party" Nation.

You should make it from Russia and Syrian government perspective.

Or do both.

Edited by CrazyhorseB34
  • Like 1

Greece goes to "Neutral"

Too bad we have not figured out how to do a "third party" Nation.

Actually we can set a nation as NEUTRAL too, but AFAIK by doing so the game won't spawn aircraft from said nation. It's a function that TK could have implemented better; it would have made SF2's campaign system more similar to the great dynamic campaigns of DiD's EF-2000 and F-22 Total Air War games.

@Stratos, in the terrain's _nation.ini file you can set which countries are friendly, which are enemy. You can put 'USAF', 'USMC', 'USN' as friendly together with 'Soviet' and whichever other country you want. In the Californian terrain by JSF_Aggie I made USAF friendly and USN enemy just for fun. So there is no need to mod the NATIONS.ini file in the Flight folder.

As Wrench said, Greece should be put to Neutral. It appears red (as if it was enemy) in the TFDtool, but it is Neutral. Ingame Neutral airports are blue as if they were friendly

I wish you the best of luck, it's a rather big project. Me and Spudknocker are also in the process of finishing the new Iran/Iraq terrains, which are a complete revamp of the ones we currently have in ODS and other mods.

Edited by blaze95

yes, remember how the game engine works... it looks in FOLDERS first, then the cats.

Whatever is inside the folder takes precedence over any other files. In this case, a nations ini for the rebuilt/reconditioned Anotolia terrain, within said folder.

Thanks a lot guys.

Have a thing in mind, mine is my first project and is a small one. Just for fun!

Tileset complete and on place, is now time to start targeting the whole thing.

One question, how can I add a working MANPAD to a target? The Rebels/DAESH does not have advanced SAMS and MANPADS are the way to go, but how can I add them? Should I add mobile_SAM entry?