MAKO69

Navy'lize a plane a what if?

Navy'lize your favorite fighter, strike fighter, bomber or recon plane, try to keep it the laws of physics in mind. I'll start off with these 2 what if Navy A-10s.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

interesting thought there.

on the other side of the coin how about navy birds " terrestrialized " ?

and painted so.

CL

Not much changes from a sea bird to a land bird, just the catapult bar removed like Australia's Hornets. It's more interesting to see a "FAIR FORCE" jet brought up to linebacker status.

i always thought the Sea Apache held promise (and would be easy in game on the top version)

post-43212-0-88551800-1484783525_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well...... This makes sense. I see the fat chick belly for fuel too but, you could hang some fuel tanks from the stubby wings and remove some armor that would allow more room for over sea fuel. This would be more Marine than Navy, but still SHIT HOT. I LIKE THE FATTY GIRL LOADED UP AT THE BOTTOM.

For CharlieLima,

How about this? ;-)

post-15237-0-92345100-1484786474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Dora
  • Like 1

For real, you being sarcastic? That was a navy plane to start. Please tell me you knew that.

• Like 1

For real, you being sarcastic? That was a navy plane to start. Please tell me you knew that.

Well,CL meant to do the opposite...and that's what the Phantom was in real life. Perhaps an interservice mic drop...

Like this would be

800px-Rock_502.jpg

EDIT: Just don't look at the Black Knights insignia

Edited by macelena

Navy'lize your favorite fighter, strike fighter, bomber or recon plane, try to keep it the laws of physics in mind. I'll start off with these 2 what if Navy A-10s.

Nice conversion.... but if it had a twin wheeled nose gear it would have been more realistic.... for eg.. The F-35C  Lightning II (Navy version) has a strengthened  twin nose wheel landing gear for carrier ops.... unlike the A & B Models.... 

Although the 'B' (USMC) model operates from amphibious support ships .. there's no need for catapult launches and no need for 'hook and cable' recovery unlike regular aircraft carriers used by the Navy...

i always thought the Sea Apache held promise (and would be easy in game on the top version)

attachicon.gifAH-64sea_apache.jpg

Getting rid of the cannon in the second and third ones? Not a good idea.... USMC Cobras still retained their cannons... and while the Navy used Hueys as armed transports/gunships they still had MG's as an integral part of their armament..... All dedicated Attack helicopters like the Cobra, Apache, Tiger, Havoc, Mangusta, Rooivalk etc. as well as their variants have a built in autocannon 

Edited by SkyStrike

Not much changes from a sea bird to a land bird, just the catapult bar removed like Australia's Hornets.

The funny thing is, that removing the launch bar effed up the dynamics of the nose-gear (the bar acted as mass-damper), so in order to minimize shimmy, they re-introduced a non-operative pretend-bar.

RAAF

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/RAAF_A21-30_McDonnell_Douglas_FA-18A_Hornet_on_display_at_Temora.jpg

SpAF:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Spanish_Hornet_(10409626133).jpg

RCAF:

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/assets/AIRFORCE_Internet/images/news-nouvelles/2016/04/stuart-sanders-hornet-2.jpg

SwAF:

http://www.janes.com/images/assets/970/59970/1579270_-_main.jpg

The Finns, Kuwaitis and Malaysians also have the bar or pretend-bar installed.

It's the small things :biggrin:

EDIT: Just don't look at the Black Knights insignia

...or the VMFA-251 tail-flash:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/US_Marine_Corps_VMFA-251_personnel_2005.jpg

Edited by Toryu

interesting thought there.

on the other side of the coin how about navy birds " terrestrialized " ?

and painted so.

CL

all the USAF Phantoms and Corsairs come to mind....

:biggrin:

• Like 2

all the USAF Phantoms and Corsairs come to mind....

:biggrin:

What about a hawkeye with no dome but as a gunship to replace the the AP-2H neptunes ?

Green paint on topside off course.

CL

Edited by charlielima
  • Like 2

Skystrike, the topic  was navalized  not Marine,  in the Sea Apache case it was billed an anti ship add on to the fleet.  while the cannon is useful for CAS and small craft,  at the time this was pitched the thought was more weapons carriers against Moskvas, Slavas and Kievs.  the top was the closest to service acceptance due to minimal change up (equalling lower development cost)  and for the record the one i thought most introduceable in game. but replacing TADS and the cannon would make some sense for a platform mainly used for torpedoes and harpoons  esp. given sea conditions and corrosion on those items. 

Skystrike, the topic  was navalized  not Marine,  in the Sea Apache case it was billed an anti ship add on to the fleet.  while the cannon is useful for CAS and small craft,  at the time this was pitched the thought was more weapons carriers against Moskvas, Slavas and Kievs.  the top was the closest to service acceptance due to minimal change up (equalling lower development cost)  and for the record the one i thought most introduceable in game. but replacing TADS and the cannon would make some sense for a platform mainly used for torpedoes and harpoons  esp. given sea conditions and corrosion on those items. 

I get what you're saying.... but aren't Marine AH-1 Cobras also Ship-based (on amphibious support ships)? and aren't the nose mounted targeting systems/Cannon also prone to saltwater corrosion? And as i mentioned earlier Navy Hueys also had Machine Guns as an integral part of their armament.... (sorry if i sound offensive but i'm just asking for clarifications so please don't think otherwise....)

Edited by SkyStrike

What about a hawkeye with no dome but as a gunship to replace the the AP-2H neptunes ?

Green paint on topside off course.

CL

Well, I did drop bombs from an E-2 once.

Coincidentally, i came back to bring another Sea Lightning:

FAOW_P-38Ligthning_Navy_v2.jpg

031016_202720_PEEL_zJNdHA.jpg

Apparently, a real paint scheme by the USAAF

Edited by macelena
  • Like 1

For CharlieLima,

How about this? ;-)

Completly stupid whatif, will never work   :blind: