Sign in to follow this  
luk1978

Belly landings in TW games.

Does anybody interested in it?

In short words - it's possible, but not easy.

Every plane should be reworked and tested. Belly landing without an explosion can be reached by adding a skids under the plane. I already updated my own Korean War install and satisfied with the results. Bad thing is that my data files are heavilly modified and are not compatible with any other mods you can find here in Combatace. I will attach my data inis just to show how this method works.

Data.7z

Every plane have 4 invisible skids in "Landing Gears" section and every skid is attached to a part of the aircraft (fuselage or engine nacelle, for multi-engine aircraft) using proper SystemName[XXX]. B-29 have 12 skids - 4 under the fuselage and 8 under the engines to avoid the overturn. The "CollisionPoints" of some parts (fuselage, nose, tail, wings) should be checked too. Collision points cannot be lower than "contact points" of the skids or aircraft will explode while landing.

That's all, guys. If someone interested in developing this feature - please share your thoughts.

PS And many thanks to Do335 for his great Wings Over Korea megamod, mue for extremely useful tool and bunik for beta testing.

• Like 4

This should be fun.  One of my favorite features in the IL-2 series the ability to belly land, blow off your canopy, jump out of the airplane and run away like your hair is on fire.  While you can't do this in a TW game, belly landings would makes some nice photo ops.

Very interesting - will see if this can be made to work in FE2 for "safe" belly landings - in its current form, a belly landing is a guaranteed explosion in First Eagles.

Happy flying,

Von S

I just tried belly landing a Panther with that DATA. Blew up every time. First time with airbrakes down. Second without airbrakes. Same results.

i was thinking about one of my first flight sims I had for PC. Jet Fighter 3. I remember doing a carrier landing after a long mission. I had everything lined up nice and perfect, and slid across the deck. They even talked about my landing in the debriefing room. "So next time let's drop the gear."

I just tried belly landing a Panther with that DATA. Blew up every time. First time with airbrakes down. Second without airbrakes. Same results.

Hmm... Maybe your landing speed was too high?

post-38288-0-31267400-1484881555_thumb.jpg

Does anybody interested in it?

In short words - it's possible, but not easy.

Every plane should be reworked and tested. Belly landing without an explosion can be reached by adding a skids under the plane. I already updated my own Korean War install and satisfied with the results. Bad thing is that my data files are heavilly modified and are not compatible with any other mods you can find here in Combatace. I will attach my data inis just to show how this method works.

attachicon.gifData.7z

Every plane have 4 invisible skids in "Landing Gears" section and every skid is attached to a part of the aircraft (fuselage or engine nacelle, for multi-engine aircraft) using proper SystemName[XXX]. B-29 have 12 skids - 4 under the fuselage and 8 under the engines to avoid the overturn. The "CollisionPoints" of some parts (fuselage, nose, tail, wings) should be checked too. Collision points cannot be lower than "contact points" of the skids or aircraft will explode while landing.

That's all, guys. If someone interested in developing this feature - please share your thoughts.

PS And many thanks to Do335 for his great Wings Over Korea megamod, mue for extremely useful tool and bunik for beta testing.

I could Belly landing on the carrier deck.

thank you very much!

post-74010-0-12306800-1484891806_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Both attempts where around 111kts. so yes probably! I will keep trying!

I am trying to do a "Brubaker" landing from The Bridges at Toko Ri.....

What a great mod! Been wishing for a tweak like this for a long time..........Is it possible to ditch?

Nice job luk1978,  

Thanks, NIELS

Is it possible to ditch?

No.

But I believe it can be done too.

I added invisible skids to A-4.

And succeeded Belly landing.

thank you very much.

[skid1]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=FALSE

IsSkid=TRUE

NoContactOnGround=true

HideGearNode=true

ModelNodeName=

ShockStroke=0.05

SpringFactor=0.2

DampingFactor=2.1

ContactPoint=-0.24,3.65,-0.85

RollingCoefficient=1.0

MaxLoadFactor=25.0

Steerable=TRUE

MaxSteeringSpeed=41.15

Locking=FALSE

MaxSteeringAngle=35.0

InputName=YAW_CONTROL

[skid2]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=FALSE

IsSkid=TRUE

NoContactOnGround=true

HideGearNode=true

ModelNodeName=

ShockStroke=0.05

SpringFactor=0.2

DampingFactor=2.1

ContactPoint=0.24,3.65,-0.85

RollingCoefficient=1.0

MaxLoadFactor=25.0

Steerable=TRUE

MaxSteeringSpeed=41.15

Locking=FALSE

MaxSteeringAngle=35.0

InputName=YAW_CONTROL

[skid3]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=FALSE

IsSkid=TRUE

NoContactOnGround=true

HideGearNode=true

ModelNodeName=

ShockStroke=0.05

SpringFactor=0.2

DampingFactor=2.1

ContactPoint=-0.64,-2.5,-0.85

RollingCoefficient=1.0

MaxLoadFactor=25.0

[skid4]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=FALSE

IsSkid=TRUE

NoContactOnGround=true

HideGearNode=true

ModelNodeName=

ShockStroke=0.05

SpringFactor=0.2

DampingFactor=2.1

ContactPoint=0.64,-2.5,-0.85

RollingCoefficient=1.0

MaxLoadFactor=25.0

[skid5]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=FALSE

IsSkid=TRUE

NoContactOnGround=true

HideGearNode=true

ModelNodeName=

ShockStroke=0.05

SpringFactor=0.2

DampingFactor=2.1

ContactPoint=-4.2,-2.5,-0.85

RollingCoefficient=1.0

MaxLoadFactor=25.0

[skid6]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=FALSE

IsSkid=TRUE

NoContactOnGround=true

HideGearNode=true

ModelNodeName=

ShockStroke=0.05

SpringFactor=0.2

DampingFactor=2.1

ContactPoint=4.2,-2.5,-0.85

RollingCoefficient=1.0

MaxLoadFactor=25.0

post-74010-0-79760400-1484991910_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Good job!  I'm working on 60-70s jets now and encountered some problems. Looks like these planes are too fast and heavy for my skids. Skyraider, Dragonfly, Bronco, B-52 etc is OK. But some supersonic planes (especially Phantom) is VERY difficult to land safely. When I tried to land a MiG-21, only 1 of 10 attempts was successful. I think that skids should be stregthened, but I don't know how. Maybe "MaxLoadFactor" is responsible for that?

Anyway, this may be helpful for you:

Vietnam Era.7z

Edited by luk1978
  • Like 2

Good job!  I'm working on 60-70s jets now and encountered some problems. Looks like these planes are too fast and heavy for my skids. Skyraider, Dragonfly, Bronco, B-52 etc is OK. But some supersonic planes (especially Phantom) is VERY difficult to land safely. When I tried to land a MiG-21, only 1 of 10 attempts was successful. I think that skids should be stregthened, but I don't know how. Maybe "MaxLoadFactor" is responsible for that?

Anyway, this may be helpful for you:

attachicon.gifVietnam Era.7z

Maybe it is yes. My A - 4 "MaxLoadFactor" did not succeed at 15. I changed it to 25 and succeeded. At that time the speed was 120 knots.

MAKOTO

Maybe it is yes. My A - 4 "MaxLoadFactor" did not succeed at 15. I changed it to 25 and succeeded. At that time the speed was 120 knots.

MAKOTO

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Great work, thanks!

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Like 1

My A - 7 succeeded Belly landing.
Thank you for the good data!

post-74010-0-37845600-1485003602_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just perfect. I never tried belly landings on carriers. Good to see it works.

Can you share your aircraft inis after finishing your work? Looks like your method is much more complicated than mine (6 skids instead of 4, 2 is yaw controlled, wow).

• Like 1

That was a close one!

Makes me wonder if a net can be added to the carrier.

There is already the blast shield animation. But perhaps data for the hook or something can be added so the plane won't blow up. Visually it looks like a net but it actually works like a mega cable.  Shoot I don't how the mechanics work. I'll shut up.

Nice idea.

Hope one day we can have copy / paste _data.ini lines of skid mod for most aircraft so user can add to aircrafts he want.

Honestly im lazzy to add and test lines for most of aircrafts...so will wait for copy paste version...

instead will work on some other projects.... :blink:

• Like 2

Just perfect. I never tried belly landings on carriers. Good to see it works.

Can you share your aircraft inis after finishing your work? Looks like your method is much more complicated than mine (6 skids instead of 4, 2 is yaw controlled, wow).

Yes, I think that we can share aircraft inis. But there is currently no idea to complete all aircraft.

Skid.zip

Edited by MAKOTO
  • Like 2

... :good:

Very interesting for WW2 Bombers!

• Like 1

Some bug fixes and corrections. Added skids on wingtips for most of the aircraft. 

I think I'm done with it.

data.7z

Thanks MAKOTO for the help.

post-38288-0-44925700-1485446766_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Tried it in the B57, works great! Thanks mate!