Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

British singer Vera Lynn to release new album at 100

The White Cliffs Of Dover: 

London (AFP) - Renowned World War II singer Vera Lynn will celebrate her next birthday by becoming the first singer in history to release a new album at age 100, her record label said on Thursday.

"Vera Lynn 100" will feature Lynn's original vocals set to re-orchestrated versions of some of her most famous songs including "The White Cliffs of Dover" and "Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart."

The album is being released on March 17, three days before the singer's milestone birthday.

"It's truly humbling that people still enjoy these songs from so many years ago, reliving the emotions of that time," Lynn said in a statement released by Decca Records.

"It's so wonderful for me to hear 'my songs' again so beautifully presented in a completely new way," she said.

Known as the "forces' sweetheart", Lynn famously boosted troops' morale during World War II, travelling thousands of miles to Egypt, India and Myanmar to entertain soldiers with her songs.

Lynn, who started performing at the age of seven, has won many accolades during her illustrious career.

She became the first British artist to top the US charts in 1952 as well as the oldest living artist to feature in the UK top 20 chart at the age of 97.

Honoured many times by Queen Elizabeth II, Lynn was made a dame in 1975.

Asked on Thursday if she thought her new album could surpass the previous one and reach number one in UK charts, Lynn told BBC radio: "I doubt that."

"It might seem quite tame to these young people, the music. But for us it was very exciting and very meaningful and it meant a lot to people."

The singer, who has described reaching her 100th birthday as "an incredible adventure of song, dance and friendship". It will be celebrated in a charity concert, held at the London Palladium on March 18.

Lynn will not join in the singing, telling the BBC: "It's best I can remember me as I was."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/british-singer-vera-lynn-release-album-100-112856914.html

• Like 2

That 'We'll meet again Don't know where Don't know when But I know we'll meet again Some sunny day' line I always considered so hopefully powerful in the context of the possible imminent death that so many people of those times faced.

• Like 2

As Time Goes By ain't bad either...

• Like 1

A great, great movie - and don't forget Rick Blaine's famous line:
"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

It's right up their with Mitchell Gantt uttering "Simple." right after he landed the stolen and out-of-fuel MiG-31 "Firefox" on an ice floe!

The reason I know her name is from Pink Floyd, The Wall:

https://youtu.be/MummZBgO3Ek

Me too, streakeagle. "Vera" almost makes me cry each time I listen it. Roger Waters makes such powerful songs.

The song alludes to the loss of his father during WW2, and how Lynn's words "we'll meet again, some sunny day" never materialized for him.

Edited by Menrva

Me too, streakeagle. "Vera" almost makes me cry each time I listen it. Roger Waters makes such powerful songs.

The song alludes to the loss of his father during WW2, and how Lynn's words "we'll meet again, some sunny day" never materialized for him.

I think that Vera Lynn's song carries the hope that they may yet meet.

Frankly I thought she was more or less stricken with dementia and living in a care home somewhere, - there's life in the old girl yet.