Sign in to follow this  
Geary

MTO USAAF A-20 Havoc skin references

I would like to skin the Boston as a US A-20 Havoc for the USAAF in the MTO.

BUT I have no references for the USAAF Havoc in the MTO.

I can find some pics and WIKI info on the web not nothing definitive on USAAF MTO A-20's;  at least nothing that I can see well enough to skin from.

Any pictures, units, or direction to find this information will be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Geary

a real pity that Cocas never finished his -- I'd have like to have reused all work I'd done on the DAT birds (ETO & PTO) on something readily available.

I know there's references, but remember where I put the pdfs...

Wrench,

Looking forward to anything you can find referencing this plane and theatre.

Czech6,

Thanks for the site.  Looks like there's some usable info in there once it's sifted.

Too bad no color pictures.

some of the B&Ws, at least some that I looked at, showing A-20Cs seem to indicate a 'sand and spinich' 2-tone upper finish, even as late as 44.

I know for a fact, A-20Gs in theatre were all "standard" AAF OD & Neutral gray

Playing around with the MTO sand and blue color scheme in the absence of factual color pictures.  But I don't think this is anywhere near real.  Just wanted to see what it would look like.

This lod has a few defects.

This is what I have so far.  Still needs mucho work.

A-20Havoc-MTO1.jpg

A-20Havoc-MTO2.jpg

OD and Neutral Gray

A-20Havoc-MTO3.jpg

Nice stuff.

Star in blue roundel with yellow outline was standard in North Africa i believe.

CL

charlielima,

You might be right about the insignia.  That's why I was hoping for definitive references.

In the meantime, I think I'll go with the OD/Neutral Gray paint scheme of the A-20G model.  I prefer more guns than the A-20B had.

A-20Havoc-MTO4.jpg

post-11823-0-90980600-1487045359.pngpost-11823-0-17071600-1487045324_thumb.jpgpost-11823-0-81335200-1487045396.jpg

I wish we had the solid nose version for my " Havoc" pleasure.

CL

oh yah. the gulf in desert tan please.

CL

charlielima,

WOW!!  and thanks.

That big one in the center looks like German desert camo.

Those will be bitches to paint.

Just got this one done.

A-20Havoc-MTO5.jpg

• Like 1

ok, you're marking are ALL wrong....

A,B,C units with first deployed to NA seem to have carried some odd RAF style, especially the mottle made famous by the Revell 1/72 model (see box art above)

G's would carry the "star-and-bar', as they became the standard after Sept 43. The yellow outline (also used by some aircraft in England) while used during Torch, was phased out mid-43 by the red outlined 'star-and-bar'.

Chart below

And , yes the model is badly flawed -- there are many areas unmapped or oddly mapped, and it's missing several items (not the least of which is the lower "tunnel" gun and the oval side windows, and the pilot's entrance hatch opens the wrong direction and C has the wrong exhausts - should be one large tube on the outboard side of each nacelle. What they have are the individual stacks, as used on later models).

I've done a LOT of work the Havocs over the years -- we just simply need a newer, more accurate model. Not just for the glass nosed A/B/C (which have different styles of glass noses between the A/B & C), but the solid nosed G and later "blown" glass nosed J

I DO have the max files for Daniel's A-20 (it's a C model -and of course can be reworked into the G & J). It's such an important aircraft, in all theatres where it operated, it's just a crying shame we can't get a better version.

as this thread is getting pretty specific, I've also moved it to the WW2 Forum.

ww2 aaf markings.jpg

• Like 1

OK, I think I'll try the sand and green on the Boston with the azure blue bottom and the yellow ringed rondel.

I'll keep the G model the OD/Neutral gray with the star and bar. I need to straighten out the line where the top and bottom paints meet.

Would also love to have the G model with the 20mm guns.

I agree we could use a new model as this is a great plane. 

Gee, all this started because I didn't have a US skin to fly in the MTO and turns out the G model is the same skin as your ETO skins.

Thanks for the info.  Will get on these ASAP.

there were lots of issues with the 20mm gunned Gs, and many were converted in the field, back to 50 cals. I don't remember the exact number built as 20s, but it was "only" a few hundred.

The reason I like the Havoc so much, is they were built less then 1/2 mile from where I'm sitting right now; at the Santa Monica Douglas plant. Sort of a personal thing!

---

the only difference from MTO to my ETO skins, is in the Med, they didn't use those squadron markings on the tails, but the 'battle numbers'. 

• Like 2

It looks like each bird was individually painted by their crews.

Same colors. Different motifs.

Looks like a job for Gepard

CL