Sign in to follow this  
MarcQ

Mercenary Mode ?

How do you get that? I'm retired and wouldn't mind a little sideline ;)

Marc..

if you have the mission editor, you can fly as mercenary anytime mate

if you have the mission editor, you can fly as mercenary anytime mate

So it's something you have to create?

Marc..

No its DLC 11 you need to purchase it from the Thirdwire site, called the campaign customiser, it allows you to change pretty much everything in the campaign setup, I must admit I don't know why it is a purchaseable item, in my opinion it should have just been part of the sim , the DLC aircraft I sort of understand, but this seems a bit daft to me, however there it is, grab that matey, and you will be up and running.

Never actually tried it but if you have SF2[desert] installed you can fly the campaigns as a mercenary.

Yes mate that is correct, but the Campaign editor allows you to change your aircraft etc, you can even fly for the Paranis as a merc using it I assume you can do it in all of the different titles as well, not tried it to be honest, only on Paran/Dhimar campaigns, as generally those are all I fly

So I got the mission editor but can't see anything related the mercenary. Would I be better off with campaign customizer ?

Marc..

YES !!  the  campaign customiser, mission editor is just that, for editing single missions, please re read my previous post and go to Thirdwire, in  the downloads and look for DLC 11 , like I said. it will cost you a couple of quid but thems the breaks, take a look at the DLC aircraft too, some of the skins and add ons on this site need certain DLC aircraft to work correctly, Mirages mainly, but if you have a few spare bit o' change burning a hole in your pocketsesssss, you may get them.....I have them all now worth spending the money.

Ok so I bought the Campaign Customiser and do see the option of flying as a mercenary.but it's greyed out so I can't used that option :(

Flying vietnam campaingn

Marc..

Edited by MarcQ

maybe the merc option is only on the paran Dhimari front then, I dont know as I have only ever used it on burning sands campaigns, just a query, why would you want to fly Vietnam as a merc ? also in the vietnam scenarios, they dont have any mercs set up in the Squadron lists or nations ini's so maybe if you add a merc squadron to the Sqadron list ini, it may work, like I said never done it outside of Paran / Dhimar as if I play Vietnam, or Nato fighters etc. I fly as the expected airforces.......Thats the beauty of Burning sands campaigns, you can pretty much do whatever you like, especially if you have a fully merged install, with North Atlantic so there are carriers available as well, I also like it because the default aircraft for Burning sands 1 is the super sabre, and I prefer to fly either Vampires/Venoms, or Hunters or even Meteors, I'm ex RAF after all, I got my pride ya know  lol

maybe the merc option is only on the paran Dhimari front then, I dont know as I have only ever used it on burning sands campaigns, just a query, why would you want to fly Vietnam as a merc ? also in the vietnam scenarios, they dont have any mercs set up in the Squadron lists or nations ini's so maybe if you add a merc squadron to the Sqadron list ini, it may work, like I said never done it outside of Paran / Dhimar as if I play Vietnam, or Nato fighters etc. I fly as the expected airforces.......Thats the beauty of Burning sands campaigns, you can pretty much do whatever you like, especially if you have a fully merged install, with North Atlantic so there are carriers available as well, I also like it because the default aircraft for Burning sands 1 is the super sabre, and I prefer to fly either Vampires/Venoms, or Hunters or even Meteors, I'm ex RAF after all, I got my pride ya know  lol

I like the Vietnam environment. So you think it's not compatible with the Rolling Thunder campaign?

Marc..

I wouldn't say it isn't. I would have to have a look see at it, and acertain if it is feasible, I would imagine as long as you add your Merc Squadron to the Squadronlist.ini it may enable the option, but like I say I would have to play around with it to see if I can get the option up and running, maybe the Merc option would also need to be added to the Nations.ini as well, and as I haven't had the sim running for a couple of months, I would have to fiddle around and see.......Do I not think the Merc option is compatible with Vietnam......hmmmm.....It isnt an option I personally would entertain, I would prefer that option in a hypothetical Middle East, or African scenario, however, far be it from me to criticise, you play the sim how YO?U wish to play it, and good for you mate ! I was merely curious, hence the question.

I wouldn't say it isn't. I would have to have a look see at it, and acertain if it is feasible, I would imagine as long as you add your Merc Squadron to the Squadronlist.ini it may enable the option, but like I say I would have to play around with it to see if I can get the option up and running, maybe the Merc option would also need to be added to the Nations.ini as well, and as I haven't had the sim running for a couple of months, I would have to fiddle around and see.......Do I not think the Merc option is compatible with Vietnam......hmmmm.....It isnt an option I personally would entertain, I would prefer that option in a hypothetical Middle East, or African scenario, however, far be it from me to criticise, you play the sim how YO?U wish to play it, and good for you mate ! I was merely curious, hence the question.

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciated. I read somewhere but can't remember where, that it may have to do with aircraft carriers but not sure, I'll continue to investigate. Sure hope I get it working, I think it's a great option to have

Marc..

are you playing the Vanilla WO?V, or are you playing the add on campaign ? also do you have SFNA  merged with your set up, or is it the base WOV only ? I am sure it is not an insurmountable problem, if I get time next week I shall try and have a look and see what can be done.

are you playing the Vanilla WO?V, or are you playing the add on campaign ? also do you have SFNA  merged with your set up, or is it the base WOV only ? I am sure it is not an insurmountable problem, if I get time next week I shall try and have a look and see what can be done.

Stock install of SF2 V with Sarcam 1.5 cload mod , Vietnam Sea terrain mod and mission editor

Only have 3 campaign to choose from, Rolling Thunder,Linebacker I, Linebacker II

Thanks, Marc..

OK, well it maybe worth your while investing in the other titles in the series as well, a full merge of all the titles adds a lot more options, and flexibility, it's a case of more is better with Strike Fighters. SFNA in particular adds a lot better carrier support and operations, I have all the titles , including First Eagles, I just like the flexibility of the Sim, yes its maybe not as refined as more up to date ones, but it has the advantage of being extremely modifiable and accessible, I have other more accurate and up to date sims, but I generally only play the Third wire series, as I find the likes of DCS, though superb, and realistic, too much like hard work, if you get my drift. Also, as I previously mentioned, getting the DLC aircraft is a good plan too, even though they are not 100% needed for day to day flying, but they are nice to have , just because. The other side of the coin is also, the satifaction you can have doing some of your own modding and tweaking, 4 years back when I first started with the SF/FE series I knew nothing at all, but with help and guidance from the community on this site, plus the knowledge base, and some very very good modders, I have learned a lot.  So I do skinning , as I am not really able to do anything else as I don't have 3DS MAX so I cannot cockpits, or new aircraft etc. but I actually enjoy the skinning, so all is good eh ! Anyhow, food for thought there, and again, if I get the chance I will have a play around and see if I can get a merc mode up and running in Vietnam, no promises though it may not be within my sphere of knowledge.

OK, I fired up SF today, now bearing in mind I have all 5 SF titles merged, I just flew a mission as a mercenary in Vietnam, flying a Mirage F1, Granted the mercenary markings were not showing, but as I said, that is most likley because I dont have a merc squadron in my squadronlist.ini for the Vietnam scenarios, I then did the same with SF Europe, and again was able to fly as a Merc, all be it sans merc markings. So I reckon your issue is you are only using SF Vietnam, you need at the very least, to have the Base SF installed, and the Vietnam merged over the top of that , I am unsure if you need any of the other titles as well, but as I said before, there is no downside to owning all the titles anyhow mate !! plus the DLC's I assume when you used the Campaign editor, you mean the fly as merc option at the bottom of the selection page was greyed out, if so, then for sure it is because you dont have the base game and 'Nam merged.

OK, I fired up SF today, now bearing in mind I have all 5 SF titles merged, I just flew a mission as a mercenary in Vietnam, flying a Mirage F1, Granted the mercenary markings were not showing, but as I said, that is most likley because I dont have a merc squadron in my squadronlist.ini for the Vietnam scenarios, I then did the same with SF Europe, and again was able to fly as a Merc, all be it sans merc markings. So I reckon your issue is you are only using SF Vietnam, you need at the very least, to have the Base SF installed, and the Vietnam merged over the top of that , I am unsure if you need any of the other titles as well, but as I said before, there is no downside to owning all the titles anyhow mate !! plus the DLC's I assume when you used the Campaign editor, you mean the fly as merc option at the bottom of the selection page was greyed out, if so, then for sure it is because you dont have the base game and 'Nam merged.

By base game, you mean Strike Fighter 2 ?

Marc..

Yup, I assumed you have that dont you ?

So I purchased SF2 and it works :big_boss:

Thanks again and I will eventually get all the tittles 

I love this game

Marc..

Edited by MarcQ

ahhh there you go, glad to have been of some help, if you need any other assistance , please feel free to contact me, and I will help as much as I can, or I may know who would be able.

ahhh there you go, glad to have been of some help, if you need any other assistance , please feel free to contact me, and I will help as much as I can, or I may know who would be able.

Yes for sure, it's because of guys like you that I love this place

Thanks, Marc..

Yes there is a relaxed and happy atmosphere on this site, very little petty bickering, and some knowledgeable folk on here as well, plus tons and tons of add ons and mods, most of it very good indeed.