With the Battle of the Bulge tank and artillery situation more or less under control I'm taking a closer look at the available AAA pieces for the different countries.

For Germany, all I have are a couple of versions of the 88mm flak gun [MontyCZ and Geo], a static 20mm gun[MontyCZ and Geo], a mobile 20mm gun on a half track[Geo] and another half track with a machine gun that I've been directly placing on the map and does engage air targets.

For the US all I've got are a 90mm and 120mm flak gun, both adapted from other models, a 50cal quad mount on a half track[Geo], and another half track with a machine gun set up for direct map placement like the German version.

For Britain, I'm still looking things over but don't think there is much available except maybe a static bofors gun and a larger gun for higher altitudes.

I've had a look through the SF-1 and SF-2 downloads but haven't found much so would appreciate it if anyone is aware of AAA objects I may have missed.

I would also be interested in any British vehicles with machine guns that could be set up for direct placement similar to the US and German half tracks.

The German 88mm and US 90mm are all I need for high altitude flak on this narrow focused project but would really like to add more mobile AAA. Any post-war models that would make convincing mobile AAA for WW2 use would be of interest as well.

Are there some AA machine gun packs in the FE downloads that would be useful?

Baffmeister, take a look at the SF2 AAA Pack by malibu43 and eburger.  Monty's Skoda is also nice, and you can re-purpose the Cannon Bitube and Cannon Fictional in the SFP1 downloads.  If it would help, I can provide you the various conversions I have done which I know work great in SF2.  I enjoy the natives filling the sky around me with flak bursts!

Had a quick look through the FE objects but think they are all too old for 1944-45 time frame. Some of the objects might be OK for early WW2 use but there are model size differences between the two games, with FE objects being scaled at, I think 63%, so the FE objects probably can't be used anyway. Some building objects are OK, like one of the FE  church models I'm using. What looks like a big church in FE becomes a considerably smaller one in SF.

Thanks for the reminder about the SF2 AAA pack! I thought I had that one but it turns out I had been looking through an earlier SF1 package so now have a few more AAA objects to check out. Some of the objects described as MOBILE_AAA are really just towed guns so I would say there is a shortage of "self propelled" AAA guns for WW2 use. After some light research I think many of the dedicated self propelled AAA guns were built in quite limited numbers so the majority might have been the ones adapted for half track use, of which I have a German and US version installed.

Bofors guns will be all over Allied territory. Did't I make a US 120mm gun???

the M-42 "start date" is 1945, but probably didn't see much service until after the war's end. 

Same can be said for the M19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M19_Multiple_Gun_Motor_Carriage

the sad thing is, anything that's needed would need to be built (Crusader AA units, etc)

Bofors guns will be all over Allied territory. Did't I make a US 120mm gun???

Yep! I have that and the 90mm as well but not installed yet.

Remember that the 40mm Bofors in WWII should all be contact fused. The smallest shell that could take a VT fuse at the time was 3-inch (76mm). That is how I have the naval Bofors set up on all of the WWII ships I have worked on.     

• Like 2

Thanks for that observation. Not sure how I'm going to address the exploding shell situation for the larger guns but the more contact fused guns the better. Could you post the data for your 40mm Bofors set up?

Here is the 40mm Bofors I set up for the USN for you to look over.

40MM_L56.7z

I also have some German Navy Gun data files that I was working on at one time, if you want I can dig them up and see if they have any Luftwaffe and Heer counterparts.

• Like 1

I had some issues with the directly placed AAA not showing up on the in game map as well as not being able to target the AAA with the "E" key so I'm just going with the standard AAA setup. I expect a lot of folks have a good WW2 AAA collection but mine's been a real mess until now.  I'm going to include a half dozen or so AAA pieces with the package but they will be optional.

The time fuzed flak with realistic warhead weights is useless so I've put together a generic flak gun for the 80-90mm range that's being used by Germany, the US and Britain. It's been set up with a very large warhead weight similar to the flak guns used in the Vietnam SE Expansion pack. Even with a 200kg warhead and three flak zones in range it took about four circuits at low airspeed to get this result:

post-6894-0-45679100-1493746585_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

then, you aren't looking hard enough. I've found plenty of resources on Japanese weapons. Unfortunately, I never bookmarked the sites. I do, however, have a FM on their "Explosive Ordanance"

In truth, neither the IJA or IJN had a large selection. The naval guns were more "dual purpose" like the US or RN (including the 18 inchers)

The ground forces really did have a rather limited number of weapons.