Nefarious

Adding Carriers to Germany, Israel Campaigns

Was curious about adding CV's to the stock Germany and Israel Terrains for Campaign use.

Is it possible to do this? Would like to add USN and USMC Campaigns for Germany and Israel.

The search results seem to show instructions for SF1 series only, or am I lost as usual?

You can do it by editing the Water .bmp files, but I warn you, don't use Russian naval aviation, because that's all the engine will let you target with strike packages.  I would recommend British naval aviation for GermanyCE and French or American naval aviation for the IsraelME map.

• Like 1

Thank you, I did see that in the Knowledge base.

Plan on creating US Carrier Operations options in the existing stock campaigns. 

This has been discussed at great length over the years..

there's simply not enough 'sea room' on the Germany map. you need a 300nm "bubble", as you AWACs waill always orbit 200km out from the carrier. Can't be done on that map, due the location of "The Wall", on one side, and enemy SAMs on the other.

IsraelME has been done that way for year. It's just not very practical. There are other terrains, covering that part of the world, that do it better.

Could it be done the old fashion way? Add a carrier station in the Targets ini and the appropriate entries in the campaign data ini? I think that approach just generates a static carrier with no supporting ships but at least gives you a carrier to fly from.

Nefarious, here's a link to the old SF1 approach to installing a carrier station for a campaign. No water map required and I think it still works in SF2 but not 100% sure. You may have enough sea room in the north west corner of the GermanyCE terrain but not 100% sure about that either. http://combatace.com/forum/190-adding-carriers-to-campaigns/

I've used US, French, & British naval aviation on IsraelME since it came out. It works pretty good, but Wrench is right. There are other terrains that do carrier ops better.

Still unsuccessful adding USN forces to the Yom Kippur campaign.

I have added the carrier station, added the entire airwing from the USS Independence. Still not an option to select in the Campaign Screen.

Still working on it. <S> 

<cough> terrain is nation limited <cough>

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for that.

I have got VF-33 F-4Js in the campaign now. 

To create the Carrier Station I created a single mission with the CV in it, then copied the coordinates and pasted into the target.ini, but the Carrier appears in the SW corner of the map and I explode on mission start, any clues on why that would be?

Have you done the necessary editing of the Water_Map.bmp in order to give the engine a place to put a carrier?

Have you done the necessary editing of the Water_Map.bmp in order to give the engine a place to put a carrier?

I did not, instead I followed bafmeisters links. I will do that right now.

Edited by Nefarious

Still in the SW corner of the map.

Why is the terrain nation limited? Is it just IsraelME?

Still in the SW corner of the map.

Why is the terrain nation limited? Is it just IsraelME?

Hmmm....let me see if I can come up with something.

Okay, big guy.  Let's do some quick function checks.  Go into your main IsraelME terrain folder and find the IsraelMe.ini file.  Open it up and see if it contains the following entry anywhere.

NavalMap=TRUE

If that's in there, we'll go on the next thing.

Edited by PFunk

Remember, you'll probably need a full 5 merged install of SF2 -WITH- SF2:NA to fully make use of the special features dealing with naval battle groups

The IsraelME map is nation limited because it has to be. Nobody else goes over there and messes about (with the exception of Operation Musketeer in 1956). 

Just go over the real world history of the region. There really is no need for American CVBGs laying off the coast. Or soviet or ...or....

(what I'm not sure of is having the NavalMap=TRUE will generate proper SAGs, as no one in the region has anything bigger than 'destroyer' class ships)

also, iirc, eburger redid some of the original stuff we did for the 56 war, and there already exists a CV zoned IME map

That might be his best option.  I have one I made, but the one from the '48-'56 Expansion works pretty darn good.

LOL.  Didn't even think to ask, "Hey, do you have North Atlantic?"

Edited by PFunk

Remember, you'll probably need a full 5 merged install of SF2 -WITH- SF2:NA to fully make use of the special features dealing with naval battle groups

The IsraelME map is nation limited because it has to be. Nobody else goes over there and messes about (with the exception of Operation Musketeer in 1956). 

Just go over the real world history of the region. There really is no need for American CVBGs laying off the coast. Or soviet or ...or....

(what I'm not sure of is having the NavalMap=TRUE will generate proper SAGs, as no one in the region has anything bigger than 'destroyer' class ships)

also, iirc, eburger redid some of the original stuff we did for the 56 war, and there already exists a CV zoned IME map

I do not have SF2. I have North Atlantic, Vietnam, Germany and Israel.

As far as no one messing about, that is one of the reasons I wanted to add US CVBGs to Israel. My dad was on the USS Independence with VA-65 on his first cruise. Yom Kippur started and they rushed from Crete to the action where they were on high alert. I wanted to do a What-if of a shooting war between the US and Syria/Egypt/Russia... Whoever really. Just wanted to try something new with the game really.

Okay, you're going to have to go 'old school' and use baffmeister's instructions.  I haven't done that in so long, I'm not sure I'd get it right.  There's also a set of instructions for adding carriers in the old SFP1 Knowledge Base that I know works.  Look at the planning map of Israel and check out what coordinates would put a carrier in the water and just do trial-and-error until you get it in the water.  I'll try to noodle through it on my end.

Okay, you're going to have to go 'old school' and use baffmeister's instructions.  I haven't done that in so long, I'm not sure I'd get it right.  There's also a set of instructions for adding carriers in the old SFP1 Knowledge Base that I know works.  Look at the planning map of Israel and check out what coordinates would put a carrier in the water and just do trial-and-error until you get it in the water.  I'll try to noodle through it on my end.

I created a mission and placed a carrier, I then opened up the mission in txt editor and copied and pasted the coords into the Israel Targets ini.

So it seems I'm almost there, Ship just wants to be in the SW corner instead of just south of Crete.

Yeah, you're going to have to do that every time in the single mission editor.  I don't think it can do it otherwise.  The only way the single mission editor can place a carrier natively is if you have SF2NA.

I created a mission and placed a carrier, I then opened up the mission in txt editor and copied and pasted the coords into the Israel Targets ini.

So it seems I'm almost there, Ship just wants to be in the SW corner instead of just south of Crete.

Just clarifying here, I meant Cyprus ^^^