Sign in to follow this  

doesn't look like it would. looks (to me) like a direct port from the mobile to PC, with the arcade style "outside only view".

OTH, it does look interesting!

CA community have better assests "library" than thirdwire anyway

thirdwire can't offer anything useful anymore for SF2 players...exept source code..

• Like 4

CA community have better assests "library" than thirdwire anyway

sorry have to disagree with few exceptions, TWs models STILL are looking very good, suprisingly even considering their mileage

• Like 6

sorry have to disagree with few exceptions, TWs models STILL are looking very good, suprisingly even considering their mileage

I agree...some are even better still ...

but I was generaly speaking about variety of mods...

Am not saying thirdwire is crap.. because its not.

• Like 3

I was told it costs him 10K to make a model. He told me a long time ago they would be focusing on the app market a bit more.

He told me a long time ago they would be focusing on the app market a bit more.

they are back releasing on PC though :tongue:

I was told it costs him 10K to make a model. He told me a long time ago they would be focusing on the app market a bit more.

bull. someone tell him a passable MiG29 costs but a mere dollar...

post-43212-0-98452900-1490009644_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

bull. someone tell him a passable MiG29 costs but a mere dollar...

10K for Thirdwire per plane is pretty sane and plausible number -remember that single plane (module) for DCS is around 80K-100K to develop

Maybe release the plane set as DLC package for SF2?!

This would be interesting idea... but I think the aircraft need several updates for SF2.

This anouncement @ Thirdwire could be the first step to a "comeback"...

• Like 1

It's an indie game, and I'm glad he's still in business. But that doesn't excuse him leaving his previous products in the state they're in.

Clearly you never bought a game with actually zero support post launch from developers, talking AAA studios, there are too many a examplesif by

"state they are in" you mean lack of aerial refuelling, yeah dream on

edit: typo. Supoort is a gravitational phenomena in Oort cloud :tongue:

Edited by Stary

10K for Thirdwire per plane is pretty sane and plausible number -remember that single plane (module) for DCS is around 80K-100K to develop

That's staggering-an interior designer (construction and fit out work) charges about 22K for full design related work in SEA for small to medium scale projects; no doubt a different discipline, but I presume the fundamentals are the same. i suppose when you count the time involved for refining the model, skinning work and the FM, it adds up.

If that is the kind of money needed for game development, he really should be looking at investors to support him.  

That's in SEA. TK is in Texas which I assume is a fair bit more expensive. What it really comes down to is time. If you factor in the time it takes to build a quality plane with exterior models and virtual cockpit, to modern standards, 10k is a totally feasible sum. A single ship model for Cold Waters probably ends up around 3k, and then you can multiply that by some 40 classes of ship in the game.

• Like 3

well, looks like he's been reading the CA boards!  

• Like 2

Meh he put the Kiev and AHM'S in SF2NA.   It is problematic to me that he blames  the modders .... seriously they have done more to put money in his pocket than he is willing to give them credit for.... and they do it out of love for the sim.    It comes down to  standards and pride in your work and that is the bottom line. He was really on to something with SF2NA  if he had taken a bit more time to refine  it  and promote it he would have had a lot more sales. There are a lot of great and talented people here that would have helped him to achieve greatness with his  games  at a moderate compensation,  out of love of the sim.

In my opinion the gentleman is trapped in a limiting belief system.  

• Like 2

My 2 cents is he is not wrong about that. A mod is used at the users risk, and it's not tk's job to fix this. But adding features is.

One way or another, that won't stop me playing his games or his apps

• Like 1

Well on one point he is right..he released game as is.. and its only his will to do more or not...In this case he dump tis project long time ago.

But looks like the main fault is on other side -  modders are responsible for making it too complicated ...

well open source could be a cure...

As we are free to mod...

Wonder if one day "ever"  someone will pass for free "exe" patch file that improves few things... will it be illegal cracking or just anoher free mod...as he said "free to mod how ever you want".

Well I would say the fact that thirdwire is releasing ANYthing for windows is a good sign that he might be coming around back to SF2... I personally dont totally understand the price and cost numbers he comes up with cause people here at CA do AMAZING work for free... but I could just not understand this stuff but i completely understand how DCS modules can cost a lot and I do not know how being a developer for DCS could be profitable but thats why I dont mind spending money on the wonderful things they release.  I wish TK embraced the SF2 community a bit more because I see the potentual for a strike fighters type "lite" flight sim taking off as a very enjoyable experience between the anime of Ace Combat and the huge complexity of DCS 

Another interesting thing is that I believe the SF universe has been a stepping stone for a lot of people before going to the intense complexity of DCS and that is a very interesting Niche in the market... anyway there's a girl's two cents haha

• Like 2

In case any of you were curious.

Pfunk: WTF. You do realize you just requested mod tech support... from the game dev? This is the stereotypical reason used by the non-modding devs and communities: "why we don't allow modding? because for one we wouldn't be able to provide quality support due to mods." Your question just falls straight into their reasoning. No wonder TK replies "remove modding and there won't be any of these problems". I can't be helped but be pushed to the same thought after reading this! you then capture the excerpt, post it here and piss off the modders. wha..?

if this was a question by a newbie nobody then might as well, he probably doesn't know better or maybe just out for a troll. but you have been around SF for how many years now. And you still don't know this. i mean WTF.

Edited by Do335

I have removed my posts from this thread so as not to offend anyone's sensibilities and I have also apologized for my behavior to ThirdWire via FB.  Have a good day.

Edited by PFunk

hmmm much drama missed I :sad:

edit: ok not a biggie;what is nice is that TK wrote there that he is open to making more PC games -which, even is similar to these is always welcomed, amirite?

Edited by Stary

I For One Am Totaly Satisfied With TK's Work To Date, But Better Yet If He Gets An Itch To
Scratch He Will Find Me Ready With The Rent Money If Its DLC Expansion Or A Full Blown SF3
Environment. First Thing I Learned From My Dad Was Ground Up When He Decided To Do A
Article For RC Modeler The First Thing He Broke Out Was Drafting Paper To Ink His Plans
And Submit Them For Publishment. AOM Second Class Weapons Mechanic 43-46 Then Naval Reserve
Followed By Air National Guard Well Into Mid To Late Fifties. I Myself Have Overhauled
Equiptment For Over Two Decades For Civilian And Military Establishments 143 Aerial Resupply
Newport Naval Center McGuire Air Base As A Hydraulic Heavy Lift Mechanic Also Heavy Support For
Electric Boat. Modeling And Gaming Is So Much Rewarding For Those Veterans Out There Who Have
Supported And Dearly Miss Their Professions.

I have removed my posts from this thread

oh come on dude... i sound harsh nowadayz with the sole purpose of being heard. take a look around and find another current flight sim that supports open modding. all there's left is the old off the shelf ones. we've all heard of or been thru the hoops of red tape that surrounds some of the other titles that is even if they have some limited ability to be modded.

yet within the modding circle the community doesn't even support the developer from time to time. ppl should know better like what kinda stuff to ask and how to ask 'em... otherwise what's the point of CA and modding if there isn't stuff to mod? the devs that take a pro stance to modding, like killerfish games, and some others i know like Xcom, Homeworld, X series, KSP, they're the ones that's worth supporting i say. -> ok the latter are the big studios but still.. yet it should show how rare it is to find an indie dev that's pro modding within or close to our genre of interest. given how few buy combat sims nowadayz.. probably only indie studios take on these games now.

just one of the examples from the other side here's what BoS thinks about modding

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/24559-there-modding-support/?p=378433

read between the lines. and he is somewhat open-minded still and probably due to public (a part of it anywayz) opinion given flight sims have a long history of modding.

now @pfunk you can hate me for lashing out you have every right. but if it gives a slightest chance for more devs willing to support modding (probably not tk i reckon at this point.. but maybe some others) i rest in peace:|

• Like 1

now @pfunk you can hate me for lashing out you have every right. but if it gives a slightest chance for more devs willing to support modding (probably not tk i reckon at this point.. but maybe some others) i rest in peace:|

I don't hate anyone and certainly not someone I've never met personally.  The topic seemed important, and rather than cause a stir, I simply removed the post and apologized.  If nothing else, this has served to remind me of something very simple.

This is just a video game.

So, no worries.  I'm not angry or anything.

Edited by PFunk