Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Calling FE Map Makers

A large collection of new, hi-res ground objects is nearing completion - see shot below.  I will add some more railroad stuff, plus some fences and hay stacks, then package it for testing.  Anyone interested in placing these new objects on an existing map for evaluation, lemme know and I'll send the package to you when it is ready - probably next weekend.

EDIT: the fortifications in the lower left corner - intended for the SCW - are still WIPs, and will not be part of the package.

post-39531-0-01153500-1490620999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4

Another shot below.  Stephen1918 once observed that TW gameworlds lack clutter, so I have added a few odds and ends to many of the models.  Also, I have made lots of atmosphere stuff like privies, 3D cows, utility poles, etc.  If this batch works OK, I'll make another batch dedicated to cities and fortifications, like the WIP shown in first shot.

post-39531-0-01299300-1490621993_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

All of these objects are incredible. I for one will use all of them. The only problem with the large "clutter" buildings and misc objects is the terrain tiles would have to be painted to accept the pattern the objects are laid out. Not that its really a problem but it does look better if the road tiles or town tiles are painted with dark areas where buildings will stand. If they just sit on the grassy areas they tend to look out of place. But I would make a few new town and road tiles to make a nice size town. More Fortifications would be great too. they were everywhere.

Thanks Geezer. Incredible work for sure.

Indeed!

Superb work!!

Thanks, guys.  I'm unexpectedly busy with real world stuff, but should be able to package them up and release them this weekend.  They will be 63% of actual size for First Eagles.  Baffmeister has many of the same buildings at 100% for his excellent Bulge mod - they will be available for Strike Fighters when he releases his magnum opus.

• Like 1

Top notch work!

They will be 63% of actual size for First Eagles.

I'm curious if (stock) First Eagles objects are really scaled down.

I could only check stock objects in First Eagle 2 since I don't own First Eagles 1.

In First Eagles 2 the stock objects seems to have real life size:

With the lodviewer I measured e.g the wheelbase of the Type J Lorry = 4.25 m (real life = 4.15m) or the length of the Beutepanzer IV = 7.88 (real life = 8.05)

Maybe someone can check some stock objects in First Eagles 1?

Good question.  I got the 63% from Wrench.  I know some ground object models are 100% so airfield objects don't look undersized compared to the aircraft.  Can any FE map makers shed some light on this?

Edited by Geezer

Got another question for the map makers.  I've completed a selection of walls and fences for the release, but they are made for level ground - see shot below.  For sloping ground, would variants angled at 5 degrees and 10 degrees have any utility or would they be useless?

post-39531-0-26950300-1490969741_thumb.jpg

..very usefull, as the terrain is seldom totally flat (and flattening sometimes looks weird)

hmmm.....I'm not sure on the "object size" being 63%. I know the terrain (maps) are.

I'd always thought the objects were 'real life' sized (or near enough)? 

Mue's measurements of truck seem to confirm that.

in the image below, the footprint for the stock SF objects is stated (meters). What I don't remember is, what the grid below spacing is

Wrench: we've been down this road before and the subject still lacks clarity.  Snippet below from earlier thread:

terrain objects are 1:1

which is why some things look off scale.

"Hat tip to Wrench for explaining this in an earlier post.  GROUND objects, such as buildings, are scaled down to 63% of original size but terrain objects are not. 

Stephen1918:

If you land a plane close to a city, you'll see that the buildings are quite a bit smaller than they should be. But that's OK because you usually just see them from the air. Objects you would find on an airfield are normal size because you do see them from the ground. Check out the trucks driving through a city."

Possible sources of the confusion are:

- Distinguishing between ground objects, terrain objects, and perhaps even combat units

- The stock games appear to have a mixture of both sizes

- Checking just a few combat units may not be a valid sample

- FE and SF game map systems are not identical

Shot below from screenshots thread shows the stock trees appear to be roughly in proportion to the stock buildings, but the trees appear to be too small when compared to the vehicles.  This suggests that objects are two different sizes: 63% and 100%.

post-39531-0-78445500-1491000521_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

I just posted the latest pack of hi-res Euro objects - more will be available in the future.  Because railroads are perfect targets for FE, I am working on many more related objects.  Most of the items in shot below are available in this or previous object packs.

post-39531-0-66471300-1491066181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 7

that is freeking AWESOME!!!!  :bowdown2:  :bowdown2:

Been playing around with some new stuff, and have a question for the map makers.  I thought I'd make some vehicles, wagons, soldiers, guns, etc that would be the same size as buildings.  That would avoid the visual mismatch between 100% ground units and 63% ground objects.  Still just playing around, but the intent would be to use the new stuff as stage props and place them in towns, beside barns, etc. 

Has anyone experimented with 63% combat units?  If so, do they function like full size ground units?

post-39531-0-54577700-1493392573_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm not sure of size but I do use all of Stephen1918s' infantry units and they appear to be just fine.

Are the troop columns of 15-16 troops going to be one object or is each soldier separate? If I may make a recommendation, make the long troop columns one object. would be great for placing around camps, roads, and even reinforcements approaching No-Mans-Land.

unlike what I've been told, I don't think size matters.  For in-game objects. :biggrin:  

With the proper data ini, it'd act like any other unit (truck, tanks, ships, goats, etc)

The old infantry units we have in SF/SF2 all act as one, considering their "one piece" lod. In theory, one could articulate them, like a snake or worm, but what would be the point?

I gotta say, those is some spectacular looking objects!!!  

• Like 1

I'm not sure of size but I do use all of Stephen1918s' infantry units and they appear to be just fine.

Are the troop columns of 15-16 troops going to be one object or is each soldier separate? If I may make a recommendation, make the long troop columns one object. would be great for placing around camps, roads, and even reinforcements approaching No-Mans-Land.

Yup, the large groups of soldiers are one single object.  I've already made two batches of French and German soldiers, each batch consists of a small, medium, and large group of figures.  Additionally, each figure will also be an individual LOD so the map maker can custom design a tableau on his map.  My thinking is to do the same for Austrian, Italian, and British (who look similar to US) figures - perhaps Russian figures also.

post-39531-0-83154200-1493493253_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 6

Really impressive new object Geezer. :good: :good: :good:

Many thanks!  :smile: