Skyviper

I'm going to war against a mole!

I'm trying to get my yard looking nice this year. I mean landscaping the flower bed, getting the weeds out. So far so good.

Where this a little bastard tunneling all over the place. Little punk has mounds of dirt all in the yard big, deep holes. I covered the holes back up, flattened tunnels, etc. He opened them up and re dug them. Okay fair enough. So I put moth balls down the holes and then covered them back up. He dug new tunnels and opened even more vents.

So I'm going to get some spectercide and dust my lawn with that stuff. Let it kill the grubs. Then I'm going to take what is left and pour it down his holes to prevent wasps and yellow jackets from moving in. Going to add more moth balls just in case a copper head wants to move into there as well.

That's my battle plan so far. If you have any suggestions or corrections let me know. I am also considering a way to execute what I like to call the "Caddyshack Method"

For the bright side of things. I saw a painted bunting fly over my house. I'm hoping it will visit my feeders again this year.

There should be electric "scaremoles" which emit ultrasonic sound that scares them off. We have such I remember.

Or just use cage traps made for rats and similar creatures... or perhaps flood all the tunnels. Maybe that also works

To this subject i want to tell a short story. It reminds me on an anti-mole-crusade during my military time.

But be warned: DO NOT IMITATE! DO NOT TRY THIS!

It was in summer 1989, when the commander of the helicopter squadron, where i served out my time, was very angry to see the grassland of the airfield (only the take off places, rollways and parking spaces were covered by concrete) was doted over and over with molehills (hope this is the correct english term).

So he gave out the order to flatten all molehills to a fistfull of technicians of the squadron. I, as member of the staff, was part of the anti-mole-task-force.

Surely the commander had had in mind, that we would go to the airfield, armed with shouvels, spades and rakes and would flatten the molehills.

But this was an officers idea. What means nonsense!

The anti-mole-task-force consited entirely of Seargents, what means, real smart guys and we knew from first moment, that the idea of the commander was rubbish. Of course we could flatten the molehills, but how effective it would be? The mole would LOL at us and as fast as we could flatten the molehills, he would form new ones.

So it was clear, we must kill all moles at the airfield first.

The weapon of our choice was gas. Propane gas.

Two of us were sent to the barracks cantine to "organize" a propane gasbottle, which was in east germany a very massive red colored steel bottle. One other guy was sent to the armoury to "organize" an electrical remoted fuse.

Of course it was easy for sergeants to organize everything and so we had all we needed very fast.

The propane was filled into a molehole, what needed some time. Then we waited a while, that the propane could spread into the mole tunnel network. Then we set in the fuse.

One called: "Achtung Sprengung!" (Fire in the hole!"), pressed the button and then we saw, how the earth jumped into the air, where the moletunnels were situated.

It was impressive. (It seemed to be that we luckily reached the optimal stoichiometric ratio of propane and air.)

And then we saw, how the exlosion into the tunnels were racing toward the fuel storage.

"Ach Du Scheiße!" (Holy sh*t!), was our common outcry. Than we started to run, to prevent what could prevented. Of course we were to slow, the fire in the mole tunnels was much faster than we could run. But then we were very lucky. Some meters before reaching the fuel storage the firestorm into the moletunnels was over. All of the gas was burned. Nothing happend with the fuel storage. Luck. Simply luck.

Could have had a bad ending. And how we would have explaned if, if we would had explode our fuel storage during our anti-mole-war?

Dont know.

But one good end it had, there were no moles left after our anti-mole-crusade.

I want to say it again: DO NOT IMITATE! DO NOT TRY THIS!

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 7

Well here's my Caddyshack option. I'm talking to the owner of the company. He's saying there may a talliwacker version of this. Take cafe of ISIS you know.... just kidding. Seriously this dude is awesome. By the way this product is made in America. In the heart of Idaho.

Have you considered a mole trap?  https://youtu.be/6amLwKXHm6w

As far as the flame broiled mole trick, you could have just filled the tunnels with the propane without lighting it.  That would have suffocated them.  You would still need to be careful that the gas didn't get near an ignition source and vent it out later when your kids or pets were not in the yard.

I'm supporting the Vietmole.

Ahh you guys.... what a moleocaust :rofl:

• Like 1

Oh, vet stories from the Great Rodent War? Me wants in!

Turns out we had a cold wave or something this winter. It snowed after like 70 years on Cartagena, my hometown, on the shore of the mediterranean. I was in the dining room with my family and girlfriend, recovering after screwing up my collarbone, when i saw that big ass rat crawling by the chimney, taking shelter from the cold or something. When i called it up, everybody scrambled out of the room, while i came unto the rodent, to, say befriend it. Having the civilians evacuated to the kitchen, this limp paratrooper, with the encouragement, moral support and technical advise of out family Navy representative (dad), got to kill the rat. After having my airsoft G36 jam on me (had neglected it for about 2 years to be fair) and trying to impale it with a walking cane, i had to crush it under my boot. The psycoest fun i had during sick leave that winter.

However, it did not end there. The rat had dug a hole in the lawn and i was concerned that it may be a sanctuary to more RatCharlies, so i decided to napalm the shit out of it. My parents just were about to pave it anyway, so they told me to leave it alone. But like i said, i was bored to hell. So when they were both at work, i went out shopping and came back with a bottle of zippo gas and a box of firecrakers. The biggest i found, they were like dynamite sticks. So a poured the bottle of gas down the hole and dropped one of the firecrackers. I didn´t here it thump, only had a burst of flames erupt from the hole and lots of smoke coming up from the ground. The stench was unbearable. The little kids of the Moroccan family across the street, wich should have been at school, were laughing their asses looking from their window, while i was pumped out with this "fuckfuckfuck i did it again" feeling. 

I hosed down the hole trying to put the smoke out, only to have it turn from black to white, a dense, even stinkier cloud of steam coming up. It was taking forever. Just as i had this feeling "somebody saw me do it, or is just about to" i had this lovely granny, a couple of houses down the street, walk by back from buying some groceries and stop to chat, asking me about my injury "Nah, im doing better" while i pretend to be watering the grass wich still had some snow on it while casually ignoring the cloud of smoke flying a block away, the stench and the puffs of smoke coming out of the ground.  

• Like 1

Oh an update on my situation. I decided to go with the MacArthur method and starve the enemy. I covered my yard with grub killing granules. Expecting rain to come down, pound the stuff into the dirt and kill the  moles food source.

Trump had a nice idea which could work :

947911468_B9711721372Z.1_20170413204025_

Well I shut mole activity down in one sector of my yard. I'm gong to see what the activity is else where.