Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Anthony Fokker's Movie Footage...

Film shot at Jasta 6 in 1918 by Fokker himself. Apparently, Fokker's film is being shown in an auditorium somewhere and someone films the film. The person narrating can be seen walking to the screen and pointing out various things, for example, Hermann Goering had the edge of his cockpit cut down lower because he had been shot through the hip and had trouble swinging his leg up and over. The biggest problem is the sound quality and the narrator sounds like he's standing at the bottom of a very deep wastebasket.

Edited by Hauksbee
  • Like 1

Thanks for that very interesting

I was interested to hear the narrator refer to an "airplane driver" which is what we used to call our pilots to annoy them :biggrin:

I was most interested in what he had to say about von Richtofen, particularly how he landed his plane after he had been shot in the head. Pretty slick (if true) listening for the sound of the wind through the trees, then the wind through the grass. I would think that the sound of the engine (and rotaries run at full rpm's, unless blipped) would drown out soft sounds like wind through trees. Still, it's a good story, and why should we let cold reality get in the way? I wonder if Jim Miller has heard this story?

The narration about MvR's landing after being wounded--the stuff about being blind all the way to the ground, hearing wind in the trees, then hearing wind in the grass--is utter horse hockey nonsense. Get in car, drive it just 20 mph, stick your head out the window, and then tell me how much wind you hear in the grass. Hell, ride a bicycle 20 mph and tell me how much wind you hear in the grass. It's all in your ears. Even if that claim weren't physically wrong, there isn't a single shred of corroborative historical evidence to support such a contention as regards MvR. It's so wrong that it couldn't be mistaken understanding of what really happened. Instead, somewhere along the line, somebody made it up.     

Disregard every syllable of that narration concerning MvR's wounding, such as his wound "never stopped bleeding the rest of the war." Discounting MvR didn't even live until the end of the war, the statement is based on no historical evidence and contrary to medical evidence. All the comments about things MvR "had never done before" on his last flight are so flagrantly inaccurate, it's astounding. Though the narrator can't be blamed entirely, he's just restating the unresearched nonsense that has been published for decades.  If you want to learn about what really happened when MvR was wounded 6 July 1917, and the effects thereafter, the most factually accurate and detailed accounts are in my MvR books. Eschewing modesty and just saying, for the sake of historical accuracy. 

Edited by JFM

I just re-read my last post. I then edited it to tone it down a bit, because I didn't want it to be confused as a personal attack on the narrator. I imagine he was narrating to the best of his ability, with information he believed to be correct. That it is not correct was the point of my post. Perhaps I'll look up Mr. Permann and send him some MvR book so that he may rewrite the MvR portions of his narration. I can't comment on the full hour's narration, because I just FFed to the MvR part since I own this footage and knew right where it was that Hauksbee was talking about. 

Thanks, Jim. I thought it sounded too good to be true.