Sign in to follow this  
waterloo

Problem with First Eagles, Not running

Hi Guy's

I just dug out my old copy of First Eagles 1918, and the dam thing won't work properly, There is a lot of Lag/Stutter? Tried it in all compatibility modes from ME to win 8 and all modes are the same. Is there a fix for this anywhere, or does anybody know how to fix it. 

Les

Hello friend,

The following settings under the Options.ini file, in the user folder for FE2, give me excellent frame rates with no stutter. Also good is to tone down the graphics settings in the game menu to "medium." My suggestions are of course for FE2, which uses two processor cores. FE1/FEgold are not multi-core, so my advice may not be as effective there, although it doesn't hurt to tinker with the settings. At any rate, FE2 has always had better frame rates than FE1/gold even without tinkering:

http://combatace.com/topic/16272-ini-tweaks-and-changes/?p=732698

Happy flying,

Von S

Waterloo,

Are you running FE1 or FE2?  What is your current Windows operating system?

Hello friend,

The following settings under the Options.ini file, in the user folder for FE2, give me excellent frame rates with no stutter. Also good is to tone down the graphics settings in the game menu to "medium." My suggestions are of course for FE2, which uses two processor cores. FE1/FEgold are not multi-core, so my advice may not be as effective there, although it doesn't hurt to tinker with the settings. At any rate, FE2 has always had better frame rates than FE1/gold even without tinkering:

http://combatace.com/topic/16272-ini-tweaks-and-changes/?p=732698

Happy flying,

Von S

Thank You VonS, Will give it a try.

Waterloo,

Are you running FE1 or FE2?  What is your current Windows operating system?

Hi Czech6, I'm running FE1, My OS is Win 8.1 updated to Win 10 (by Microsoft) 

just to let you all know, I moved this thread from The Pub to here, as it'll be seen more often by those that can assist.

Enjoy!

Waterloo,

That's your problem, FE1 doesn't run on Windows 7, 8, or 10.  That's why TK reprogramed SF1 to the SF2 series when Windows 7 came out.  You can purchase and download FE2 really cheap and it will run on Windows 10.  I would suggest you do that. 

Thanks Czech6 

just to let you all know, I moved this thread from The Pub to here, as it'll be seen more often by those that can assist.

Enjoy!

Cheers Boss :biggrin: 

Hi VonS,

​Looked into my Options ini, only i don't have any of the options you suggest in there, So might just stick them in and see what happens, nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say. :beee:  

I'm running FE Gold on Windows 7 - I had to install an older version of Direct X, I don't remember which one, 9 I think.

I'm running FE Gold on Windows 7 - I had to install an older version of Direct X, I don't remember which one, 9 I think.

Yes, I tried that as well, and yes it is DX9, but win 10 rejects it and say's that a newer version is already installed 

No joy with your suggestions, Guess I will give up now. and call it a day :bad:

waterloo

1. Download this one here -> http://enbdev.com/download_mod_nbalive08.htm

2. Extract into a temporary folder

3. Within this temporary folder there's a file called D3D9.DLL

4. Copy this file (D3D9.DLL) into your FE folder (like 'c:\programs\first eagles')

...going further you might like to experiment with the ENB series. But for the first step, e.g. making the game work again, this should be enough.

rgds

waterloo

1. Download this one here -> http://enbdev.com/download_mod_nbalive08.htm

2. Extract into a temporary folder

3. Within this temporary folder there's a file called D3D9.DLL

4. Copy this file (D3D9.DLL) into your FE folder (like 'c:\programs\first eagles')

...going further you might like to experiment with the ENB series. But for the first step, e.g. making the game work again, this should be enough.

rgds

Hi gterl Do I have to install the programme first. before I can find D3D9DLL?

Hi gterl Do I have to install the programme first. before I can find D3D9DLL?

You don't Need NBA-Live (the game) obviously. But the ENB driver was created for that game

Just download the file at the ENBSeries website. The file is called 'enbseries_nbalive_v0075.zip'.

Extract above mentioned ZIP-File into a temporary folder and copy the D3D9.DLL file out of that temporary folder into your FE directory (and yes FE has to be installed first obviously, otherwise you wouldn't have an FE folder)

..hope this helps. I had the same problem and this procedure can be applied to every SF game

PS: Since the above DLL is just a 'wrapper' for the operating system DX engine and not a 100% replacement, this shows that MS messed up the backward compatibility of DX. Funny thing is, that the ENB wrapper is even more performing than the MS one (compared with games where the backward compatibility actually works). Measurement was made with a special debug program and it clearly showed the non-performing parts of the MS DX part. Go figure! But hey ..MS doesn't care one bit. Thankfully we've ppl like Boris (creator of ENB).

Edited by gterl

gterl, YOU are a gentleman sir, put the dx9 into the FE folder, and it's WORKING, can't thank you enough for taking the time to help out this old fella. OK, lets go do some flying. :biggrin:  

Another question if I may, what is the ENB series?

Quote from the website: What is it - ENBSeries is the project of graphic modifications for games. The main idea is to allow every gamer to configure how game looks like for their own taste, so every player could share settings with others. Many games may look much better and ENBSeries is the easiest way to improve them. If there is no ENBSeries version for game you wish to modify, just try several avalable, may be one of them will work.

PS: Forgot to mention...since now MS is pushing their updates (you have basically no joyce concerning updates), breaking the functionality of old games is iminent. BUT with the above strategy you're actually detached from major future headaches. Strictly speaking the game becomes 'portable' once installed.

Sorry Guy's, I'm back again, Is their a wide screen fix for FE1?  My monitor is a 1920 X 1080, 16.9. but I have to run the game on 1024 X 768, standard 4.3 or it won't shut down properly. I know that IL-2 1946 have one for their mod's, so I was just wondering if we had one as well.