Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Fokker parts: Mix n' Match...

I stumbled across a reference to the Fokker D.VI; 'didn't know there was such a plane, so I googled it and found that there almost wasn't. Wikipedia described it as having a Dr.1 body matched to a "scaled down set of Fokker D.VII wings". The Dr.1 reference I can understand, seeing as any rotary/radial engine affixed to a Fokker welded steel boxy fuselage is going to look Dr.1-ish. Especially if you add the Dr.1 cowl. But how did the Dr.VII wings get on a D.VI? Were they in development together?

In any event, only a handful of D.VI's were built. When the D.VII came on line, the D.VI's were retired or sent to training squadrons.

COMPOSITE.jpg

i think it was developed as a fallback in case the D,VII failed or there was a serious disruption to D,VII production. I think some went into service but from what I can remember mostly as trainers?

Two V13 (D6) took part at the Adlershof fighter trails jan/febr 1918, besides the Superieur V11 (D7) Only a few jastas did use this plane (jasta84) and After the arrival of the D7 all went to trainings duties. It is indeed the Dr1 in combination with a wing design, that were later also being used by the D7 or were used from the D7, here it become unclear to me.

From the handbook Fighters 1914-19 K. Munson.

Edited by Dutch_P47M

The Wikipedia article that sparked this query described the D.VI thusly: "These aircraft combined a set of scaled-down D.VII wings with a fuselage and empennage closely mirroring those of the earlier Dr.I." The implication being that the D.VII existed before the D.VI. Of course, the D.VI could have been on the drawing board first and set aside, or, both planes created in parallel.

Actually the DVIII or EV fuselage and empennage is very similar to the DR1 also, but of course the wing is entirely different.

Beardd