Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

@Wrench: PT boat weps

Hey Kevin,

Here's a late Higgens boat, with a 37 and a 20 mm on the foredeck, the standard 2X twin 50s, a 40 mm on the fantail, an additional  20 mm just forward of that, four torps on lightweight racks, 2 (MK7?) depth charges, and 5" rocket racks, port & starboard!

Hs-015-1.jpg

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 2

The ensign on the bow is massively appropriate despite any historical accuracy.

Thanks for the papa tango post.

CL

Should be good enough to beat the Somalian pirates, I think.  :grin: 

Well then we can't have too many MK-21 Mod 0s then.

Mk%2021%20Mod%200%20R4%204.jpg

220px-Browning_M1919_Cal_.30.jpg

CL

Or sink Japanese destroyers, submarines, and armored Daihatsu barges in the Pacific Theater, not to mention one Nazi Corvette, numerous F-lighters, and at least two Schnell boats in the Med.

Oh, and a brace of PT boats held off a wave of Japanese strike aircraft near the Solomon Islands, in broad daylight, downing at least three of them.

that 37 is most definately from a P-39 -- that's how their magazines were in that weird circular shape

• Like 1

it will have a 40mm single on the bow and a twin 40mm on the rear  

Uh, no way.

The fore deck on the Elco and Higgens boats were not reinforced for that sort of weight, and field mods were limited to lighter weapons, such as 20 mm or the even lighter (weight) 37 mm scrounged from a P-39 

For example, the Oerlikon 20 mm weighed about 400 lbs fully loaded on a fixed tripod mount, and just over 600 lbs when mounted on a reinforced pedestal. 

A single Bofors L60 40mm weighed in at just a hair over 1000 lbs on its pedestal mount, which is why it was limited to being mounted near the fantail, where the flatter sections of a PT's running bottom would still provide enough dynamic lift to allow the boat to achieve planing speed in a reasonable amount of time, and not adversely affect its top speed. It also required a crew of four to man it.

So that being said, a twin 40 mm mount would probably push 2,200 lbs (or more, as the powered quad 40 mounts on BBs and CAs weighed in at over 25,000 lbs!), and would undoubtedly effect the boat's ability to plane off.

Also, due to the sharp entry on either Elco or Higgens hulls, even a single 40 mm mount would probably cause what's referred to as "bow steer". That's where either hull's sharp entry would catch on a wave, and cause the bow to dart to either side.  

I have some experience with bow steer.  I once ran a 55-foot sports fisherman, that displaced just over 40 tons, or about half the weight of a loaded PT boat. The owner had replaced its original, bow mounted 15 foot RIB, with a 17 foot Boston Whaler, and just that additional 500 lbs on the fore deck was enough to burn out the auto-pilot's steering motor. In fact, the boat ran so much better with no weight on the bow, that I made him remove the dingy completely when we were running out of our home port.

Here's an image of the '109, showing it's stern mounted 20 mm Oerlikon on a reinforced pedestal.  Note the additional deck reinforcement beneath the pedestal itself.

2nelson02.jpg

Now, an interesting weapon, was the Elco "Thunderbolt",  which featured quad Oerlikons, with either dual or even quad .50 cals on either side.  Talk about a shit storm!

TBoltPT160.jpg

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 2

Uh, no way.

The fore deck on the Elco and Higgens boats were not reinforced for that sort of weight, and field mods were limited to lighter weapons, such as 20 mm or the even lighter (weight) 37 mm scrounged from a P-39 

For example, the Oerlikon 20 mm weighed about 400 lbs fully loaded on a fixed tripod mount, and just over 600 lbs when mounted on a reinforced pedestal. 

A single Bofors L60 40mm weighed in at just a hair over 1000 lbs on its pedestal mount, which is why it was limited to being mounted near the fantail, where the flatter sections of a PT's running bottom would still provide enough dynamic lift to allow the boat to achieve planing speed in a reasonable amount of time, and not adversely affect its top speed. It also required a crew of four to man it.

So that being said, a twin 40 mm mount would probably push 2,200 lbs (or more, as the powered quad 40 mounts on BBs and CAs weighed in at over 25,000 lbs!), and would undoubtedly effect the boat's ability to plane off.

Also, due to the sharp entry on either Elco or Higgens hulls, even a single 40 mm mount would probably cause what's referred to as "bow steer". That's where either hull's sharp entry would catch on a wave, and cause the bow to dart to either side.  

I have some experience with bow steer.  I once ran a 55-foot sports fisherman, that displaced just over 40 tons, or about half the weight of a loaded PT boat. The owner had replaced its original, bow mounted 15 foot RIB, with a 17 foot Boston Whaler, and just that additional 500 lbs on the fore deck was enough to burn out the auto-pilot's steering motor. In fact, the boat ran so much better with no weight on the bow, that I made him remove the dingy completely when we were running out of our home port.

Here's an image of the '109, showing it's stern mounted 20 mm Oerlikon on a reinforced pedestal.  Note the additional deck reinforcement beneath the pedestal itself.

2nelson02.jpg

Now, an interesting weapon, was the Elco "Thunderbolt",  which featured quad Oerlikons, with either dual or even quad .50 cals on either side.  Talk about a shit storm!

TBoltPT160.jpg

it was built that way,,having 2 deck gun mounts,, I had a hell of a time ridding the 40mm off the front,, it didn't look right and made me sea sick watching the guy up front,, it is a easy fix if you end up playing it., I modded the files that are in the downloadable Pt-109 so you do have a dual 40mm mount in the rear which acts like deck gun and makes short work of destroyers,, I have threads in subsim.com how to get it to work in campaign and to fix weapon mounts except the butt ugly 20mm mounts.

Wow they finally did the PT mod for SH-4 ?

CL

The boat has been around for years, built and not finished,, the guns worked ,, as AA and deck guns,, but no torps it took me months to get torps up and running I passed the information along in subsim ,, Bismarck got if up loaded into downloads in it's present state,, and I finally after years of tinkering got it to work in campaign..

• Like 1