Sign in to follow this  
freddienet

Can't get helicopters to install

I am following the directions about dragging and copying and I am somewhat frustrated.

The install directions leave a little to be desired. Perhaps for us new guys the directions from now on could be a little more user friendly. Copy folders to aircraft folder, copy sounds to sound folder is a no brainer but what about the other files in the root folder of the zip?

Seems to me the huge amount of time spent on doing these projects could be tremendous if a little extra installation directions were forth coming. Or let someone else make an executable.

I don't think I would design a database without giving very specific directions on how to use it.

I teach database design and you must sometimes hand hold the users.

Thanks for any help.

Freddie

Which helicopter(s) in particular?

If you are talking about the AH-1J Beta when you extract the AH_1J folder from the RAR dump that whole folder into Objects/Aircraft.

Note: you will have to rename it to AH-1J as that is what all the .inis reference not AH_1J.

I tried several different helicopters. Maybe you can help me concerning the files that are in the root folder of the extracted files. Where do they go? I will drag the entire folder. Do the helicopters just work in campaigns or will they work in single missions.

Thanks for the reply.

Freddie

I tried several different helicopters.

Please be specific as to which.

They should work in single missions but will only work in campaigns if they have been written into them.

i downloaded the AH-1W followed the readme file but found no sounds to put in the sounds folder. so i have a flyable cobra but no engine sounds.

Please, please, please. Another example of a guy having trouble ( no sound with helicopter). I got the same issues with Solomon islands in 2 planes. Don't remember which ones. Haven't played solomons since. The guys that do all this wonderful work, could save themselves some follow up time if they would just put more specific add on directions. Please, this is not a complaint but a suggestion. I bow to all your expertise and patience, but for us to enjoy your many hours of hard work, it must be easy to install, or we just give up, just as I did with the helicopter problem that I had. I bought a used copy of comache and long bow on Ebay because I am just not into trying to fix folder and file problems. I got the Comache sim thursday and played for several hours. I was offered problem solution help, and I really appreciate that, but it just is frustrating. I am into playing in short bursts of time so the time for problem resolution just isn't there. I would gladly pay a few bucks from my ebay account if I could get the folders and files correctly done so i could just jump in and fly.

Freddie

Edited by freddienet

I'm another with a flyable, but silent Huey.

BUFF, when you say:

Note: you will have to rename it to AH-1J as that is what all the .inis reference not AH_1J.
that is just the sort of thing that Freddienet is getting at. Most users can download and most can drag and drop, but it really shouldn't be necessary to rename things to make them work.

Guest capun
I'm another with a flyable, but silent Huey.

BUFF, when you say:

that is just the sort of thing that Freddienet is getting at. Most users can download and most can drag and drop, but it really shouldn't be necessary to rename things to make them work.

Somehow the file got renamed to AH_1J.rar, I uploaded AH-1J.rar

I am reloading it one time.

Also, do you know what Beta means? It means use at your own risk.

If you want detailed, step by step, newbie instructions how to install it, then start paying my hourly rate.

I charge $35 and hours to service computers and that is very cheap.

Please, please, please. Another example of a guy having trouble ( no sound with helicopter). I got the same issues with Solomon islands in 2 planes. Don't remember which ones. Haven't played solomons since. The guys that do all this wonderful work, could save themselves some follow up time if they would just put more specific add on directions. Please, this is not a complaint but a suggestion. I bow to all your expertise and patience, but for us to enjoy your many hours of hard work, it must be easy to install, or we just give up, just as I did with the helicopter problem that I had. I bought a used copy of comache and long bow on Ebay because I am just not into trying to fix folder and file problems. I got the Comache sim thursday and played for several hours. I was offered problem solution help, and I really appreciate that, but it just is frustrating. I am into playing in short bursts of time so the time for problem resolution just isn't there. I would gladly pay a few bucks from my ebay account if I could get the folders and files correctly done so i could just jump in and fly.

Freddie

Give me a break !!

Go download another helicopter and get the sound file from it.

Once I start charging for my models then you guys can complain about it. Do you know what it takes to do a model? Getting the 3D model, textures, loading maps and FM ready? And to write some basic install instructions? And all of that for free?

Sheesh!!

To have the helicopters to appear in the single mission selection screens you need to play around with the way the directory is named before either WOV or SFP1 will recognize them. For example I had downloaded the UH-1 and had created an aircraft directory named "Huey". However, it didn't appear in my aircraft selections. After going through 4 different versions of the UH-1 names I finally found out that I had to name it "UH-1E" to make it appear. Try the same thing with the helicopters that you have downloaded.

None of the helicopters will appear in any of the campagins in WOV, they will only appear in the mercenary campaign of SPF1 and only if you buy it. Also check to see what sort of sound association there is in the data_ini file. Their may not be one, the creators of this 3rd party free ware may be looking for someone else to create a file or may not have the premission to use someone else's work in thier work.

remember to check that your decompression program didn't accidently create nesting directories when you move from the compressed file over to your game. I have had that happen on occasion and had to chase down in places such as the effects folder, which is where your sounds are contained for the guns, rockets and etc. The same has been true for me in other folders.

Most people that create mods for games such as this one usually create completely seperate directories along with completely seperate main program directories. That way if they create something that causes thier testing program to crash they aren't completely out of luck and have to go thorugh and re-install everything to keep playing. So they forget about sometimes to rename things to make them easier for others to use thier work. They take a wild assumption that you sort of know what is going on with files and directories and how to navigate around a computer. I have found it a heck of a lot easier to create a directory that I unzip everything that I download from here and other sites into, then I sort out and copy and drag on over to the game directory.

Just the same most modders don't have any idea what your computer is set up like nor do they know how you have setup the game. So they can't build thier work to fit everyone's system. They are hoping that when they do create thier work it will be able to work on 95% of people's computers. So give them some slack when you complain about thier work. Most of the people here are creating things out of thier love for the games and for free. They all do have day jobs like the rest of us.

Agamemnon: This Sikorsky Dragonfly at Combat Ace includes the heli.wav soundfile you need. :)

Just drag and drop the heli.wav from its Sounds directory into the game's main Sounds folder if you don't want the whole aircraft.

Hope that helps.

Edited by dhasdell

Somehow the file got renamed to AH_1J.rar, I uploaded AH-1J.rar

I have a suspicion that the file compression utility (are you using WinRAR?) does this when it compresses the file or the upload process at CombatACE does it - I've seen it too often for it to be a coincidence imo.

I charge over $100 per hour and would never attempt to put a product anywhere, free or not, without proper instructions. I tried 4 helicopters and only 1 worked. I'm going back to Falcon 4.0, CFS3 and Over Flanders Fields. I appreciate all the hard work but before you post a file, you should ask someone to follow the posted directions and see if they can do it. If not reconsider posting it or modify the directions.

By,

Freddie

Guest capun
I have a suspicion that the file compression utility (are you using WinRAR?) does this when it compresses the file or the upload process at CombatACE does it - I've seen it too often for it to be a coincidence imo.

Buff

I went back and look at my WinRar files, they are named correctly. Could it be the uploade utility that is doing it?

I charge over $100 per hour and would never attempt to put a product anywhere, free or not, without proper instructions. I tried 4 helicopters and only 1 worked. I'm going back to Falcon 4.0, CFS3 and Over Flanders Fields. I appreciate all the hard work but before you post a file, you should ask someone to follow the posted directions and see if they can do it. If not reconsider posting it or modify the directions.

By,

Freddie

Suit yourself, Don't like it , don't download it

I went back and look at my WinRar files, they are named correctly. Could it be the uploade utility that is doing it?

That or the database I guess.

I'm clueless with regard to that sort of stuff so I'll ask Erik to have a look when he has time.