Sign in to follow this  
snapple2993

I NEED TO QUIT SMOKING!!! HELP!!!

I'm smoking as I type this. Damn.

Alright here's the dilema. I'm saving for my decks and mixer, and every week I drop 20 something bucks on a carton of Marlboro Mediums. I work as a Pizza delivery guy, and I make pretty good money, but I'm spending like 100 dollars a month on smokes + gas everytime I buy cigs, so its ike 50/60 bucks outa my checking acount everytime I do this. I should've had enough money by the end of January, but now it looks like the end of February is the new date.

Not to mention I used to run 3 miles a day in HS, and now I get winded walking up the stairs to get to my classes. I think if I tried to run a mile now... I would DIE. Oh yeah I cant play hockey anymore becuase all of the movements required by a goalie, make me wanna puke (oh and I have tendonitis everywhere). Who nows maybe nicotine dries out the lubrication in joints.

HELP ME PLEASE. Everytime I try to quit I get to day 3 and I snap. I can make it on 3 cigs a day (barely), but then the pack goes stale and its a waste of money.

DAMN YOU BIG TOBACCO... DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL (Alabama).

get some of those wonderful nictoine patches man, lol.. I dont know, instead of smoking when u crave one, pop in some candy or something that might help.. I dont really know. :? good luck on that prize of urs. :D btw u get good money as a pizza boy(guy)? I work at toco bell and I get paid 7 an hour.. pretty low.. for 16. but I get free food which is a + :)

Ok,I just quit..as in a month and a 4 days ago.

first decide are you serious? if so set a day..about a week in advance and thats the day,no changing your mind. go spend the money you would normally on a carton of smokes and get patches,if you have a Wal-mart near you get their house brand,same as others-less money,and a bag or 2 of hard candy.I will tell you the first morning is toughest..and the 3rd day is bad.I figured it up and I'll save over 1200.00 on cigs. a year!

Can you do it? I smoked for almost 30 years(i quit in basic,and once again about 5 years ago,just to prove I could then started back after not smoking for a week.)and I quit. tell you what you want some moral support e-mail me US95Dagger@yahoo.com and I'll be the cheering section,I'm still on the second phase of patches,as I started with the 21 mg patches,just started 14 mg.

Let me if I can help..trust me you'll start noticing differences after about 2 weeks...food tastes better,and things smell better.

Oh yeah..I smoke a carton a week..do the math 30.00 a week,plus some every now and then.and thats just smokes,no gas.

I have 39 cigarettes left as of now. I'm going to quit after those are through (should be friday, as I have cut down to a little over pack the last few weeks).

Oh man its gonna be hard. I still live with my dad (he smokes 5 packs a day), all of my friends smoke, and oh man its gonna be tough. I think I'll go cold turkey as long as I can and then go get the patches (if I need them).

BTW gum works for me, especially after its lost its flavor, then you can chew the craving away.

I cant wait to see the look on that Paki's face when I go into Texaco just to buy gas (he reaches for cigarettes everytime I walk in the door).

Guest Ranger332

if ya going to do it do it right tossum----start now :shock:

This might help you some.

I'm 62, been smoking since i was 10. Came back from the Doc's two days ago and he said: I'm only thaking about 2/3 rds of the air i should into my body. and i have the beginnings of Emphesima (spelling) or ashma in my lungs. And if i continue to smoke, i won't be able to walk across a small parking lot without help. So, think on that next time you want a smoke.

I've tried the patches (still have some) and frankly they don't work for me. I guess its cold turkey (nightmanre for sure). I'm down to about a 1/2 pack per day and only trying to smoke half of those. Its not easy at all.

This thread might be good for me to track also.

Tell u what, if u want, we'll go on the honor system. next time you smoke, you have to post it here! I'll do the same (this could get to be a long thread! LOL. Not saying cold turkey but at least if u have to report it, it may help.....

What do u say?

savagkc

Friday sounds like a good day for me too (i should be out of them by then - LOL).

OK, so its a done deal. Friday AM, no more smoking, any backsliding, has to be reported.

Scouts honor!!

savagkc

PS: Maybe a new msg, each time or Madjeff could run out of space!!!!

As a lifelong non-smoker, ok well does dope count? :shock: , I wish you all the best of luck.

I quite drinking cold turkey, but that is not quite the same. And besides, I can have a beer every now and then without backsliding to the way I drank in my twenties.

on monday in aug i caught a cold by friday i couldn't breath an was in the hosp. spent 5 days there getting treatments and oxygen, the docs had names for what was wrong but it dont matter. while i was in the hosp. i was put in a room with a gentleman who couldn't hardly get his breath, none of us got any sleep that night. about 2 hrs after they moved him to icu that moring he passed away. when she came to see me i told my wife that i wasn't going to die like that and we havent smoked one since and both of us were heavy smokers.i've been told by the docs that in 5 to 7 yrs my lungs might clear up, if i'm luckly. i started young and smoked hard but i'm only 48 yrs old and might have to walk around with a oxygen tank for the rest of my days. so quit i dont care how but do it now. best of luck.

OK if I can make it yall can!

Lets do the math

1 carton of cigs. $30.00 thats per week.

1 month saving= $120.00

1 year= $1440.00

Now this doesn't include matches,or lighters. and of course extra gas when you run out and have to make an extra trip to store.

It's been alittle over a month and I'm just starting to feel the benefits..my sinus problems are better,and food tastes better.

so can you use an extra say $1500.00 free cash?

come on guys and gals...join me and be a quitter! :D

$1500.00 bucks can buy a pretty good PC these days or one heck of a CPU upgrade if thats all u need!

Decent downpayment on a new car!

A trip to the Bahamas !

A present for your spouse(?)!

A new fishing boat!

What would you buy??

Watch out for: Danger Points of Quitting Smoking:

Waking up.

After a meal.

With coffee.

Stressful situations.

Having a drink with the guys.

After Sex.

Others??

savagkc

Snapple, Here is what I wrote to Dagger when he said he was quitting. Dont know if it made any sense to him or not, he never said. Maybe it will to you. You are fortunate my freind, you think it is tough to quit now, wait till you smoked or chewed for 20 years. Take a look at some of the cancer patients' pics in the links on the following website link. It scared the hell outta me to look at them. Bottom line dude, you got to be tough, nothin in this life is easy thats worth a damn.

"Hey Dagger, chewed copenhagen for 22 years. Quit 7 years ago, and except for a few short relapses, finally quit for good 4 years ago. Still wouldnt mind a chew. Its a bit tough when your doing something you associate with it but it can be done. Ya just grit yur teeth and do it. I also learned not to bash myself if I relapsed, it happens. I would just quit again, which of course meant going thru withdrawals again. It was that realization that helped me to finally put a kibosh to the chewin.

I also started chewing non tabbacco mint chew which helped some as a placebo. You might check out this webpage...http://www.quittobacco.com/. They sell the mint chew and have some quit smoking programs.

And whatever you do, DONT replace smoking with eating! Exercise instead. One last thing...asking the Good Lord for a little help never hurt either, I KNOW he walked with me thru all the ups and downs...

I hope I helped. I am real glad I quit. I still find myself grinning from time to time. Feels good not to be a slave to no one or nothing."

Godspeed buddy...

I dont eat much anyway, and I need to get back into shape, just wish I had my F*CKING lungs back, anybody know if cardio speeds up the lung cleaning process?

I feel for you guys, I quit a year ago on new years.Not to scare you but if you think day three is a bitch wait till you hit month three. Something about threes , around month nine was tough as well.

Hopefully you can stick with it , best of luck.

Tiwaz

hey congrats..now comes the hard part.I have been taking a dietary supplement(it has ginko biloba,ginseng,and garlic in it)and I started to walk alot.I have started to notice a difference already.a couple things you notice pretty quick,First you're feeling a slight tug from behind as your wallet has alot more money in it..second i have alot more energy,and food tastes so much better and you'll notice you'll smell things that you didn't before.

A good thing to do is ask your doctor about supplements and excercise programs.

I have been quit 1 month and 2 weeks...and I have $180.00 in my savings that I've saved already!

Remember I quit and I smoked 2 packs aday for over 20 years.

I just wanted to tell you guys how great it is to see this kind of thing on the forums. I feel honored I could provide a place that everyone can support each other in this most important of resolutions. :D Keep up the great work people!

snapple, tomorrow is our D-Day!

I'm going to put a patch on before i get out of bed.

MadJeff, thanks for giving us the room to do this even if it not about planes.

Now, if only my wife (she dont smoke) can put up with me!!! Course, i might have to sleep on the couch.

Charge!

savagkc

I have 8 cigarettes left, and thats the way it is going to stay.

Damn I forgot to buy gum, ill get some after Biology, sugarless of course!

No need to trade one stimulant for another.

SKIPPER if your reading this... remember tommorrow is your D-Day too.

And, yes, thank you Jeff for giving us this forum, we will try to keep it as short as possible.

I think if I can make it a week... I should be good for life.

Cheers,

Jay

Friday's a comin' in a few hours...You ready XO??

I'm outta smokes and not gonna buy any in the next hour so best of luck

Skipper

<S>

Snapple, as time passes after you quit, you will find your lung capacity improving again, and it wont take very long. The body has an amazing ability to heal itself. If you are going to exercise, that will go far in improving the lungs. It will just be a little tough at first so go easy. Dont expect to be superman right off the bat.

Snapple,

good luck, it is a real B*%^@ at first but it will get better! the patch helped me out and as PC stated you will be amazed at how much better you will feel! (You can do this!)

I have been smoke free for 3 months now and every know and then I do want a smoke, but after a short time you are going to notice a smell. (oh man does it STINK!) this smell is going to be in your car (if you smoked there) on your clothing etc. You will wonder why you never noticed it before! Good Luck, you are soon to join the ranks or the reformed smoker!

-Vercingetorix

(proud to be SMOKE-FREE or AKA Damn I have Money!)

I CHEATED! Sorry, made it through my classes today, I was fiegning the whole time, by 3 oclock I couldnt take it anymore, so I smoked one, just one, I have made it on one single cigarette today, thats a new low for me. Tommorrow I will be totally smoke free, I made it through work without smoking, just chewed my gum the whole time. Im still chewing gum, and I've noticed that... yes I am much much more irritable. I really think this could work, I think I am suppressing my bodies addiction very well, but I just miss sucking that smoke deep down, and being like.... ummm ummm good! But the gum is helping.

Cold Turkey is the way to go I think, why prolong the addiction? I think its more of a mental thing with me, but what would I know, its only day number 1.

Cheers,

Jay

Well, i hope i'm not to late to help, my dad ended up quiting 2 times, the first was when i was born, then after he got out of his stressful job. He did it without those damn patches(back in the late 80s early 90s). Trying chewing lots of wrigleys gum, thats what my dad did(plus it gives u good breath). He went threw lots of gum, but he stopped smoking.