Sign in to follow this  
CowboyTodd41

Interesting Janes F/A-18 Addon

An accidental search of Mig-28 on google images brought me to a site which had this great addon.

mig28l.jpg

"Mig-28's! Nobodys ever been this close before!"

tgskinl.jpg

looks like this modder has been "keeping up foreign relations"

Oh I love that movie

Guest PhantomWarrior

roflol thats no MIG 28 its a janes "takeoff" on TOP GUN

In the begening Maverick and Goose intercept the "MIG". First of all it is designated Mig-28. Mig's are only assigned odd numbers. Second the "MIG" is really a U.S. fighter called an F-5.

In the early to mid eighties, how many Soviet fighters were there for Hollywood to use in making a movie with? Not that many. The Navy's Top Gun program used American fighters to represent Soviet fighters. And the F-5 Tiger was used in the aggressor role. Most of the public watching this movie would probably care less if it was an American fighter playing a MIG for Top Gun.

it's also a rockin mission! :D try it...those pesky F-5...oh I mean those darn migs! 8)

Speaking of the public not knowing the difference, I seem to recall a scene in the movie, "The Final Countdown", where an F-8 Crusader was launched to do reconnaissance; but when it recovered, it suddenly became an A-7 Corsair.......

Same aircraft manufacturer, Ling Temco Vought (LTV); but a slighly different aircraft mod.

Chief W.

Thats just sloppy. :?

Have you seen Behind Enemy Lines? Thats another of those movies where they put in just enough realism to fool the masses. Parts of it are so bad though, like having an SA-9 trail an F/A-18. Not track, TRAIL. Like, it maintained station almost, lol. Then, after the F/A-18 managed to dodge it, the missile turned, like 140 degrees, and REACQUIRED.

Funniest part of the movie though, Hackman directs the downed WSO guy (I forget his name) to an extraction point. So, it goes through how hard it is for the guy to get to the extraction point, and how Hackman is all worried. When he finally reaches the position, and radios back that he is ready to be exfiltrated, Hackman says they can't pick him up, and he should go to such and such position. As soon as the WSO gets off the radio, Hackman makes a big scene like, "I WANT TO KNOW HIS POSITION! WHERE IS HE?"

Like he said he was at the damn extraction point you sent him to, jackass. You should know where he is!

Aaarggghhh, the movie's plot sucks. Only cool part about the whole thing is that they are reasonably accurate as far as equipment is concerned.

thats top gun for ya.

they used F-5 For the Mig 28's in the Movie

then Charlie says " We Will be Using A-4's and F-5's as Our Mig Simulators"

lol Contradictory statments in movies..

hey now, I still love top gun. it may horribly innacurate but it's still FUN. and that's what counts for me. if I want realism, I'll go read Red Storm Rising for the 1,000th time

Larry Bond is a fantastic writer! (Tom Clancy was OK early on too). If you like RSR, you might look up Red Pheonix by Larry Bond as well.

Heh, Red Storm Rising, by Microprose, was my first bit PC Simulation software. Sub hunting is raging CGA graphics..WOOT!

Damn straight, Cowboy. Thats my favorite book of ALL time.