Sign in to follow this  
SpaceHogg

Completely removing mirrors in the cockpit?

In the mig-17 which uses the f-104 green cockpit at marcfighters, the mirrors are removed, can this be done with ALL the cockpits? i don't use the mirrors in flight so I thought it would be beneficial to get rid of those big grey plates that are stuck to the canopy when mirrors are set OFF...

You will need the cockpit.ini file, so I am assuming you have that. All the edits below are found in the cockpit.ini

Here's what you need to do:

Add these two lines to the list of instruments. Make sure that the numbers are continuous and that these are next in the sequence.

Instrument[049]=Mirror1_frame

Instrument[050]=Mirror2_frame

This will allow us to assign a movement type to the mirror frames as well as the mirror faces. (which are already in the intrument list)

Next, locate the [Mirror1] and [Mirror2] sections further down in the file.

Change them like this:

[Mirror1]

Type=RADAR_MODE_SELECTOR

NodeName=mirror_right

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=9

[Mirror2]

Type=RADAR_MODE_SELECTOR

NodeName=mirror_left

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=9

What this does is assign the LIGHT movement type to the node. This is a on/off type of movement. You can also look at it as visible/invisible. Since the RADAR_MODE_SELECTOR does not have a selection as number 9, this will make the node invisible all the time.

Next, We need to do the same thing for the mirror frames:

[Mirror1_frame]

Type=RADAR_MODE_SELECTOR

NodeName=mirror_frame_right

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=9

[Mirror2_frame]

Type=RADAR_MODE_SELECTOR

NodeName=mirror_frame_left

MovementType=LIGHT

ItemNumber=9

How do I know what the node names for the mirror frames are? All I did was open the cockpit.lod file in notepad and searched the file for the word "mirror" the node names are in plain text in the lod file. You can also use a hex editor to do this.

You can take this a step further and remove other instruments too, all you need to know is the node name.

I do not have the cockpit ini. file, where do I find it? will I have to extract it using the sp1 extract utility? Thank you for the detailed information in regards to the mirrors. if i an get this started i would like to put a package out containing the un-mirrored cockpit's and offer it as a d-load for the others.

I do not have the cockpit ini. file, where do I find it? will I have to extract it using the sp1 extract utility? Thank you for the detailed information in regards to the mirrors. if i an get this started i would like to put a package out containing the un-mirrored cockpit's and offer it as a d-load for the others.

Oh, ok. I couldn't remember is the Marcfighers green cockpit came with a cocpit.ini file. Use the CAT extractor on the ObjectData.cat file and extract the F-104G_cockpit.ini and move it into the MiG-17F directory.

Make sure that your MiG-17F.ini file has the F-104 cockpit listed.

If you want to use the F-100 instead, since it doesn't have a radar, the node names are mirror and mirror_frame.

I can not get into the LOD using the note pad, and when I try the Hex editor it display's up to 4 different LOD files for each cockpit type. when I do the search it always says "String not found" any Ideas? thx